Read-aloud question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RestInHim

Read-aloud question

Post by RestInHim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Okay, so this question isn't exactly HOD related, but it is about something pretty central to our days: reading out loud to our kids.

This is something we've always done together, usually reading books considered above their level (when they read to me they read books at their levels).

Now, we're doing scheduled read-alouds, and I have a question. Do you ladies usually focus just on the scheduled read-alouds or do you continue to read other books aloud to them when it is not school time? I'm not talking about picture books...those are easy...I mean chapter books. Do you find that reading two separate chapter books at one time is confusing, or distracting?

What about reading on their own? Do your kids read books outside of school?

The reason I ask is that my first grader (while enjoying the Beyond read-alouds) is still begging me for The Secret Garden, The Jungle Book, Black Beauty, etc, etc. And I don't know if we should keep reading more or not.

Thanks in advance! In Him, Sara
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

4Hispraise

Re: Read-aloud question

Post by 4Hispraise » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:46 pm

I am not sure that there is a right answer to this question, so I will just tell you what we do. I read aloud the assigned chapters from the current guide, but at bedtime or at lunch time or any other time during the day when I can sit with the kiddos snuggled in my lap (okay, the 6 foot tall 13 yo no longer sits in my lap :D ), I read to them...whatever they want.

I know for a lot of the moms on the board, this is nearly impossible because they have more kids...but for me, it is easy. My 13 yo still has me read a book aloud to him during the summer in addition to all the books he reads. We pick something non-school related & sit outside while the younger one plays. I read & he draws while the younger rides his bike or some other such thing. My youngest (4) loves to be read to, also. We pick short chapter books & just READ with him snuggled in my lap. I know these days are short. Before I know it, they will both have flown from me & I will wonder why we did not do this more.

So, if you have the time and the desire, I say read! It is such a great way to build time with your kiddos...and it helps them develop a love for reading, as well as great listening skills. With a 13 yo, I can tell you the time they are little goes so quickly. Before you know it, they no longer fit in your lap. :)
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:30 pm

We've done another read aloud at bedtime, as well. They don't ever seem to have a problem keeping stories straight.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:17 pm

We continued to read other books aloud especially at bedtime for quite a while. We haven't done that as much lately, but it's for other reasons not related to school. I think it is wonderful to continue to have fun read aloud books outside of school work.

My dc love to read! I really credit HOD with fostering that love. Even with as much reading as they do for school, they still want and do read many books outside of school. Since my ds broke his leg 15 weeks ago, I have had difficulty keeping enough new books around for him to read. :shock: One of the things that amazes me in my dc reading is that they often have several books going at one time even for pleasure reading. Typically in my own personal reading, I will read one book before starting another. I have found that my dc will have several going at once and read a bit in one, a bit in another, etc. until they finish them. They do sometimes do one book cover to cover quickly but that is more of an exception these days. I think they have gotten used to the more CM way of doing things and like taking things a bit at a time so they can contemplate it more. It's an interesting change I've seen of late. I just mention that to say that I don't think that dc have a problem at all of having multiple books/stories going on at one time. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:40 pm

That is really interesting, Patty! I find I do that too. Right now I only have 3 books goin', plus a newsletter. LOL. Are the books your kids read (in their rotations) of different geners? Sometimes you're in a mood for one kinda book, or at least that is true for me.

As for the original question, I have wondered that also. Right now we add in (lots) of shorter books from the library but not chapter books. My kids looooooove to be read to, but the 3 year old needs shorter stories and some pictures to discuss. I am sure my boy would be able to keep several chapter books straight if we go that route in Beyond. He use to get sooo irritated at me when I stopped reading after one chapter (LHFHG storytime books) now he just comments, "the chapter is over already?! ...okay..." :(

I LOVE reading, I think my children will too. Yaaay.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Well, I am glad to know we're not the only family that really, really loves to read! Good to know :wink:

It's funny how you've mentioned having several books going at once- I do that! :lol: I usually have at least 2 books going at once. And (okay, I know this is strange) I like to read with the TV on :oops: My brain seems to function better if it's doing more than one thing at a time. Wonder why that is? :shock:

Thanks for the feedback! I love coming to this board :D
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Are the books your kids read (in their rotations) of different geners? Sometimes you're in a mood for one kinda book, or at least that is true for me.
Yes, quite often it is a couple of genres. I know my ds has a mystery, a folktale/fantasy, and an action/fantasy going right now. My dd has a couple of different ones going right now too. I think one is fantasy and 2 are realistic fiction. I asked her about this the other day, and she said sometimes she is in the mood for one and sometimes she just wants something different. If one gets in a sad spot and she doesn't like it, she can switch to a book that is in a happy place. I guess that makes sense, but if I'm in a story, I'm usually really into the story and don't want to leave it. I do have several non-fiction books going at once, but those I'm generally reading more for information so that's not the same to me.
It's funny how you've mentioned having several books going at once- I do that! :lol: I usually have at least 2 books going at once. And (okay, I know this is strange) I like to read with the TV on :oops: My brain seems to function better if it's doing more than one thing at a time. Wonder why that is? :shock:
I don't think I could do that. I can look at magazines and browse the computer while watching tv, but not read. I do read sometimes when the tv is on, but I'm definitely not watching at the same time. I wouldn't be able to focus well enough. That is awesome that you can multitask that way! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 pm

We usually have one going that's read in the evening/bedtime and an audio book going in the van. Occasionally, older ds will have one he's reading to younger ds. We also fill our summer with classics and extensions.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm

We also always have an audiobook in the car, where we've been going through the classics, and we have a chapter book at bedtime, which is one of the Chrisitan Heroes Then & Now books.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

pamh

Post by pamh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 am

My husband and I take time to read a classic type of book that is above our children's reading level. It exposes them to more great literature. Also, when my kids are transitioning to a higher reading lever, we read with them; they read a page, we read a page, doing that until the end of the book. That was very helpful when my oldest was in 3rd grade and transitioning into long chapter books. BTW, I love HOD books, don't you?!

Pam

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

We always have 1-3 books going, aside from the books used in HOD! :D

I read carefully selected Hardy Boys to them as a reward, then several picture books at bedtime; I also like to have a really 'good' book going with them.
(as in good for them). Plus we read non-fiction book once or twice a week. As, of yet I have not had any trouble keeping up, nor have my children. Most readings are only 1 chapter or 10 minutes at a time - about 30 minutes of my reading voice, plus school. :)

I also do that with my books - a mystery during the day (never at night), a non-fiction, and some other kind for bedtime. We make reading a priority around here. :D
I know each family has to find what works for them.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)