Preparing Hearts for His Glory
For Ages 8-10, Extending to Ages 11-12
Gather around the fire for faith-filled stories as Preparing Hearts for His Glory retells the sweep of history as you’ve never heard it before. Enjoy Creation with Adam and Eve, live through the Ice Age after the Flood, enter Canaan with Joshua, see Rome rise as Greece falls, spread the joyful news of Christ’s Resurrection, become a knight in the Middle Ages, join East to West with Marco Polo, usher in the Renaissance and Reformation, witness the rise and fall of nations, and wait expectantly for Christ’s return! Through 35 exciting weeks of Preparing Hearts for His Glory, your child will explore the history of the world, make enduring connections with Scripture, and recognize God as the ultimate author and storyteller.
Designed for ages 8-10, with extensions for ages 11-12, Preparing Hearts for His Glory makes teaching quick and easy by bringing together engaging daily lessons, captivating books, and memorable projects – all from a solid biblical perspective. This unique combination makes school enjoyable to teach and fosters a love for learning and a love for the Lord. Take a look at the delightful array of literature and subjects your child will get to experience in Preparing Hearts for His Glory.
NOTE: Not all subjects are pictured (math, grammar, Emerging Reader’s Set 2, Drawn into the Heart of Reading, and options for older students are excluded).
Need help with placement?
Visit our “Guide Placement” page!
Preparing Hearts for His Glory integrates a wide range of subjects with a unit study feel, giving your child a chronological and narrative overview of world history from Creation to modern times. The guide also teaches essential skills, while giving you the option to customize key individual subjects like grammar and math. To learn more about what Preparing Hearts for His Glory includes, have a look below!
What's Included in
A Snapshot of History
Preparing Hearts for His Glory interweaves biblical and world history, taking students on a sweeping trip through time from the day of Creation through the modern era. With a unique blend of living books, engaging activities, and a biblical perspective, Preparing Hearts for His Glory will help students experience history as one continuous story to be enjoyed!
- Discover world history from Creation to the 20th century with A Child’s History of the World. This well-loved classic provides a one-year overview of world history, featuring stories told in a highly-engaging, narrative style.
- Enjoy Grandpa’s Box – a retelling of 42 key Bible stories showcasing God’s plan for redemption from Genesis to Revelation. Join Grandpa as he uses his special box of wooden carvings to share Bible stories with his grandchildren emphasizing what can be learned about God.
- Discover how the Ice Age fits into the biblical timeline in Life in the Great Ice Age. Not only will readers learn what life would have been like during the Ice Age, they will also find out the scientific reasons for this puzzling period of time!
- Develop Christian character qualities as you hear the stories of 15 faithful men and women in Hero Tales – Vol I. This inspiring collection presents true stories from heroes like Amy Carmichael, Samuel Morris, Martin Luther, Harriet Tubman, Dwight L. Moody, John Wesley, and many more!
- Connect with the history readings through insightful reflection questions and related Bible passages. Teach retelling and writing skills with guided Charlotte-Mason style oral and written narration sessions.
- Practice beginning research skills through weekly research assignments on topics inspired by the history stories. Help students learn how to use a source to research a provided topic and orally answer one or more questions.
- Train students to use alphabetization, dictionary skills, and contextual clues to complete weekly vocabulary activities using assigned words from the history stories.
- Illustrate a staircase timeline of major events from history using cards provided within the Student Notebook. This timeline will feature students’ own artwork and help them visually track the flow of history.
- Bring history to life with fun projects like designing a spiritual coat of arms, creating an Ice Age cave painting, baking Egyptian seed cakes, planning a medieval feast, making a chart of “Spices from India,” and designing an Olympic brochure!
- Complete a beautiful history notebook filled with colorful pictures, written narrations, vocabulary entries, and timeline cards – a keepsake to treasure for years to come!
- Include older students by using our optional Extension Package. This set of living books adds a fascinating layer to the history study and was chosen for older, independent readers.
An Introduction to Independence
The “Independent History Study” section of the Preparing Hearts for His Glory guide provides 12 incredible books for kids to read that correspond with the time periods in the guide. Self-study plans include daily readings along with beautiful full-color notebook entries. The readings and assignments are meant to be easy and short enough for children to complete on their own. This important part of the guide trains students to follow written directions and gain independence.
- Enjoy a collection of fascinating history books that can be read independently! Solve a riddle from Ancient Egypt, win a historic battle in Troy, sail to frozen new lands, live faithfully in Galilee, discover the New World with Columbus, build a theater with Shakespeare, pen music with Mozart, and study the Word as you come to know the Lord better!
- Learn to sketch with Draw and Write through History. Draw Noah’s Ark, an Egyptian Pyramid, a silkworm moth, the Trojan Horse, and more!
- Give Charlotte-Mason style oral narrations based on the history readings. Copy quotes, literary passages, and Bible verses in cursive as well as completing sketches and writing facts in the Independent History Study Notebook. At this age, notebook entries are mainly limited to copying, listing, and drawing from a model, with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
A Collection of Read-Alouds
Experience stirring historical fiction, insightful fables, inspiring nonfiction, and classic literature as read-alouds. Enjoy reading to your child each day as you make connections in a heartfelt way.
- Read living books linked with your history study. These books provide the historical backdrop for each time period, giving a panoramic view of history.
- Marvel at Noah’s ark, flee Egypt with the Israelites, learn from the fables of Aesop, live as a Greek slave in Rome, seek Jesus in Jerusalem, and endure capture by Viking raiders.
- Seek your destiny in medieval times, run away to join Shakespeare’s theater, live as a hobo in Paris, and hide Jewish children from the Nazis – all just a sampling of the stories that await you!
- Share personal connections that relate to the story, consider the impact of faith on the characters’ lives, compare life in different time periods, and practice oral narration by retelling the story.
A Trek Through Geography
Preparing Hearts for His Glory includes weekly geography exercises that directly relate to the history stories. As students use a globe (or world map) to find and recognize historic places, they will learn how geography has impacted history.
- Discover locations from long ago, trace the routes of famous explorers, and note how nations rose and fell in power.
- Track the changing countries and boundaries through history, notice how bodies of water were important for travel and commerce, and recognize how key geographical features have remained unchanged by the passage of time.
- Learn about continents, oceans, cardinal directions, hemispheres, latitude, longitude, geographical zones (tropical, temperate, and arctic), and time zones.
A Foundation of Scripture
Preparing Hearts for His Glory encourages students to read God’s Word and connect personally with the Psalms. Readings from key passages, Scripture memory work, and songs that set the Psalms to music provide natural connections. This year of study will help students begin a lifelong habit of digging into Scripture for guidance.
- Read and discuss passages from Psalms using heartfelt questions that encourage students to reflect upon God’s Word.
- Identify the mood and purpose of each Psalm, and use prompts from your guide to apply the themes of each passage in prayer.
- Have a personal quiet time filled with prayer and praise based on the Psalms. This special time will help students transition into having their own personal Bible quiet time in future guides.
- Copy Scripture memory selections in a “Common Place Book.” This book will serve as a special journal to copy and store meaningful Scriptures.
- Memorize entire passages from the Psalms through repetition, hand motions, and beautifully-performed music from Kelly Crawford’s Lead Me to the Rock.
A Journey Through Literature
If you’re looking for Charlotte Mason curriculum, we’ve got you covered! Preparing Hearts for His Glory offers a choice of two options for literature study, based on the ability and reading level of your child. Use the Emerging Reader’s Set 2 to systematically build your child’s emerging reading skills, or choose our Drawn into the Heart of Reading program for your independent reader who is ready for more formal literature study.
- Build reading skills with our Emerging Reader’s Set 2! This set is recommended if your child has already completed the Emerging Reader’s Set 1 or can read beginning chapter books.
- Meet Buddy the first seeing eye dog, race against time to rescue a baby dolphin, solve the mystery of a runaway racehorse, fight a prairie fire with Cora Frear, deliver a secret message to Paul Revere, and pull together to save the family farm – all just a sampling of what awaits you!
- Discuss brief questions to check comprehension and get your child thinking about the day’s reading, as well as using short narration prompts to retell the story. As students discuss and engage with each reading, they will build retelling skills and make meaningful connections with the text.
- Encourage students to track their progress with our vibrantly-colored progress charts! After finishing each book, children get to place a provided sticker on the matching pathway space. Book by book, children will fill out the trail on their chart, adding stickers one by one until they triumphantly reach the end!
Drawn into the Heart of Reading
- Jump straight into the heart of reading with Drawn into the Heart of Reading, our literature program designed to help readers enjoy and evaluate great literature from a Christian perspective.
- Savor a wide scale of engaging literature while learning about different genres, story elements, and literary concepts. Choose books to read from your own library, or pick one of our amazing literature packages filled with character-building selections and time-tested classics that fit perfectly.
- Weigh characters by their actions and measure their decisions against the standard provided in the Bible. As students analyze literature from a biblical perspective, they will learn to recognize Godly character traits and apply them in daily life.
- Enjoy thought-provoking discussions and exciting projects tied to fascinating literature. As students dig beneath the surface of what they read, they’ll complete graphic-organizer style pages to solidify what they’ve learned.
Note: If you’d like to learn more about Drawn into the Heart of Reading, you can find more information here.
A Look at Grammar, Writing, and Spelling
Heart of Dakota teaches foundational language arts skills through a unique combination of Charlotte Mason-style dictation exercises, a choice of grammar options, and a variety of writing approaches. You can use your own resources for grammar and writing, or use our time-tested selections as planned in Preparing Hearts for His Glory.
- Enjoy thorough grammar and writing lessons with a choice of either Beginning Wisely or Building With Diligence. These comprehensive, God-honoring texts are easy-to-use and teach key concepts of grammar, mechanics, and writing. No matter which option you choose, both texts are scheduled in Preparing Hearts for His Glory.
- Learn creative writing skills and become familiar with paragraph structure, sentence variety, written directions, story-writing, note-taking, book reports, poetry, and more!
- Practice spelling using the Charlotte Mason method of studied dictation. Using passages provided in Preparing Hearts for His Glory, your child will study a passage and then reproduce it as you dictate the passage aloud. This process quickly builds writing skills while teaching spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
A Peek at Poetry
Preparing Hearts for His Glory introduces students to the classic poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson. Through shared poetry readings, discussions, and writing exercises, students will discover the enduring qualities that make Stevenson’s work timeless.
- Read and appreciate classic poems written by Robert Louis Stevenson. Learn about Stevenson’s life, gain exposure to unfamiliar vocabulary, and discover the meaning beneath the text as you discuss questions related to each poem.
- Learn creative writing skills by examining the style, content, pattern, and poetic devices of each poem. Guide students to practice these skills through weekly prewriting and writing exercises patterned after Stevenson’s poems.
- Choose from a variety of creative suggestions to share Robert Louis Stevenson’s poems with friends, family, and loved ones.
- Copy excerpts from each poem and choose your favorites to memorize and take to heart.
A Structure for Mathematics
Preparing Hearts for His Glory allows you to choose a level from the well-known Singapore Primary Math Series, use Math with Confidence, or pick Apologia’s Exploring Creation with Mathematics. Or, you can use your own math. For your convenience, daily schedules for two different Singapore Math levels are provided in the Preparing Hearts for His Glory guide. Math with Confidence and Apologia Math each have their own daily schedule, four-days a week, in their instructor guides.
Singapore Primary Math Series
- A choice of two Singapore levels is scheduled in Preparing Hearts for His Glory: Level 3A/3B or Level 4A/4B. Each level provides a full year of math, with the ‘A’ and ‘B’ books each equaling a semester.
- Utilize Singapore’s concise math texts to build problem-solving and critical thinking skills. By featuring an approach that moves from concrete to pictorial to abstract, Singapore math teaches advanced concepts in a way that leaves children feeling math can be understood.
- Visualize and solve problems quickly and efficiently by following the methods modeled in the text. Speech and thought bubbles appear throughout the text to demonstrate the thought process of problem solving, making even the most challenging problems accessible.
- Learn new mathematical concepts through a spiral progression that builds on concepts already taught. If a child doesn’t get a concept the first time around, rest easy knowing the concept will come around again in later levels.
- Use the placement tests available at www.singaporemath.com/placement-tests to find the right placement for your child. Be sure to select the Primary Mathematics edition of the placement test to match the Primary Math U.S. edition used in the Preparing Hearts for His Glory guide. It helps to note that Singapore Math is considered advanced as children move through the program.
Math with Confidence Series
- Enjoy Math with Confidence! This easy-to-use program features short, daily lessons 4 days each week. Scripted, open-and-go lessons are both friendly and approachable with hands-on games, activities, real-life context, and helpful tips. Straightforward, colorful worksheets help students practice new concepts and review previously-learned material.
- Focus on one concept at a time for several weeks to build deep, connected knowledge (known as the mastery approach). Math with Confidence also provides continual, ongoing review so your child fully grasps core grade-level skills by the end of the year (known as the spiral approach). Optional enrichment lessons are included along with suggestions for math picture books to enjoy together.
- Teach each level of Math with Confidence using an Instructor Guide, a Student Workbook, and common household materials (like coins, a ruler, crayons, a clock, small toys/stuffed animals, etc). Math With Confidence is currently available for grades K-3 with a new level releasing each year through grade 6.
Apologia Math Series
- Enjoy Apologia’s hands-on, interactive approach to math, filled with activities, projects, and games that help students comprehend new concepts. See connections between math, our world, and our Creator as students dive deep into the beauty of mathematics.
- Introduce concepts through a similar format as each lesson is presented in a 4-step progression: hands-on activity, pictorial presentation, abstract presentation, and application. Practice sections reinforce learning, while hands-on projects make learning stick! Mastery is encouraged with built-in review.
- Follow a weekly schedule, 4 days a week, that reflects a systematic progression from one skill to the next. Each level requires the Teaching Guide and an All-in-One Student Text (as well as a selection of household objects). Colorful and age-appropriate lesson layouts make learning exciting!
- Use the placement tests available at www.apologia.com to find the right placement for your child. Exploring Creation with Mathematics is currently available for grades 1-5 with a new level releasing each year through grade 6.
An Exploration of Science
Preparing Hearts for His Glory features a unique, living books approach to science that integrates notebooking, narration, relevant Scriptures, and hands-on experiments. As students delve into life science, physical science, and earth science, they will find what they learn matches up with the Bible.
- Use the visually stunning One Small Square books to explore the arctic tundra, cactus desert, and coral reef. Discover how dinosaurs fit with Creation in The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible. Study the stars in the heavens as you locate and identify constellations with Find the Constellations.
- Observe major historic advances in science as you read fascinating books about the lives of famous explorers, inventors, and scientists. Sail with Columbus, invent with DaVinci, fight diseases with Pasteur, and experiment with Einstein.
- Create science notebook entries, give oral narrations, answer questions, become familiar with science-related vocabulary, and practice biblical application.
- Conduct quick, hands-on experiments and activities related to the science readings and log the results in a science notebook. Each experiment is easy to complete, uses the scientific method, and is guaranteed to make each day’s discoveries memorable.
- Draw connections between science and history as topics, people, and events overlap between the two subjects. As students read about the Israelites wandering in the desert, they will study the desert habitat in science. When reading about seafaring explorers, students will study the coral reef. As students read about Columbus, da Vinci, Pasteur, and Einstein in history, they will also study their contributions in science.
Can I Tailor This to
Fit My Child?
Yes! We’ve provided plenty of opportunities to customize. You can choose between various levels of math and language arts, or use your own resources. A choice of reading options is available to suit your child’s reading level, as we provide both an Emerging Reader’s Set and our flexible Drawn into the Heart of Reading program. Last, you have a choice of either our Deluxe Package books to teach your growing students independence, or our Extension Package books to add a layer to the history study for older students. No matter what you choose, Preparing Hearts for His Glory pulls it all together for you!
What Do Other
People Have to Say?
“I am using Preparing Hearts with my 2 girls and am amazed at the thought provoking in-depth conversations we have been having! Everyday!! This whole curriculum is saturated by the Holy Spirit.”
Georgette in Levittown, NY
Preparing Hearts for His Glory includes 35 engaging units with open-and-go daily plans that pull everything together. Units include plans for four days a week, taking 4 hours a day for students to complete all subjects. Each day is conveniently displayed on a two-page spread, making it easy to organize your day at a glance. Let’s have a better look inside, so you can see what using Preparing Hearts for His Glory is like.
See the Video
In this video, Julie gives a brief overview of Preparing Hearts for His Glory including a quick peek into the daily plans. After watching this video, you’ll have a clear picture of how each day is organized and a better understanding of what to expect from our complete, Christ-centered, Charlotte Mason-style program.
Each day of Preparing Hearts for His Glory is organized on a simple two-page spread divided into “Learning Through History” and “Learning the Basics.” Each subject is contained in its own box coded ‘T,’ ‘S,’ or ‘I’ to show whether it is “Teacher-directed,” “Semi-Independent,” or “Independent.” Boxes can be done in any order, and subjects are seamlessly rotated to cover everything you need. Once you complete each box on the two-page spread, you are done!
Our stunning, full-color Student Notebook becomes a special portfolio showcasing what students have learned on their journey through history. As students work through Preparing Hearts for His Glory, they’ll complete beautiful pages filled with colorful pictures, written narrations, vocabulary entries, and timeline cards – a keepsake to treasure for years to come! An additional Independent History Study Notebook features graphic organizers, sketching practice, and cursive copywork of quotes, literary passages, and Bible verses.
Preparing Hearts for His Glory features open-and-go daily plans with an appealing mix of oral, written, hands-on, and academic activities. Daily lessons incorporate a variety of learning styles and a perfect blend of teacher and child. Step-by-step directions, a careful balance of skills, and helpful key ideas bring everything together. By keeping our design both constant and coherent, we have created a strong foundation you can rely on year after year.
NOW IN COLOR
NOW IN COLOR
Now that you’ve seen a little bit about Preparing Hearts for His Glory, are you ready to shop? We can’t wait for you to see what’s in store!
Not sure you’re in the right place? If your child is too young or too old for Preparing Hearts for His Glory, we’ve got you covered.
Need something younger?
Have a look at Bigger Hearts for His Glory. It might be just right for your child.
Need something older?
Have a look at Creation to Christ. It might be just the fit you need.
Need something younger?
Have a look at Bigger Hearts for His Glory. It might be just right for your child.
Need something older?
Have a look at Creation to Christ. It might be just the fit you need.
Still want to know more about Preparing Hearts for His Glory? Have no fear – there’s more here! See the following excellent resources for more in-depth information about this program.