Questions about using Rod & Staff (specifically R&S 3)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Questions about using Rod & Staff (specifically R&S 3)

Post by krazzymommy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

We used R&S 2 this year and I feel a little "meh" about it. We also used another grammar program that my son did really well with. (A lot of reciting definitions of parts of speech.) This is my last hang up for next year - should we continue with R&S or continue with the other grammar? One thing that may help me decide - is there any assignments scheduled in Preparing and/or R&S 3 that are "writing" assignments? I know that our other grammar program does not cover writing, and if it is something that is written into the HOD lesson plans and in the R&S book, that would make my choice for me. ;)

Thanks!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

LovingJesus

Re: Questions about using Rod & Staff (specifically R&S 3)

Post by LovingJesus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Preparing has written narrations in it.

R&S level 3 covers:
Writing short paragraphs
Writing sentences about a picture
Writing original sentences
Writing a sentence that includes an adverb, for example.
Diagramming
Grammar/parts of speech

I really have loved teaching R&S level 3, and it is better than level 2. The English coverage is thorough.

I hope this helps in your decision. :D

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Thank you, that is very helpful. :)
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Just wanted to add Preparing does have written narrations once a week based on the history reading for that day. These are usually 3-5 sentences and in the beginning a starter sentence is given, then progresses to writing totally on their own. Questions are included in the guide to ask students after the reading but before the narration. Also, creative writing is scheduled once a week based on the poetry for that week by Robert Louis Stevenson. Again, helps are given for this as well. A separate writing program isn't scheduled until Creation to Christ, which uses Write with the Best, Vol. 1.

As stated above, R & S does a very thorough job of introducing skills needed for writing (parts of speech, sentence formation, writing clear and complete sentences, etc).

Hope that helps!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

This year I've used First Language Lessons 3 with my son instead of Rod & Staff. I regret my decision. It takes TOO MUCH TIME for me. We like the poetry he has memorized from it. I like the memorization of the preposition list. Maybe I'll incorporate a little more memorization in the future, but I don't intend to use FLL 4. Nor do I plan to use FLL 3 or 4 with my upcoming children.

When will I learn that there really is no need to add/change things from what Carrie has laid out? I could have saved myself some angst this year by sticking with her Rod & Staff plan...
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 pm

StillJulie wrote:This year I've used First Language Lessons 3 with my son instead of Rod & Staff. I regret my decision. It takes TOO MUCH TIME for me. We like the poetry he has memorized from it. I like the memorization of the preposition list. Maybe I'll incorporate a little more memorization in the future, but I don't intend to use FLL 4. Nor do I plan to use FLL 3 or 4 with my upcoming children.

When will I learn that there really is no need to add/change things from what Carrie has laid out? I could have saved myself some angst this year by sticking with her Rod & Staff plan...
Ohhhh....thank you for this. :)

I told my son that I'd make some pretty laminated flashcards up that have the parts of speech definitions that we have memorized in FLL, but besides that, I have been leaning toward R&S since I posted this. I think your answer here, plus what the other ladies are saying confirms that we will just use what Carrie recommends.
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 pm

just wanted to add my experience. My DD11 had previously went through First Language Lessons level 1-4 and I emailed Peace Hill Press to see if they were making a level 5 or what they recommended moving on to. They decided no, not going to make level 5 and recommended moving into R&S English!! And if you compare the two, they used very similar format in sentence diagramming and definitions.
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow