Bible in LHFHG & Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hollyh

Bible in LHFHG & Beyond

Post by hollyh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 am

I'm about half way thru LHFHG and we just finished up the Bible.... So do we just not study the Bible anymore for the rest of the year? Am I missing something?
What about in Beyond- does it have an actual Bible study at all? We are already done with the ERs, so I'm not counting those.

MomtoJGJE

Re: Bible in LHFHG & Beyond

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 am

Well, you have the Bible Study box that goes throughout the guides. But for studying history though the Bible (in the Reading about History box) the Bible is only used for the time period in which the history happened. So you wouldn't use the Bible to study American History.

But you shouldn't be done with the Bible Study box midway through LHFHG, just the Bible portion of history.

hollyh

Post by hollyh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Oh, I hadn't realized that the History section where you read the Bible was actually the History. So for Bible then am I correct to understand that it is mainly a Bible Verse and the devotional for LHFHG? What about Beyond? Bigger?

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 pm

The Bible Study box gets progressively deeper as the child matures

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 pm

On the 5th day in Beyond your history reading is a passage from the bible. The bible study box has deeper questions than LHFHG and focuses on your verse for the week and the devotional. You also look up verses in Storytime that relate to the godly character trait you are studying.

HTH,
Kathy

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm

We must be in the same unit for LHFHG :D My dd was very sad that we came to the end of her history Bible. We love "101 Favorite Stories of the Bible" and she matured greatly in answering the questions at the end of the story!
We followed Carrie or Julie's great recommendation when we first started of pointing to the pictures while reading, and reading the questions before we started our reading. Toward the last half of the Bible history reading she did great answering the questions without the prompts. :D

Now she is excited that we have a new History book to read from and she even took a picture of "History Stories For Children", to show Daddy :P

We are also doing the Emergent Reader Bible, but that is separate from the history readings and the Bible study in the guide. There are also questions after each reading in this Bible, that she is answering very well.

If you choose to also do the Beginners Bible for the Emergent Reader program, you will need the Beyond Little Heart manual for the questions following Blooms Taxonomy! Carrie did an excellent job of picking out 13 other great books, besides the 2 Bibles, that get progressively higher in reading level and she has questions listed in the Beyond guide for all those! :D
This is my 3rd and last time going through LHFHG and ER :cry: ... I will miss them!

Success and HTH :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm

I hope you are doing "Devotions for the Children's Hour" in LHFHG! If not, you are missing that, and it is one not to be missed! :D Wow, are we having awesome discussions from that right now! :D Also, "Hide 'Em in Your Heart" is the corresponding music, and is still our older sons' favorite to sing along with, and in the meantime, it has helped them "hide" some great verses in their hearts for all times. The Christ-centered focus of HOD's guides is one of the main reasons we use it. :D Each guide has a Bible Study box that includes Scripture memorization, discussion, application, etc. Each guide also has a devotional, and they cover deeper and deeper more mature topics as dc grow in age. Beginning with PHFHG and on up, each guide has both a Bible Study box done with the parent, as well as a Bible Quiet Time box that dc do privately. Teaching our dc to begin their day with their own Bible Quiet Time has been priceless. It is a habit we want to instill lifelong, and HOD has helped us teach this so well already! :D

But it is the way the Lord is woven into ALL of the guide that our family appreciates! For example, in science we pull out our Bibles to look up answers for Biblical application. For history, we turn to Scripture for answers. For Storytime, we make connections to the Bible by going through verses. For reading instruction in DITHOR Levels 2-8, we pull out our Bibles to study Godly people and character traits alongside our book characters. I could honestly write volumes about this. :lol: Right now, in MTMM my oldest ds and I are studying Biblical Worldview together. In CTC, my middle ds and I are doing the Genesis Study together. In LHFHG, we are doing Devotions for the Children's Hour. You can see how the depth grows as dc mature. I believe there is so much Christ-centered focus in HOD's guides that it would be impossible to remove Him from them. HE is virtually in every single facet of the plans. It sounds like this is a passion of yours, so you are going to LOVE HOD through the years! Get ready, there are some amazing talks, activities, themes, books, devotions, hymn studies, purity studies, worldview studies, prayer helps, Godly character studies, and Bible studies ahead of you. I cannot thank HOD enough for the memories and faith building things we have done through the past decade. The fact that each of our dc love the Lord so much, and the fact that I am able to share my faith with them so easily is due first to the Lord, but second to HOD! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

glperky

Post by glperky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

I am so glad you asked this question because some how I have been missing the Devo. book in the Bible Study box. :oops: We will miss the Bible reading in the History box, too.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:50 pm

My kids insist on having a Bible reading at breakfast every morning, so when we finish one in the guide we just pick up another children's bible and start all over from the beginning again. :D
Kristin
Mom to two girly girls (7 and 5) and boy/girl twins born May 2013
Have used LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond
Sharing our joy at http://www.broomandcrown.com