New Math Recommendation: World Geography Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

New Math Recommendation: World Geography Guide

Post by Carrie » Sat May 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Ladies,

I have been waiting to post about the math for the new World Geography guide for awhile, because we have been really pondering what we wanted to do in this very key area! :D

I am so thankful that we have a strong math path to encourage families to take for the early years, as we dearly love Singapore Primary Math, U.S. Edition. After trying pretty much every other math program out there, it was a true relief for me to find success and joy with the Singapore series through 6A/6B. :D While you can easily use any math you prefer with HOD, we are glad to be able to discuss how to make Singapore math work for you if you do decide to give it try. :D

After the Singapore Primary Math series ends at 6A/6B, we were very excited to use Singapore's Discovering Mathematics Series next. The Discovering Mathematics series was originally numbered 1A/1B, 2A/2B, 3A/3B, and 4A/4B. So after exiting Singapore Primary Math 6B, you would head into Discovering Mathematics 1A (if you desired to stay with a Singapore-based program). :D With our second oldest son, who has only ever used Singapore math, we did Discovering Mathematics 1A/1B. It was well-done, with a good amount of challenge. The 'A' book was a jolt at the beginning (as all of the 'A' books seem to be in the Singapore series, because they do not review previous material but just jump right in with the new things)! :D However, we settled into it and liked it quite well. We did find that the explanations took some leaps that required us to "leap" too, and there were more problems to solve than in the Primary Math series meaning we had to pick and choose more what to do. We would have been fine recommending Discovering Mathematics 1A/1B, but then the Singapore company decided to redesign 1A/1B to become CCSS 7A/7B. :oops:

After waiting quite a bit of time for the redesign to see how much it had changed, it finally came out (only to be pulled back) due to so many errors in the answer key. When it was re-released, we were surprised at how much it had changed in its layout, explanations, number of problems, and overall design. My sister jumped into the new DM 7A/7B anyway with her son (who had only been through Singapore math in the past) and found that in contrast to the 1A/1B it was much less user-friendly. The sheer number of problems and the new two-column format made the pages look more overwhelming and the lessons became very long. The lack of clear explanations frustrated her at times and the answer key remained riddled with errors. Since that time, a sheet of adjustments to the answer key has been added to the Singapore math website, yet by then our feelings about the direction the new Discovering Mathematics series was taking became less than enthusiastic. :wink:

We decided at long length to keep the Discovering Mathematics 7A/7B part of the series for those students who are mathy and who are also too young to head into a formal Algebra I program. For those students who have completed Singapore 6A/6B and fall in the "mathy/yet too young for formal Algebra I" category, the program will be a very good fit (with the schedule from HOD that helps cut back the number of problems each day). :D 7A/7B is mainly pre-algebra, with some Algebra I, some geometry, and even a bit of Algebra II.

As far as the rest of the Discovering Mathematics series goes, since 8A/8B is not out yet (which will replace DM 2A/2B) and the Singapore company is not yet sure what they will do with DM 3A/3B, and 4A/4B; we decided that it was time to take another look at math options for Algebra I. :D

With this in mind, we went back to the drawing board and took a good look at all of the main Algebra I options out there. We ended up, after much comparing of texts, with Foerster's Algebra I as our recommendation for a text-based program. So, now we have 3 different options that we recommend for Algebra I. These include Foerster's Algebra I (for a textbook-based option with clear examples), No-Nonsense Algebra I (for students who have struggled with math in the past or who might find Algebra I very challenging), or VideoText Algebra (for a strong video-based option). The description for each program is found below. :D

Foerster's Algebra I: :D
The Prentice Hall Classics line brings back some bestselling programs with an updated copyright. With Classics you can count on solid traditional instruction, a proven approach and sequence to the content, a return to your favorite program, and more value!
Using a highly motivational approach to concepts, the texts include imaginative applications and clear problems derived from the real world. These classic texts are perfect for honors-level classes or for anyone needing solid step-by-step instruction taken to the next level. :D

We are currently using this program with our second oldest son and are really enjoying the step-by-step explanations and the throughness of the text. It is written directly to the student and provides plenty of practice problems rising in difficulty throughout the assignment. Students who have come up through Heart of Dakota’s recommended math successfully through Singapore 6A/6B should be able to transition into Foerster’s Algebra I well.

For those families who have come up through a different math path, you will want to be sure to have had the equivalent of Pre-Algebra prior to entering Foerster’s Algebra I text. This text is the best “teaching” textbook in written form that we’ve found after looking at all of the currently available options for Algebra I. If you like the textbook approach, and enjoy the benefit of excellent examples worked for your student (and explained) this text is one of the best. :D

If you hit a roadblock with the text, there are also DVD lessons available from Math Without Borders that teach each lesson in the text. We recommend beginning without the DVD’s (and then seeing if you need them later). The text also includes answers to the odd numbered problems in its Appendix. A fully worked solutions manual for all problems is also available for purchase through Heart of Dakota, but only if you have also purchased the Student Text from us as well or have purchased a Heart of Dakota guide to use in teaching your students. This is due to the Publisher’s regulations for proving that Solutions Manuals are purchased for homeschool use by homeschool families. :D

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Expressions and Equations
Chapter 2 Operations with Negative Numbers
Chapter 3 Distributing: Axioms and Other Properties
Chapter 4 Harder Equations
Chapter 5 Some Operations with Polynomials and Radicals
Chapter 6 Quadratic Equations
Chapter 7 Expressions and Equations Containing Two Variables
Chapter 8 Linear Functions, Scattered Data, and Probability
Chapter 9 Properties of Exponents
Chapter 10 More Operations with Polynomials
Chapter 11 Rational Algebraic Expressions
Chapter 12 Radical Algebraic Expressions
Chapter 13 Inequalities
Chapter 14 Functions and Advanced Topics

No-Nonsense Algebra: :D
No-Nonsense Algebra uses short, concise lessons to explain each topic in Algebra I in a way that is easy to understand. Multiple examples with fully explained step-by-step solutions, ample reviews built into each of the lessons, and chapter tests help students measure their progress and improve their test scores. Each lesson in the book has a corresponding online video lesson taught by award-winning math teacher and author Richard W. Fisher.

This math program works well for students who have struggled with math in the past and who are likely to find Algebra a challenge. It does not have nearly the depth of Foerster’s Algebra I, but it does cover needed Algebra I concepts in a plain, no-frills fashion. :D

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Necessary Tools for Algebra
Chapter 2 Solving Equations
Chapter 3 Graphing and Analyzing Linear Equations
Chapter 4 Solving and Graphing Inequalities
Chapter 5 Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 6 Polynomials
Chapter 7 Rational Expressions (Algebraic Fractions)
Chapter 8 Radical Expressions and Geometry
Chapter 9 Quadratic Equations
Chapter 10 Algebra Word Problems

Each Easy-To-Understand Lesson Includes:
Each topic is clearly explained
Helpful Hints
Examples with fully explained, simple step-by-step solutions
Written exercises
Review built into each lesson to ensure mastery
Chapter tests and a final exam allow students to measure progress
Free online access to video instruction (Each lesson in the book has a corresponding video lesson taught by Rick Fisher)
No Fluff!
No Distractions!
Improves Test Scores!

VideoText Algebra: :D
VideoText Algebra is an interactive, video-based program that teaches Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Algebra II in an integrated manner. Due to the integrated manner in which VideoText teaches algebra, once you begin VideoText it is best to complete the course because all modules work together to teach Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Algebra II. Therefore, to claim credit for both Algebra I and Algebra II all modules must be completed. All students must begin VideoText Algebra with Module A, regardless of previous math experience with Algebra. :D

The main components of VideoText are the video lessons and the worktext.
However, unlike textbooks that may use a video supplement, in this case the video lessons “are” the textbook. With each module of the course, you receive the video lessons (each 5-10 minutes in length, either on DVD or online), course notes, worktext, solutions manual, progress tests, and an instructor’s guide with detailed solutions to all quizzes and test problems. Students will love the brief lessons and the clear explanations of concepts in VideoText Algebra. To view samples and purchase VideoText Algebra visit http://www.videotext.com

Our own oldest son used this program mainly on his own very successfully for Algebra I and II. If you desire a video-based Algebra I and Algebra II course, this is an excellent option to consider. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Re: New Math Recommendation: World Geography Guide

Post by deltagal » Sat May 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Carrie,

I really think this is a great decision. I applaud you for your foresight and courage to make this change. I, too, was really excited about the DM 1a/1b materials and the rest of the series, but it was a challenge for us, because I simply needed more support than the series provided. And now Singapore's revamp makes it even more problematic for those who are trying to hone in on a plan for the high school years. The materials you have selected are all excellent and meet needs across the spectrum.

Keep up the good work and tell Mike I think you are due a raise this year! :wink:
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Sat May 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Carrie, your thoroughness and caring completely amaze me! Thank you for all the time you have put into finding these resources and making these decisions. I want you to know that you truly are appreciated and valued so much by all of us who use the materials you write. I continue to pray that God guides you and gives you the strength and endurance you need right now.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Sun May 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Are there any samples online of the Foerster's Algebra text? I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks!

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Wow, that all sounds great. Singapore really should consult you before making changes. ;)
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sun May 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I notice you still have the DM1A/B and 2A/B on the website. Does this mean you still have a limited supply in stock that you are selling? Do you have any idea of how long you will still have those available?

Provided I'm able to purchase copies of DM 1-4, is there any reason you would not recommend using them? (As a former math teacher, I would not mind having to schedule the content myself.)
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Ladies,

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is wonderful to be able to share with you and explain our reasoning behind our choices. :D

As to the questions asked in the thread, there are not any Foerster Algebra I samples online. It is my understanding that the publisher does not allow any to be posted, so you'd have to order the text to see inside it. However, if you do order the text from us, we allow returns for 30 days with no restocking fee, so you could always return it after previewing it if it didn't suit your needs. I think if you like line-by-line systematic instruction and prefer a textbook approach, you'd be pleasantly surprised by Foerster. 8)

My son who has only used Singapore math, has really loved the switch to Foerster for Algebra I (after doing DM 1A/1B), because he says Foerster explains things so clearly that my son always knows what to do. :D I enjoy the fact that I can pick up the Foerster text and figure out what my son is doing for the day very easily, simply by reading through the examples. In this way, I can actually understand and help with any potential problem areas (rather than just reading from an answer key to try to trouble shoot). :D I'd always rather understand the process myself, however in many math programs it is hard to keep up with where your child is headed in upper level math. With Foerster, I can self-teach from the day at hand as needed, because the examples and guidance provided are so clear, rather than having to stay with it day-in and out to understand. :D

As far as ordering DM 1A/1B - 4A/4B goes, the 3A/3B, and 4A/4B are still available from the U.S. based Singapore publisher (and will remain as written indefinitely). DM 1A/1B have now been replaced by CCSS7A/7B (and 1A/1B are no longer available). We have to update our website yet to reflect this change. The DM 2A/2B are also no longer available in our warehouse either, as they are being replaced by 8A/8B sometime in the summer. The release of 8A/8B has been delayed several times, so take this with a grain of salt as to when it will really be available. :D

I was comfortable with the DM 1A/1B and 2A/2B part of the series, and we would have most likely continued on with this path. However, I have not used the 3A/3B and 4A/4B, so I can't recommend them from personal use. I had intended to use DM with my second son all the way through, so this is a switch for us as well. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun May 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Carrie,

Just making sure I am clear on progression...

So is the recommendation to go directly from 6b to Foerster's if the student is ready And to go to dm 7a/7b if you need a bit more time?
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 pm

deltagal,

Great question! :D I'm so sorry to be confusing. Yes, generally students who have excelled in Singapore 6A/6B should be able to go straight into Foerster Algebra I. Students who have struggled in Singapore 6A/6B will need some more formal pre-algebra first, before going into something like Foerster, which they could do through DM 7A/7B if desired (or through another route if Singapore was tough for them). :D

DM 1A/1B and Foerster overlap in many places, so DM 7A/7B would overlap some too. However, the progression of skills and overall depth of content of Foerster is greater than DM 1A/1B (now 7A/7B) so that it still made sense for my son to do Foerster for a thorough treatment of Algebra I. Students would have to complete multiple levels of DM to hit everything in Foerster.

Blessings,
Carrie

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:31 pm

Carrie,
My ds has always used worktexts or workbooks with math. How would he use Foerster?
Would he write all the problems from the book onto paper and then write down the answer.
He is not very excited about doing that. Do you have any other ideas that woould better motivate him?
I was considering No-Nonsense Algebra, however I don't know if it would be enough of an in depth course.
DS likes it because he can understand it and he can also write in the book. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Blessings,
Diane
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you for answering the question about samples. No wonder I couldn't find any!

Do you have recommendations for students who will be beyond Algebra...ready for Geometry in 9th grade?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 20, 2013 10:39 am

dianeh47,

My son had only used workbooks too, through Singapore, and he has also been resistant to writing out the steps to his problems (showing his work) even though I often made him. :wink: It's interesting that when he began Foerster's Algebra I, Foerster has a letter written to the student at the beginning of the text about the importance of showing your work (to be able to see where you went wrong). :D On the very first lesson, students see how Foerster does this very thing, and his step-by-step examples just beg students to model his style. So, my son just automatically did! I didn't even have to tell him to do it (or beg or plead :wink:)!

When my sister switched her son to Foerster, she had a very similar experience. We talked about how amazing it was that the Foerster text could get our boys to understand the importance of showing their work and get them to do it so well! :D It's been a blessed side effect I didn't expect, simply from the way the text is written. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 20, 2013 10:43 am

tollhousemom,

We're still looking for a textbook based Geometry approach that we like, as we'll probably want to go that route with our second oldest son. We'll also most likely recommend VideoText Geometry, but we want to be sure, so we are exploring many geometry options right now. We'll want to do a trial run with our own sons too on any Geometry program we consider recommending, so it will be a year before we'd make any recommendations in that area (most likely not until the World History guide is being written this time next year). :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 am

deltagal wrote:Carrie,

Just making sure I am clear on progression...

So is the recommendation to go directly from 6b to Foerster's if the student is ready And to go to dm 7a/7b if you need a bit more time?
I actually meant to say DM 1A and 1B - not 7a/7B.....I was posting too late to think straight.

But regardless I think I'm clear which is that most students who have completed 6A/6B that are "on track" should roll right into Foerster's algebra - which is pre-algebra/algebra 1. Correct?
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Carrie,
Thank you for answering my question and telling me about your son. In PS they do Algebra 1,
Geometry, and then Algebra II with some reviewing of Algebra I. I wanted to do Algebra I, Algebra II
and then Geometry because he wouldn't forget Algebra I if he had both algebras together. Then I was
thinking maybe he needs to know Geometry for Algebra II. Is that correct?

Blessings,
Diane
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History