4th Grade standards with Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AmyHall

4th Grade standards with Bigger

Post by AmyHall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

I am considering doing Bigger next year with my 4th grade daughter. Can I feel confident that I'll be meeting 4th grade standards for L/A, Science, History in the Bigger program? Is the writing process covered or do I need to select a separate curriculum for teaching writing? Thank you.

lucsch

Re: 4th Grade standards with Bigger

Post by lucsch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am

We started using Bigger in 3rd grade, half speed, and are about finished with it now, in 4th grade. As far as standards, I cannot help you. We don't have state testing or reporting, so I focus on always working on moving her forward through skills.

We used the extension books, and my dd loved them. I did not have her do any narrations, but you could.

I have her do her own history and science readings.

We used R&S 3 for grammar and writing instruction and are finishing out this year with another program so we can follow the R&S 4 schedule in Preparing for 5th grade.

You may need a higher level dictation than that found in the Bigger manual.

You will probably want to do DITHOR for reading.

You will need to use the proper level of math for your 4th grader.

I expect a little more independence now in the Bigger assignments than when we first started in 3rd grade. That is, I no longer step her through some of the science activities. I expect her to read the instructions and do them herself and fill out the experiment sheet or do notebook page. I do help her with the experiment itself.

She can do some written narration now. I would have her do that with the extension books now, if we were not supplementing with Apologia science and its notebooking journal. She gets to do some written narration with that.

HTH
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

AmyHall

Post by AmyHall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 am

Trying to figure out if Bigger or Preparing would meet 4th grade standards better. My daughter could do either. I'm thinking Preparing might be a better match for 4th grade though for L/A, History and Science???

lucsch

Post by lucsch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Yes, I know my 4th grader could have done Preparing; but we had started Bigger in 3rd half speed, so I wanted to finish it. I saw so much growth in 3rd grade! It was hard to believe.
Lucinda
Wife to Gary for 31 years
Mom to ds26, ds21, ds19, and dd11
Grandma 4yo, 1yo, newborn
dd11: CTC
Finished BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing & DITHOR 3x

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm

We ended up skipping most of Bigger guide (not usually recommended, but it's what we needed to do because I placed my dd so incorrectly) but we're in Preparing for 5th grade, which is where you'll be if you do Bigger for 4th. I had my dd tested this year, just out of curiosity, and she tested abover her grade level in everything, except math where she tested at grade level (but we're not using Singapore). I really think Bigger is enough for a 4th grader; in fact I intend to do it with my ds in 4th grade this next year. I'd say if Bigger is where they need to be to learn effectively, then you should go with Bigger. Don't rush on to Preparing just because you're worried about being behind PS kids.

* Just came back to clarify this-I didn't realize you had the thread about combining 2nd/4th in Preparing. I do honestly think Bigger would be fine for a 4th grader, even a standing-alone 4th grader as I was talking about above; but especially considering that you're wanting to combine with a younger sibling, Bigger is where you'll really be most successful overall. I'd really only look at Preparing for your older if you're thinking about separating them. I guess when you combine children you're thinking about what is best for the family overall, and not always what may be ideal for each child in particular, kwim? Although, it's always ideal for a child to have a sane Momma, and that's plenty good reason to combine. :)
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Jayden was in 3rd grade last year and was in Bigger, at her end of the year testing she scored mid 4th grade or higher in everything. So I'd say that Bigger would be fine for a 4th grader as long as you had them placed properly in math. I'd probably say do R&S 3 though. Or either go through R&S 2 quickly.

Here, it's not so much that they meet a certain criteria, but that they make progress each year. So it's not like it matters if a 4th grader scores a 4th grade level.... they just want to see that they progressed past where they tested in 3rd grade.

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Honestly, I would use the placement chart and see where she fits best if you are just starting. We have used HOD since the beginning and my 9 year old 4th grader is finishing Preparing now. It has been perfect for him...however, we did use English 3 (R&S is advanced anyway). We used math at his grade level and I did add writing in - we used WriteShop Jr. Level D and it has been great to go along with the guide (not too much or too little).
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.