Sneak Peeks 2013: World Geography Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Sneak Peeks 2013: World Geography Guide

Post by Carrie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Ladies,

Update: January 25, 2014
I am going to keep this thread of previous sneak peeks as a sticky at the top of the board for now, even though we are currently sharing sneak peeks for our next new guide Hearts for Him Through High School: World History right now. :D I think it will be helpful for new families who are trying to decide where to place their high school student to be able to compare the World Geography and the World History programs. :D

Update: June 3, 2013
I wanted to let those of you who are interested in purchasing the World Geography guide know that it will likely be the end of June before the guide and its packages appear on our website. Our web designer is currently traveling on a mission's support trip and will only be able to add content to our website as time allows. Until then, all of the links in the post below will give you the information you need about our newest guide. :D The packages for the new guide are also listed below with pricing, and we have all of the books for the packages in our warehouse ready to ship now (with the exception of the guide and the Student Notebooks). So, if you would like to order now, you can easily do so just by calling our company at 605-428-4068. We'd be glad to help you! :D Our projected ship date for the guide itself and its corresponding notebooks is the last week in August or the first week in September. We need to have the guide done for our own son to use this coming fall, so we're very motivated to complete the guide in time for our school year (and yours) to get underway. :D

Post from December, 2012: I am so excited that we are to the time of year when we begin sharing "sneak peeks" from our upcoming new guide! :D It is thrilling for us to be officially entering the high school years with the geography guide's target age range. :D It is our prayer that we will be able to write the guides in such a way that students who go through all 4 high school HOD guides will have everything needed for graduation and college entrance (with the exception of PE). :D For those of you who are on the very youngest age range of the geography guide, and may be using it with an 8th grader, it is good to know that the geography guide will be high school credit worthy in all areas, so you can begin counting high school credit with this guide and use it as your child's "freshman" year if desired. Then, if you continued with the 4 high school HOD guides, your child could either graduate a year early or could use the final year of high school to pursue an internship or an area of interest, focus on CLEP testing, do missions work, travel, or begin college early. :D

Having my oldest son going through high school without the HOD guides written, has made me all the more aware of how very much I will appreciate having the HOD high school guides for my own kiddos coming up. :D We'll have two highschoolers in our mix next year at our house, along with our two younger sons too. Our oldest son will be a senior next year and our second son will be a freshman next year. :D It's hard to believe, yet exciting to share this high school journey with all of you.! :D

Sneak Peek #1: Science viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12932
Sneak Peek #2: Bible viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13001
Sneak Peek #3: Girl/Boy Devotional Study viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13027
Sneak Peek #4: Composition/Grammar viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13061
Sneak Peek #5: Logic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13103
Sneak Peek #6: Literature viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13147
Sneak Peek #7: Real Books for Literature viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13188
Sneak Peek #8: World Religions and Cultures viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13235
Sneak Peek #9: World Geography viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13295
Sneak Peek #10: Book of Centuries viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13397
Sneak Peek #11: Foreign Language viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13452
Sneak Peek #12: Living Library viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13560
Math Recommendations: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13789
Package Pricing for 2013: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13589&p=97156#p97156
Placement Chart for World Geography: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13706

Brie

Re: Sneak Peeks: New World Geography Guide

Post by Brie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Carrie,

I was wondering if you have a price for the Geography high school curriculum yet? It looks wonderful!!! Thank you for all the work and love you've sewn into this curriculum. Our family has enjoyed it immensely!!! :D

Blessings to you & yours,
Brie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Brie,

Not yet! We're still working to pick the literature and the final geography resources. So, we're getting closer, but it is quite a process! :wink:

Once the packages are done and ready for the website, we'll share a sneak preview with our email newsletter group first (prior to it going "live" on our website). You can sign up for that preview here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/email.php
However, none of that will take place yet for several months as it takes time to get all the content web-ready. :D

So, for now this sneak peek sticky is the place to look for the most recent choices and selections! :D We're adding to it about once a week right now. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Brie

Post by Brie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Carrie,

Thank you for the information. We'll enjoy watching as the information unfolds! :)

Blessings to you & yours,
Brie and family

gbrlex

Post by gbrlex » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am

Will the high school guides be scheduled for four or five days per week?

Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 pm

I love all 8 of the sneak peaks! i wish I was still in school so I could order these now for myself as my children are still afew years off from 9th grade. I am wondering what is left to add to this guide?

Toni

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 am

gbrlex,

Good question! :D The guides will be written for 4 days each week. While this will make for longer school days on those 4 days, it will also allow students to have a free day each week (and a 3 day weekend every week) to pursue their own interests. Students can earn extra credit on this day if desired, work on personal hobbies, sign up for service opportunities, pursue a passion, or just use the extra day to complete any unfinished work from the previous days. Often these types of opportunities are difficult to squeeze into an already full high school schedule, so it is very exciting for us to be able to structure the high school guide in this manner to allow for flexibility in the weekly schedule! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 am

Toni,

I am so glad that you are excited about the sneak peeks! We are too! :D It is our plan that families generally shouldn't have to add to our guides (except in instances where a specific state or college that a student chooses to attend may have differing requirements). Any additional needed coursework that may crop up can hopefully be completed on the child's free day each week (along with the child's free evenings and weekends). :D

Our plan is to include a geography or history credit each year, a science with lab credit, a math credit, an English credit (with literature/composition/grammar/vocab. covered), a Bible half credit up to a credit each year, time allotted in the guide for a half credit (or a semester) of foreign language each year (resulting in 2 full foreign language credits in 4 years), and 2 electives of a half credit each. :D

Of these additional two electives in each guide, one will match the geography or history each year and one will not. For example, in the upcoming world geography guide, the World Religions and Cultures elective is a half credit course that matches the geography focus. In the geography guide, the Logic elective is a half credit course that does not have anything to do with the geography part of the guide. These are the two elective half-credits for the geography guide. :D

Economics or government credit will also be a part of the upcoming plans in future years. :D

We desire to make the path for homeschooling through high school as clear and planned as possible, while still allowing time for each child to pursue his/her God-given gifts and talents. It is our deepest hope that we can give families confidence that they can answer the Lord's call to homeschool through high school! :D We are looking forward to sharing that journey with each of you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Carrie, I am so excited by all the sneak peeks! It is definitely making me feel more comfortable about homeschooling high school next year. :)

Do you have an estimated release date yet for the new geography guide?

Thank you for all your hard work. You are truly appreciated.

Allison

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Allison TX wrote:Carrie, I am so excited by all the sneak peeks! It is definitely making me feel more comfortable about homeschooling high school next year. :)

Do you have an estimated release date yet for the new geography guide?

Thank you for all your hard work. You are truly appreciated.

Allison
We are so excited, too! And, as I look to our start dates for school next year (taking into account the move from LA to Seattle we are undertaking in less than a month :shock: ), I am wondering about the release date as well. :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Carrie,

We have been deep in a wonderful school year, so I've not posted much (if at all) this year, but I logged on to see the plan with the World Geography Guide. It looks fabulous. You have such a gift for seeing a big picture and pulling together a plan. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm a long way off from this, but it's sill exciting. I was just wondering if math and a foreign language will be included also? It would be nice to never have to scope out any other curriuclum resources. :wink:

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Carrie wrote:Our plan is to include a geography or history credit each year, a science with lab credit, a math credit, an English credit (with literature/composition/grammar/vocab. covered), a Bible half credit up to a credit each year, time allotted in the guide for a half credit (or a semester) of foreign language each year (resulting in 2 full foreign language credits in 4 years), and 2 electives of a half credit each. :D

I went back and found this. Does this mean we find our own?

gbrlex

Post by gbrlex » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 am

Carrie,

Are all the sneak peeks complete?

Gina Beth

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 am

Ladies,

I'll pop-in here and see if I can answer a few questions. :D We aren't quite done posting sneak peeks yet. :wink: We've just been fighting off Influenza B here right now and are working to keep up with everything. I couldn't believe we got it after all of us already had Influenza A right after Christmas. So, we're moving forward slower than we'd like right now. :wink:

I just posted a sneak peek last evening about our Book of Centuries. :D We will also continue to make math recommendations and carry the math resources along with schedules for Discovering Mathematics. We will be posting a sneak peek for foreign language coming up. Our plan is to schedule a .5 credit option for foreign language for each year of the guide, in order to accumulate 2 full credits in foreign language over 4 years of high school. :D

It's hard to be really clear about the anticipated release date for the guide, but we've always released a guide a year for the last 7 consecutive years, so I'm thinking we'll be on a similar schedule for this guide's release too. Typically this means a ship date sometime in the last few weeks of August. Last year, with my dad's diagnosis and surgeries accompanying pancreatic cancer, we were not able to release our guide until early September. This was hopefully the exception, however at the time with all that was going on, we were thrilled that the guide was released by then. :D We actually have to have the guide in order to begin school with our second oldest son (who will be a freshman this coming fall), so we can't begin without it here! :D

Blessings,
Carrie