French

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

French

Post by jer2911mom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 am

Hi,

My dd would like to study French for her high school foreign language credits. She has been using Duolingo this year in 7th grade just to get familiar with the language, and could continue on with that for 8th grade without assigning credit to it. I was wondering if HOD has any recommendations for a French sequence for high school that mirrors the Spanish sequence (and if you would consider adding that to the guides, pretty please!). :) If not, I was wondering if anyone else can recommend a program they like. I have a whole list of options, but I'd love to hear some recommendations.

Thank you!
Kathy

jellybeanmum

Re: French

Post by jellybeanmum » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:59 pm

I don't speak for HOD, but French is what my son opted to learn too. It's also the most common second language where we live {currently not the USA.} My son has used DuoLingo as well as Rosetta Stone. If you keep an eye on the RS Homeschool FB page you can score an amazing deal during their sales. We ended up with all 5 levels for $139 which is pretty amazing.

FWIW, I have no qualms awarding credit for use with Duo considering it's what schools are using, but also I figure if my son used it & was then capable of communicating IN FRENCH with a French speaking native, he accomplished what he set out to do. ;)

jer2911mom

Re: French

Post by jer2911mom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Thank you! We are trying an online class, and will see how it goes. The teacher supplements the text and worksheets with Duolingo, so I'm thankful my dd already has experience with it.
Hopefully the class will work out!

Kathy