beyond for 9 yo next fall

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

beyond for 9 yo next fall

Post by LivinNandByHim » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 am

Considering return to HS next fall. My now 8 yo will turn 9 in Oct. Her reading level tests in PS at this point still place her in mid first grade level. My thoughts are to do Beyond with R&S 2, cheerful cursive, and probably continue spelling list 2 or dictation. She enjoys math but struggles with reading and spelling. Can print nicely when focused. Loves to color, cut, and do artsy stuff. One concern is in the area of math. This year we ran into problem b/c Singapore is mastery, not spiral (is that correct?) And ps uses spiral approach. I'm thinking I may need to use something more compatible with ps, in case at some point, we have to test, or return to ps. Thoughts, ideas? Thank u.

raceNzanesmom

Re: beyond for 9 yo next fall

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Sounds like Beyond would be a good place for her. HOD recommends SPM, but any math will work. We use a different math because we'd already started it when we found HOD. That math works for my ds, so we've stuck with it.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

LivinNandByHim

Re: beyond for 9 yo next fall

Post by LivinNandByHim » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank u for your response. A little more thought to math. But I think we have a good plan.