In Write with the Best, literary passages from respected and well-loved authors are used to teach students how to write. Creative activities break the writing into manageable chunks and help students identify what makes a literary work “great”.
Students are encouraged to make writing more vivid, and the student ultimately produces writing that models the genre of the literary passage. Guidelines for evaluating and grading writing, suggestions for adapting the curriculum for different learning styles, and student proofreading and writing guides are also valuable parts of the program.
Each daily lesson takes only 15-45 minutes and is addressed directly to the student. The program includes all needed excerpts from all of the literature that it models so that teachers are not required to purchase additional material.
This curriculum is a genuine, incremental (step-by-step) program which requires minimal teacher involvement towards the goal of mastery of creative writing. Hearts for Him Through Time: Creation to Christ schedules lessons from this guide twice weekly. For grades 3 -12, but best suited for grades 4-8.
Included in Write with the Best:
- Describing an Object from Jules Verne – a Place from Charles Dickens – a Character from Daniel Defoe
- Dialogue from Kenneth Grahame
- The Short Story from O. Henry
- Fables from Aesop
- Friendly Letters from Robert Louis Stevenson
- Poetry – Rhyming Verse from William Wordsworth
- The Ballad or Narrative Poem from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
You can view a sample of this book here.