LHFHG storytime question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
runnermama

LHFHG storytime question

Post by runnermama » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi, my name is Kathy and I'll be starting my dd5 in LHFHG in August. We did LHTH 2 years ago and loved it and can't wait to get back to HOD! I've been reading here that some kids have a hard time with the Thornton Burgess books and I'm wondering if they might be a problem for my daughter also. She loves to be read to and can sit through long stories, but the books all have pictures for her to look at while I read. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any books of comparable length/amount of pictures as the Burgess books that we can start to read this summer to help ease her into "big girl books" instead of picture books. She is my oldest so I don't know any good, early chapter books. I especially don't want to read her anything that might be included in a later guide! Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice anyone has for this homeschool rookie :)

hs.mama07

Re: LHFHG storytime question

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Kathy and welcome back to HOD :-). I'm doing LHFHG with my DS5 and we're loving it. He too loved to listen to stories and could sit through long ones, but had never really done non-picture books. Well, the Burgess books really are a perfect transition and a wonderful start to learning how to listen and comprehend without pictures to help. I don't think you need to worry about easing her into them. One of the big reasons for doing story time is to teach listening comprehension and its expected that the child won't be very good at it to start. My DS had some trouble with understanding/remembering at the beginning and needed my help, but he didn't even seem to realize how much I had to help him. He still loved the stories and couldn't wait until the next chapter. I'm amazed at how much he has improved even in the last two months.

But if you would still like to get her used to listening to stories without pictures you could always just check out story books and read them to her once without her looking, and then let her see the pictures after. Doesn't have to be chapter books. And you could also just make up simple stories for her to listen to...like her taking a pretend trip to the zoo or to the moon or meeting a fairy, etc. :-)

Hope that helps...have fun with LHFHG when you get there!

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi Kathy,

I don't think your daughter will have trouble enjoying them, either. We love them here. My daughter who doesn't have the longest attention span even enjoys them. What I would suggest (and what I did, because I had the same concerns as you!) is to read through the Beatrix Potter books from now until August when you start. They are along the same line, but have more pictures. That was a really good transition for my daughter form picture books to listening longer.

HTH!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Kathy, and welcome back to HOD! :D I think Rootzfam was right on the dot with her thoughts here...
Rootzfam wrote:... Well, the Burgess books really are a perfect transition and a wonderful start to learning how to listen and comprehend without pictures to help. I don't think you need to worry about easing her into them. One of the big reasons for doing story time is to teach listening comprehension and its expected that the child won't be very good at it to start. My DS had some trouble with understanding/remembering at the beginning and needed my help, but he didn't even seem to realize how much I had to help him. He still loved the stories and couldn't wait until the next chapter. I'm amazed at how much he has improved even in the last two months...
The Thorton Burgess books are meant to provide the transition themselves, which we have seen with each of our 3 sons who did LHFHG through the years. I went into teaching LHFHG the second and the third times with our second and then our third ds expecting them to take some time to be able to listen to books with fewer pictures. The Thorton Burgess' books are ideal for this transition for several reasons. The chapters are short and lively. The little family of forest animals remains the same throughout all the chapter books which helps dc begin to predict what will happen better (i.e. when Reddy Fox comes on the scene, the kiddos know he's up to something sly; when Grandfather comes on the scene, the kiddos know he'll have some wise advice for all involved, etc.). The storylines fit young dc so well - there is usually a problem to be solved, and all the animals pitch in to solve it. :D

The deeper comprehension comes later for younger dc, so for example, understanding the 4 line riddles will take dc a little longer. Being able to predict what may happen next will take dc a little longer, until they 'know' the animals better. Being able to answer the questions and give simple oral narrations - these are all skills dc need time to grow into. In short, they won't be that great at this at first. That's alright! They have all year to grow into these skills. However, the need for time for growth in these areas need not detract from the joy of hearing the stories read aloud right away. I have found when I read with appropriate expression (sad when it's sad, happy when it's happy, excited when it's exciting, etc.), and when I act excited to read saying things like "I wonder if Buster Bear will ever get that bucket off his head!" to set the mood, my dc mimic my excitement. :D

So, as the Thorton Burgess books themselves are meant to be the transition for dc, I don't think you need to do anything to prepare for them, but rather go into reading them knowing they are used to teach new skills that will take some time. However, as rootfam shared, starting a reading time with your little one, maybe before bed, with short stories before bed may be a good way to begin growing these skills a little early. :D My ds enjoyed the "Little Critter" books as read alouds at that age. He also liked the "Little House on the Prairie" picture books. The "Little Golden Book Treasury" was fun too. HTH! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

runnermama

Post by runnermama » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Thank you so much for both of your responses. They definitely help to ease my mind :) I hadn't even thought that making up stories to tell to my dd would be helpful in building her listening abilities. We do this a lot and now that I know it actually has a purpose, I guess I will keep it up! The Beatrix Potter books are also a great idea. We tried them a while ago but my dd didn't like that Mr. Mcgregor (sp?) was mean to the "poor little bunny" :lol: We will try them again and see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. It's nice to "talk" to those who have gone before me!

thehergatts

Post by thehergatts » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm

The chapters are short. They are usually only 3-4 pages long. I think they are a great transition from storybooks to storytime without pictures.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy them!
Kristy
- wife to Dan
- mom to Sammy age 9 & Ian age 7

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - Christopher Robin

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am

We enjoyed Old Mother West Wind illustrated by Michael Hague just prior to starting LHFHG. My children were excited to revisit the Thorton Burgess characters in the guide after that even though there were fewer pictures.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:57 pm

We have loved the Burgess books so much that I've bought nearly all of the titles (including many, many that aren't scheduled in HOD). We go through what's scheduled in HOD at about double speed (or faster) and then move on to some of the other titles (and I just make up comparable activities to what Carrie has scheduled in LHFHG). I have always had children on the older range of the guides, so that may have been a contributing factor to our enjoyment. I'm not really sure. This year is my third year going through the titles.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

runnermama

Post by runnermama » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and stories about how your kids have loved these books. I think that since I'm new to this homeschooling thing, that I'm trying too hard to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I think I just need to follow the guide and not overthink things! :oops: I really appreciate the advice you gave, Julie. I will remember not to expect perfect understanding/narration in the beginning and just let her enjoy the stories and grow into them. Can't wait to start in August!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 am

My kids do not love the books... in fact, so far, none of them have even liked them in the slightest :shock: but they are perfect books for that age group to teach them how to comprehend the read alouds.

I'd just say if you want to practice before hand get any book with no pictures and read for about five minutes. That's about all it takes to read the chapter in the Burgess books.