Should we switch from Singapore?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jen_good

Should we switch from Singapore?

Post by jen_good » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 am

Hello.

I'm looking for some advice re: my 10 yr old ds (4th grade) and Singapore. He is now coming to the end of 4A and we have been really struggling this year with retention. I'll spend extra time teaching something (i.e. fractions) and when we review it a month later, he can't remember how to begin. He also has problems thinking "outside the box." If a problem doesn't "look" like something we've done before, he has trouble figuring it out. To add to our struggles, he is very sensitive and is also a perfectionist. If I let him, math could take over an hour most days.

He was in ps through 2nd grade where they used a curriculum called Everyday Mathematics. This curriculum would introduce a topic and if the student didn't quite grasp it, it was "OK because it would be taught again the following year." You can imagine that our move to Singapore was quite a change for my ds. When we started hs in 3rd grade, he placed at the very end of 2A.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should we stick with Singapore and add additional review every day? Or, would another curriculum be better for him?

Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Jennifer

amysconfections

Re: Should we switch from Singapore?

Post by amysconfections » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

While I'm not sure what you should do I just want to share our experience. My sons have been doing Singapore from the beginning. Around level 4 I noticed a lot more problems when we came to reviews. Now at level 5 b I have finally learned that reviews are going to be longer math days and he will need me more. I need the HIG many times to figure out the problems. Just today I helped him answer one and then looked in the HIG for the answer and they had done it very differently. There will always be challenging problems in there. Many times it takes what they have learned and requires them to figure out how to work it backwards or some different way. We have just kept going at it. I have noticed way more practice and reviews in the textbooks and workbooks as they increase in age. Or maybe it's that they become more of a problem and I pay attention.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

carrielaurie

Post by carrielaurie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 pm

I am wondering the same thing, so I am so glad you started this post. We are struggling between CLE which is spiral and Singapore which is Mastery based. I have heard both are solid, but just different. We have been going back and forth between the two switching off for the last two years. As a result, which is no surprise, we are in Cle 402 and singapore 3b. (A little behind) My daughter loves singapore, but it seems like she isn't retaining it without constant review. That is why we keep going back to Cle. We need to pick one and stick with it. I just don't know what to do. I'm discouraged. :(

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 pm

I think some of the hard problems just need to be done together. Better to expose them to these tough problems than do something easier. It truly is higher level thinking that is usually not done until algebra. You have to remember that in a school situation they would just miss some of these and never correct them.

Math is an area that is really important to pick and stick with it. You will have bad days no matter what you choose. Sometimes when my son does something else and comes back to it he can suddenly do it without help. There brains really need to be at their best when doing the reviews. So if they are needing to eat, exercise, sleep, etc. if they do those things then come back they can handle and think more clearly.
Amy
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm

I was reading on the Singapore site not too long ago and read about their grading system. They expect a much smaller percentage of correct problems in order to earn an A (or lower passing grade). As in, I think 70% (or perhaps a little lower) was an A. This is due to the very challenging level of Singapore! They don't expect kids to be able to get everything but they do expect some level of mastery...so long as they are getting a good deal correct, even if they aren't able to do the more challenging things, they are still ahead of the game using the singapore methods! Help when they need it and expose them to that level of thinking as you walk and talk your way through each step with them. Modeling is such an important part of the program and the HIG in the upper levels have really helped me figure out how to do that b/c it does get tough!! The white board has been our friend ;)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Singapore is mastery? I always thought it was spiral?? Where have I been!!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

jen_good

Post by jen_good » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 am

Thank you for the responses everyone!

I just want to give a little more detail. My ds doesn't just get a few problems wrong. He can't even get started! For example, we are doing Practice 7A from the 4A textbook right now. With correcting, we will have a total of 3 days spent on this exercise. Before this, we did Review 4 in the workbook. As an example, he had no idea how to even begin any problem related to fractions (#4 and #5). I stopped and spent over a week on fractions alone when we were at that point. By the end of the week, he understood it. Between then and now he forgot it. After some prompting, he gave me the correct answers. Should I have to prompt him at this point?

I know this isn't a heart issue in that he is being stubborn. He feels like he is "stupid" (his word) when it comes to math. I know he can do it, but he doesn't. It's almost like he needs me to sit and hold his hand through every tougher problem. Is that OK at this point? He is trying, but he just can't remember.

I'm sorry that I am rambling. My heart is aching for him. He is a bright, lovable kid. I just want him to be able to see that.

Thank you again,
Jennifer

carrielaurie

Post by carrielaurie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am

Jennifer,
I'll be praying over your situation, and for your sweet little guy. It is so hard to see our kiddos struggle. Praying for wisdom and that the Lord encourages both you and your son. Hang in there :)

In love,
Carrie

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Maybe give it time or try Life of Fred fractions. It may present it in a better way. We have used LOF Fractions for supplementing with and on days I am too busy to help when help is needed. I encourage you to pray and see which direction the Holy Spirit leads you in.
Amy
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref