I would love to hear from those using DITHOR?

If you have used "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading", please share your experience with us.
MamaMary

I would love to hear from those using DITHOR?

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I am not totally understanding how this works? Could someone give me a nutshell of what their day looks like:?:

How long have you used it:?:

What do you love about it:?:

Anything you don't like:?:

Did you order the book packages? :?:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

blessedmomof4

Re: I would love to hear from those using DITHOR?

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:26 pm

I am not totally understanding how this works? Could someone give me a nutshell of what their day looks like?:

DITHOR is exclusively for reading and probably adds about 30 minutes to our day, but I can't say if that's typical, as I have a daughter that is not a very strong reader.

We just started this term, it's been 11 weeks. We are using level 2/3.

I love that it is flexible-if you don't want to or can't get the book packs, you could use any books that are appropriate for your child's ability. The lesson plans cover 9 different genres of literature. The student book is used intermittently, and the amount of workbook work depends on the level-level 2/3 keeps written assignments to a minimum, but there is much discussion help in the Teacher book.

Nothing I can think of :)

Did you order the book packages?:

No, I have been finding the books at my local library, except for 2 titles (which I bought). But if you can afford it, it's nice to have everything on hand at home when you need it. :D

Lourdes

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 am

Lourdes,

Thank YOU this was so helpful. I guess what I'm not understanding is how it works. I printed everything off, and I see it says Genre at the top (Biography) would I teach this to all my children? What is the difference between the regular DITHOR and the 2/3 level? I mean does it cover the same things, but 2/3 if for that new reader?

I'm wondering "which" children to use this with and if it will add too much to our day if we are using two programs? (little hearts and Bigger)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:37 am

Mary,

There is one Teacher's Guide for DITHR that goes for grades 2-8. Each day of plans in the Teacher's Guide is divided into 3 levels (Level 2/3, Level 4/5, and Level 6/7/8). The Teacher's Guide directs you when to use the corresponding Level of Student Books.

The beauty of the program is that all of your children can study the same type of literature, like Biography, on their various levels at the same time even though they will each be reading different books. They will be united by studying the same genre, the same story elements, and the same Godly character traits.

Everyone stays on the same day and Genre in order to be able to come together as needed for group discussion times. So, everyone would be on Biography Day 1 at the same time, yet they may be doing different assignments. Then, they all progress on to Biography Day 2 and so on.

As far as doing DITHR along with LHFHG and Bigger...., our plans are written for you to do that and the time it takes is accounted into the daily total time planned for Bigger. DITHR is meant to be your literature study portion.

That being said, you can wait to start DITHR until you begin Preparing Hearts... if you wish, because there is a daily literature study component in the Storytime Box of the plans of BHFHG. Once you get to Preparing Hearts... the formal literature study will be left mainly for DITHR.

Here is a link to the Frequently Asked Questions about DITHR on our website which may help:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/faqs.php#F ... %20Reading:

Here is a link to the Sample Pages and the Introduction of DITHR:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/sample-pages.php

Here is a link to the various reviews which give more in-depth details about the program:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-reviews.php

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Mary! I am using Little Hearts..., Bigger..., and DITHR - so you just described my day! That covers all of the children I am homeschooling though, so I'm not sure if you have other children you are schooling as well. If not, I can say 100%, for sure, you can do all 3 easily. Our days are very enjoyable, not hurried, and full of times to go off on "bunny trails" if we want to do so.

Here's a nutshell of what our day looks like:
I posted a very general summary of our schedule at this post, and you can check that out:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11

If you are asking more specifically about DITHR though, here's a nutshell of what we're doing with that:
*We do DITHR 3 days a week, and it takes about 30 minutes a day (although I only help with about half or less of the 30 min.). I use the Guide and Level 2/3 of the student books. We are going through 5 of the 9 genres this year. (Last year, we did DITHR 3 days a week with Level 2/3 as well, but we did the other 4 genres.) So, in 2 years, I will have taught all 9 genres of Level 2/3. (Many moms do DITHR daily, and do all of Level 2/3 twice, just using harder books the second year of doing it. So that is an option too.) I only have one child in DITHR this year, however, I will soon have one child in Level 2/3 and one child in Level 4/5.
*I tutored for 3 years using DITHR with multiple children in multiple levels as well, prior to homeschooling my own children. I had 45 min. sessions, and covered several levels during that time. We'd begin by filling out the reading pace sheet with each child. Each "level" of reader read a different book that fit their reading level, but we all did the same genre. The guide lists which level needs the teacher and when. Usually, I started with either Level 2/3 or 4/5, depending what the guide said. The 2/3 level always read out loud to me, and the 4/5 read a page or two to me and read the rest silently. The 6/7/8 only read a paragraph or not at all out loud to me and read silently. Then I gave directions for independent work in their different levels of workbooks, and also did the discussions at that point. On the "all together" days, which are noted in the guide, we all did the lesson together, each child bringing his own book for the lesson. These "all together" lessons come up once every 5 days of plans or so, except for at the end of each genre when 5 days can be done all together if the group project is chosen. We always chose the group project when I had children in all 3 levels - it was fun and easy to do together! Hope that makes sense, be sure to ask more questions otherwise!

I used it 3 years tutoring other children, and 2 years with my own family.

Ahhh, where to begin?!? Well, I realized when I began using DITHR that I was missing entire genres from my home collection of books. I guess I was buying genres I loved. I have 3 sons, so you can imagine the genres I love are not typically the genres my boys love! That was a big realization for me. The balance of reading from every genre consistently was a huge bonus for me. I also like to choose what my children will read and the pace we are going to read at. It is important to me that my children continue to LOVE reading. Through tutoring, I realized that many children start out loving reading, and begin to almost hate it over time if it is taught in a way that makes them do TOO much with a book (i.e. if they had to do their spelling, vocabulary, worksheet after worksheet, questions upon questions, creative writing, book reports... overload!). DITHR is NOT like that. The questions are well-chosen (according to Bloom's Taxonomy, I believe), but they are short and do not take forever to discuss. The worksheets are more like graphic organizers, and they are always different (you know how some curriculums reuse their workbook pages over and over - kids get tired of that just like we do!). The kickoff and the wrap-up activities are an awesome way to keep the love of reading flowing too. I had 6th. grade boys that I tutored that had begun to hate reading that grew to love it again because of DITHR and the kickoffs and wrap-ups! The character trait is another thing I love. I like linking everything I can to Biblical training, and DITHR already does that for me in a very natural, meaningful way. It gives us a plan for talking about book characters who make wrong choices. Finally, I enjoy teaching reading in a way that almost feels like how I'd talk to my best friend about a great book I was reading. It's conversational... sort of like a book club... only with all of the parts of the story, genres, etc. taught and woven into it. Sorry that got long!

It doesn't go through high school.

Did you order the book packages?
Yes. I love the book packages. I have subbed in books if we've read some of the book packs already.

Mary, I'm not sure what reading levels your kiddos are at. Certainly reading levels are often very different than age levels. Without chatting with you about that, I would say that most moms I know using DITHR for the first time put all of their children in the Level 2/3 to give them a foundation to build on, especially since most moms haven't been teaching a lot of the parts of the story and genres before DITHR. Then, moms just choose different books for their different kids reading needs, making sure all of the books are in the same genre. Then, you'd just begin the plans looking at the Level 2/3 part only. You could just buy the Level 2/3 workbook, and you can copy it to use for your family. You can also buy each of your kids their own workbook too, if you don't want to copy the pages. On a side note, none of the pages say Level 2/3 in the workbook, so if you have "comparing" children, they won't be able to distinguish a level. I just always said this is the place everyone in DITHR begins. Next year, we're branching off. And then the next year, you could have your younger reader finish off 2/3, and your older reader begin 4/5. Also, the 6/7/8 workbook is written to the student and thus a little more difficult in that it is meant to be quite independent. Some moms do it in 9th. grade with their children too. So I don't think I'd ever start a child in DITHR at the 6/7/8 level unless they had a lot of prior learning about parts of the story, genres, etc.

WHEW! That got long... sorry! I'm sitting here quite sick in bed though, so thanks for giving me a great way to pass some time as I recuperate. Hope that helps some, Mary! If you think of anything else, please ask away. I'm passionate about DITHR, and it is a joy to talk about it.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Wow my3sons! That was awesome. It was great to hear the long term benefits. We have just barely gotten our feet wet in it so it was great to hear from someone who is using it and really sees the long term in it. It was great to see that it is very valuable for the long haul. I just ordered some books to start using it more too so great timing! :lol: The more and more I look at it think about it the more and more I can see the value in using it more regularly! The great thing is it gives me a chance to really give my kids a big boost in an area that I am very weak. Anyway loved your review of it!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks water2wine! The feeling is reciprocated - I always love reading anything you write. You are an inspiration to me! I cannot believe what you get done in a day - you are an incredible encouragement, especially to homeschool moms with larger families. It CAN be done, and done well. You are living proof of that!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:19 pm

WOW! This was AMAZING information.

What would you order for a child who does not enjoy reading. I have an older son who has the ability to read at his highschool level, but he HATES reading. He doesn't mind reading the newspaper. Right now I am teaching a "Left Behind for Kids" book club at our co-op and was telling my girlfriend that I was shocked to find him in his room devouring the book.

Should I choose an EASIER level for him, while he works on adding daily reading to his life? The Left Behind series is for 4-6th grade.

Thanks for your feedback.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Good question, Mary! I'm hoping Carrie will give her viewpoint on this too, but I'm thinking you should start him in Level 4/5. I think I'd start him with a Left Behind... book. You know he loves it, so he'd probably be glad to do the sequel for homeschool. I'd let his interests determine the order of the genres you do. I'm not sure what genre the Left Behind for kids series would be. Do you think "adventure" or maybe "realistic fiction" since a big portion of it's based upon the Bible's end times but it still has fictional characters? I'm curious what others would categorize this as.

Anyway, after that genre is over. Maybe you could do nonfiction next and have him read the newspaper for part of it. That is nonfiction (mainly, ':wink:' (depending on the reporter and the newspaper I guess!). If you're using DITHR with your other kids, they can just do the same genre, but different reading material.

Also, I would definitely do the kickoffs and wrap-up activities every genre, with his interests in mind as you choose from the ideas list and the options. Last, it would be a good idea to choose books a bit BELOW his reading level, so he can just focus on the enjoyment of reading rather than on struggling to understand it. We do this.

Those are just a few thoughts I had now, but I'll keep thinking about this.

Ladies, how would you categorize the Left Behind for kids series? Curious what you think!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Thank YOU my3sons. I loved your response here and on HSR's too! :wink: You handled that well. :!:

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:35 pm

MamaMary wrote:Thank YOU my3sons. I loved your response here and on HSR's too! :wink: You handled that well. :!:
I second that! 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Mary,

My3sons gave you excellent advice about how to make DITHR work for your older son. Additionally, I would take a look at the Student Book Sample Week for Level 4/5 to see if it looks too young for your older son. Here is the link to the Sample Pages on our website: http://www.heartofdakota.com/sample-pages.php

I would also peruse Level 6/7/8 to see how that looks. If your son isn't writing phobic, level 6/7/8 would be a consideration too. We do have freshman and sophomores using level 6/7/8 as an introduction to literature course. You could still choose easier books on the 4/5 level though to make sure he's enjoying what he's reading.

Let us know what you think! By the way, I'm thinking the Left Behind for Kids series would either be realistic fiction or adventure too.

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:44 am

yeah...what they said!
We've used it since we've been homeschooling, so for 7 years? Is that possible? Carrie, when did you write it?? :lol: We bought it at a homeschool conference after Carrie and Julie talked us into it :wink: and it was the best purchase (we think) we've ever made! We started out with the first level book and the optional activity book. The book packages weren't put out yet, so we just bought the suggested book list. Since then we've also used the middle level activity book, (the highest level book is on my 2008 conference shopping list! lol!) I don't use the optional book anymore because I find the suggested activities in the guide itself are better, imnsho.
We always do the kick off, and the wrap up, and we usually add our own "other" activities in the middle. (We've gotten into lapbooks and notebooking, and this works perfectly for those) I find that we tend to use books that are slightly (what I consider) below the level of the child. I find that for this curriculum, I am not focusing on the nuts and bolts but fostering a love of reading. grammar, etc comes separate but we incorporate it, if that makes sense. I don't use (nor do I want) a curriculum that makes reading a chore. That was what I was so drawn to in the first place-this is for READING. I am such an avid reader, and this is a formal way for me to pass that love on to my boys.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks, Mary and water2wine! That gets tricky sometimes, doesn't it? I appreciate hearing you thought what I said made sense. This board is a little bit like a relaxing getaway with a bunch of "gal pals" for me... I'm picturing a beach... an icy cold Diet Dr. Pepper... and happy conversation... ahhh... glad to be here!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:37 pm

:lol: Too funny! Cheers ladies...(with diet DP's in hand)!

My dh calls me the diet DP queen...and if I run out, heads will roll 8) !
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02