returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Post Reply
sinceLHFHG
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:16 am

returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by sinceLHFHG » Tue May 01, 2018 12:13 pm

This is a difficult post to write, and I'm sure I won't be able to ask all of my questions the first time around, so a little background first. We have homeschooled from the beginning, and as my ID indicates, since LHFHG. Last fall I put my oldest three in public HS. I needed to spend time with my younger children. It's been a good year all around. My DDs love school and they're doing well in all their classes, and I've enjoyed one-on-one time with my younger children. My only issue is they don't do as much work as they did when they were in HOD, but they don't see this as a negative. Aside from their English class, which is a semester in length, they don't do much writing. I don't want them to lose this skill, because we've worked so hard to develop it.

My DH will support this decision, but he knows how upset my high schoolers are going to be. We've never been the type to let the children rule the roost, but they're getting older now and I want to be sensitive to their needs. They are very involved in youth group and missions, so they do have a social outlet.

Have any of you mothers been through this? They are under the impression that I'm going to wreck their lives. I would like for them to get a job and start saving for college. And suggestions? I could really use some encouragement.

annaz
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by annaz » Tue May 01, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking to bring them home or supplement their English? :D
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

sinceLHFHG
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:16 am

Re: returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by sinceLHFHG » Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 am

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The goal is to bring them home and continue with HOD through graduation, have them get a job, and save for college. They, however, want to continue going to school because they really enjoy it and it is easy. My complaint is that I am not satisfied with the education they are receiving. They can understand my point and even agree with me, but they want to be with their friends.

Maybe homeschooling works best for the kids who would rather be at home. I don't know.

I have more specific questions about what I would need to do because of the classes they took but I need to get back to work. I will write later.

annaz
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by annaz » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am

sinceLHFHG wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear.

The goal is to bring them home and continue with HOD through graduation, have them get a job, and save for college. They, however, want to continue going to school because they really enjoy it and it is easy. My complaint is that I am not satisfied with the education they are receiving. They can understand my point and even agree with me, but they want to be with their friends.

Maybe homeschooling works best for the kids who would rather be at home. I don't know.

I have more specific questions about what I would need to do because of the classes they took but I need to get back to work. I will write later.
Ha-ha, yes children do tend to choose easy, even when they don't know why they chose, what they chose! And we all know that school shouldn't be about "friends." I have never put my dd in school, so it would be hard for me to answer this question. I do know that I disagree that "homeschooling does not work best for kids who'd rather be at home." Given the amount of options available to homeschooled families now, that would not be true. In fact, I see more homeschooled families moving toward that public education mindset and it saddens me so, so much.

Children tend to put friends before family when in a public school atmosphere and it's a difficult battle to deal with due to peer/social dependence. I think it's a heart issue with kids more than a school issue and the heart issue would have to be dealt with first.
Last edited by annaz on Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

my3sons
Posts: 10604
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by my3sons » Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 am

Welcome back to HOD! You asked some good questions! There will be some transitioning back into homeschooling. I think 2 things will really help! One, is to make sure you have planned time for them to have some free time, for them to work, and for them to homeschool. I want to encourage you, this is possible! Just put some definites down on paper. Two, is to make sure you commit to homeschooilng for the rest of high school. If they think you will change your mind again, they will be in opposition to this right now. Likewise, it is difficult to transition back into public/private high school once you've homeschooled. Many schools are not friendly to accepting homeschool grades unless your children attended an accredited school, which basically means someone else did the teaching and the grading than the parent, as the student attended an online school or physical 'day school.'

I think you have some excellent reasons for bringing your kiddos home! I agree with them all. My oldest is graduating high school this year having used HOD the entire time. He has learned so much from homeschooling, he is a strong student- especially in writing, and he has been able to work to earn money for college. He should be debt free when he graduates college. He has also loved planned times each week to get together with his cousins! They have a movie/bring whatever snacks you want night every Friday. He works 3 afternoons a week at a job he loves and has been promoted so much so that he can see himself working in this same job after college! He plays basketball with his younger brother and with men ages 18-50 at our gym once every week. He goes fishing/hunting with my dh whenever the weather permits. He also has had a lot of say in how his school day goes! He is a morning person, so he starts school at 6 AM. He likes to read at night, so he does his living library at night before bed. Basically, he's done with his school by 1 PM lunch every day. I share this just because he found the benefits of homeschooling (i.e. doing school when it worked best for him and for me; having weekly time with his cousins; having time to play basketball/fish/hunt; earning money to be debt free upon college graduation) to outweigh the fact that homeschooling was harder and required more of him. One last thing - having homeschooling be Christ-centered for high school is the best benefit IMO! We love this. It has kept a Christian focus to his education! And that has only strengthened his faith and our ability to talk about Christ with him in a natural way. He has also remained close to our family. He regards his brothers as his best friends and enjoys spending time with them, even though they are much younger. He has grown man responsibilities, like clearing snow with a skid steer, or mowing our entire yard. I think this will help him be a mature man for his own family someday!

Maybe this isn't exactly answering your question, but I hope something here can help! You are one wise mama to see a change would be good! You are making a good decision, but I won't say it will be easy. Stick to it, and you will see the fruit given time! It will be worth the transition that at first may be hard. God bless!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USII, MTMM
Wife to Rich for 25 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 20, 17, and 13
Author of Women's Devotional https://www.ebay.com/itm/293355757184
Blogger https://my3sons-julie.blogspot.com/
Sister to Carrie

sinceLHFHG
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:16 am

Re: returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by sinceLHFHG » Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm

annaz wrote:
Children tend to put friends before family when in a public school atmosphere and it's a difficult battle to deal with due to peer/social dependence. I think it's a heart issue with kids more than a school issue and the heart issue would have to be dealt with first.
[/quote]
Yes, that is a problem for sure and one that will only get worse if I don't do something. Sadly I didn't realize how quickly the tide would turn during the span of just one school year...and I have "good" kids!
my3sons wrote:Welcome back to HOD!
Actually I'm still doing HOD with my younger two, so don't think I've left completely!!! We're having a good year with CTC and Revival to Revolution. :D :D :D
my3sons wrote: make sure you commit to homeschooilng for the rest of high school.
I agree. I will have to make a firm commitment and stick with it so they will know this is how it's going to be. I want them to understand I am on their team and I just want the best for them.
my3sons wrote: Many schools are not friendly to accepting homeschool grades unless your children attended an accredited school,
So true, and I don't want to go through that again. I was made to feel terrible, but now I laugh knowing what I now know!
my3sons wrote: He works 3 afternoons a week at a job he loves and has been promoted so much so that he can see himself working in this same job after college!
I just have to say God is good! I know he has excellent plans for my children too, if we'll just do our part and trust Him for the rest.
my3sons wrote: You are making a good decision, but I won't say it will be easy. Stick to it, and you will see the fruit given time! It will be worth the transition that at first may be hard
It has never been easy to homeschool, but HOD has been a wonderful answer to prayer all these years. My thought was yes, I want something Christ centered, but also something that gets done. To me, that is what I consider a successful program.

The question is, what do I do now? This is where things really get complicated. I know the design of HOD is to master the skills in one guide before starting the next. My oldest did WG for freshman year so she has that under her belt.

World History is required freshman year at their HS, so all three have taken it and have credit for it. However I did buy the HOD WH guide, the read alouds, one of the history books, and the English lit books just in case they wanted to supplement. Nah. Anyway I want to mention I have that on hand.

Would it be recommended that my oldest starts with the US History 1 guide for her Junior year? Would that be too big of jump from World Geography? Would it be recommended that she do the World history lit before the US History 1 lit?

Since my younger high school students haven't done any of the HOD high school guides yet, would they start with world geography?

I don't want to talk about math or science. That is not my concern at this point.

Carrie
Site Admin
Posts: 8061
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 pm

Re: returning to HOD after one year of public high school ?

Post by Carrie » Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 am

This is a great thread with tons of practical wisdom and thought being shared by everyone on this thread (including the original poster)! What a blessing you are all being to so many who will read this thread. :D

I'll weigh in a bit as we dialogue about what might be a fit for your older kiddos as you consider returning to HOD with them. For your oldest, who has done WG, and who has also done WH at the high school, I would be inclined to move that child into US1. I would also allow your oldest to choose between doing the literature in WH or the literature in US1 for next year. Either would work. However, the following year, your oldest would need to do US1 literature for her final year of high school (as American Literature is an entrance requirement for most colleges). Another option would be to do the literature in US1 this year and then choose between the literature in US2 or the literature in WH for her final year of high school. :D

For your other high school students, I would begin with WG. Then, I would likely jump over WH in a similar fashion as to what your oldest student will be doing. I hate for them to miss WH, but if they have taken it at the high school level already we have to be mindful of earning needed credits by graduation. I wouldn't put your other high school students in US1 to begin with though. WG will be needed as a foundation for high school work with HOD for them. I would do the writing that is scheduled in the core HOD guide each student is using. So, your oldest would do the writing scheduled in US1 and your younger high school students would do the writing scheduled within WG. :D

Feel free to pop back and share your thoughts! You are doing a great job of weighing your options and pondering what is best for your girls. It is obvious you care deeply about them, their education, and their faith. It can be difficult to know what to do at times. If you need encouragement from someone who did something similar, you may want to private message Lynn H from this board. She brought her daughter home mid-way through high school and has such wisdom in this area. She may have some encouragement for you as I know it ended up being a positive situation. :D Her son is also graduating this year from doing HOD through high school.

Blessings,
Carre

Post Reply