Wanted to share a tip in regards to keeping track of books.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arstephia

Wanted to share a tip in regards to keeping track of books.

Post by arstephia » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 pm

I now own all of the guides from Little Hearts to MTMM and of course all of the books that go with them! :shock: I wanted to pass on what I have done to keep sane and keep all of the books straight. I put on the spine near the bottom of every book associated with a guide a colored sticker. (some need to be reinforced with tape depending on book material) My LHFHG set all have a happy face sticker. My BHFHG all have a frog sticker. Preparing all have a green dot, CTC has a pink dot, RTR has a yellow dot, etc. That has been a HUGE help as we are now at the end of the year and are putting the sets away for the year. In clearing off the shelves, I can see at a glance what book needs to go in what box. It also helps when cleaning the house and picking up a book and trying to remember who was reading what book (especially for my older two.) The dot on the spine tells me who it belongs to. The guides/sets that aren't being currently used are easily stored in banker boxes with the catalog pages so I can see at a glance what should be in there. (My daughter has told me I have to keep all of my HOD sets for her kids someday, so no reselling of my sets... they are practically family heirlooms now! :lol: ) Anyway, I thought I would pass that tip on. I am cleaning my school room area out for the summer and was very thankful for that little system, and thought others might benefit, especially if you start accumulating guides/sets over the years like I have.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

raindrops

Re: Wanted to share a tip in regards to keeping track of boo

Post by raindrops » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm

That is a great tip. I have the 3 youngest guides and put gold stars on the spines of Beyond. I think I can keep the other 2 sets straight since they don't involve too many titles.

There are a lot of cute tiny stickers out there. I am picking something super cute for the other guides when I get them! I already had those stars and just stuck them on.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 pm

That is a great tip! Just wondering what dot stickers you have found work best? The ones I have gotten in the past always seem to come off! :( I really need to do this too, though, since I own a lot of guides/packages -- SEVEN and counting!!! :shock:
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 pm

That is EXACTLY what I do! It works really great. Nice, easy system.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I do something similar, but with a label maker. I label each book using a label maker, for instance Little Hearts has an "L"and the image of a heart on it, Bigger is a "B"and an image of a heart, CtC, RtR, R2R, MtMM and so on as the guides come out. I reinforce the label with a strip of clear packing tape and have had no issues with them coming off! It works great and is super easy to sort them all by guide!
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Wonderful tip! I never thought of different stickers.

I use labels and color them to match the guides. I use white for Little Hands, red for Little Hearts, dark blue for Beyond, yellow for Bigger, light blue for Preparing, and dark green for DITHOR. That's as far as we have. I also mark on there what guide, what book set, and what genre, they are. I suppose I am being super picky about that, but I have found it to be a great help to me! Especially as I have been going through our books, and discovering some from higher levels that I already have. Going to start labeling them soon.

Have fun!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Like. Like. Like.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Love :) I used Washi tape to code the spines of all the books. by son has rolled some of it though. So your suggestion to reinforce with tape is noted!

pamh

Post by pamh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Love this idea!!! Thanks for passing it on.

Pam

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:48 am

I have just put a permanent marker dot on the spines of the books in different colors. I didn't do it for LHTH but have for LHFHG, BLHFHG, and Bigger. I imagine as I go on I might end up needing more different colors than I have, I guess I could also just write the initials of the program - RtR, RevtoRev, CtC, MtMM etc. We will see what I come up with (or what great ideas I find on the board).
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my12kiddos

Post by my12kiddos » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 am

Colored duct tape works better then the dots.

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:42 am

I use the vinyl electrical tape, it comes in many different colors and stays on great! I did a combining of categorizing by guides and subject so our system looks like this:

blue for history books
orange for science books
red for storytime/read aloud books
purple for emerging readers
green for DITHOR books (then I use a sharpie to write the level # on the tape)
white for all other chapter books (kiddos know they are free to read these whenever)

The color-coding makes it super easy for me and my children to return a book in its proper place! I bought our tape at Lowes ($3 or $4 for a large roll) but then found you can get them much cheaper at a local supply store ($1 or so a piece).

Hope that helps! :D
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Yes! I love having my books color coded. I also mark with EXT for the extensions. Level readers I mark with the number.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR