What does anyone here know about common core?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

What does anyone here know about common core?

Post by Bijou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm

I have been reading up on this whole common core curriculum junk that our gov't sneaked into stimulus package and 45 out of 50 states adopted it. What does anyone know about this and how it will affect homeschooling families? What is the best way to fight it? I for one am a little worried about it. If you feel comfortable commenting I would appreciate it. Thannks!
Jodi
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

Tabitha

Re: What does anyone here know about common core?

Post by Tabitha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm

I am glad you posted this. I have been sitting on my hands for a month or more on bringing up the same subject.

If you haven't seen this site yet, google "The Educational Freedom Coalition." It has some nice info. The gal who put this together, Tina Hollenbeck, has lists of homeschool curricula that are either "Not Aligned," "Coincidentally Aligned," and "Explicitly Aligned" with these common core standards. There is also a dvd called "Exposing a Trojan Horse" (which has several trailers on YouTube) that is about the government funded programs that many homeschoolers are going after.

This greatly concerns me. I wonder how far it will go. Here in Michigan we've seen some changes the past few years with the government-funded programs. The lastest in the last 1-2 years has these programs breeching into homeschooling co-ops. We have counties offering to pay for co-op classes and/or classes at certain community colleges where the children are working on high school credit. You have to register through their virtual academy for the class, even though you're taking it right at your co-op. People are clamouring to have their children enrolled in these academies since they will be "free." One county offers to pay not only for the homeschoolers in their county to take classes BUT homeschoolers in any bordering county! I can see that causing issues down the road when a neighboring county gets to claim a homeschoolers headcount making the county where they live miss out on those government funds.

I run from stuff like this. I do not plan to use any curricula that is anything but 'Not Aligned' with the common core. Since HOD uses a lot of various materials, those companies have their own statements about their alignment. I am going by that to decide what I do and don't use for options. I might have to switch some things up and find other books for a subject, time will tell for us since the high school guides are in the works.

I do look forward to hearing anything Carrie/HOD can share on shed more light on this subject.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Bijou

Post by Bijou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 pm

This whole issue was brought to my attention this past weekend. I have been looking into it ever since. I'd really rather just be able to ignore it and hope that it simply will go away. I know that it won't however so I thought I'd start finding out what other homeschoolers think about it. It has been amazing to me how many people have said that they are glad I brought it up. I honestly think people are too scared to talk about it. It is scary, but we are going to have to band together adn fight this thing, if it comes down to it. I want people to know what they are up against. We can't do anything about it if we don't know about it. Thank you for your response. I hope others will look into it. There are ways to print out a petition for you state and send it to the correct place. To ask that they cut the funding for the common core education program. I also urge everyone to contact their politicians in their home state and tell them we don't want this. I NEVER get involved in political type stuff but like I said, we can't get away from this. It will eventually affect us all. Unfortunately!

Jodi
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I find it awfully "Trendy". It should not apply to homeschoolers who take no government funding for their curriculum.

There is an interesting article on HSLDA about it. titled, "Common Core State Standards Initiative: Too Close to a National Curriculum"

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:09 am

You can write to your state legislative representatives, which I have done. I live in a state that is adapting it, but at the same time having hearings because of the controversy. There has actually been a bill proposed in our state to undo the bill that brought it to us. It is not something to ignore and we cannot say because we homeschool we will not be affected. The SAT will be patterned after common core and this is indeed, a National Curriculum.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

I hadn't heard of it, so I will do a search. Thank you for posting!

Eta: I found this article summed up the issue well. Please delete if it is inappropriate to post links:
http://www.eagleforum.org/publications/ ... -grab.html

It begins with math and english... but we all know that is just to get the gov's foot in the door and let in who knows what kinda "programs" that will be forced on every student in the future. Programs that will be required before entering next grade perhaps? Who knows. Icky.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG