Sneak Peek #1: New World Geography Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HisWay

Re: Sneak Peek #1: New World Geography Guide

Post by HisWay » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:23 pm

I like the choice of science for this guide. Our local high school offers the same path for high school science. In 9th they have intro to physics/chemistry, 10th Biology, 11th either chemistry or physics, and 12th their choice if they want another science. A fourth science is not required in MI. The physics/chemistry combo gives the students an idea of which course they would prefer in 11th grade and also gives them a starting point for the more difficult courses. Looks very good Carrie!!
Blessings,
Patti
Patti
Married to my wonderful hubby 27 yrs.
DS 19 Graduated 2014
DD 14 Deciding on a guide

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 am

This looks wonderful! I can't wait to see more sneak peeks from this guide!!!

We anticipate using HOD in fall 2014 (Geography Guide) when my daughters will be in 8th and 9th grades. They have used some of the HOD middle school science resources (most of the RtR science books, Evolution:the Grand Experiment, etc.) but not followed the full HOD progression.

Next year I am undecided about science for them when they will be in 7th and 8th grades. Which would best prepare them for this IPC course?
-Apologia's General Science
-Exploration Education Physical Science (from the Rev to Rev guide)
-Intro to Chem (from the Missions to Marvels guide)
-Something else?

Thanks!
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

MomsMissionField

Post by MomsMissionField » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Love the sneak peaks.....do you have a date when it will be completed? Hoping I can see the entire thing, seriously considering this for my son for the next school year. My dd's are using Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and we are all loving it. I know HOD would also be a perfect fit for my son. He actually requested it! When is your projected date for release? Thank you!
Robin
Robin
Married to God's Mighty Man in 1984
Blessed with Miracle son in 1998
Blessed with our Precious Promise in 2002
Blessed with our Special Joy in 2005
God turned my barrenness to a jungle of joy!

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm

We are using the Exploration Education Science (Advanced) this year for my 8th grade son as part of the Rev to Rev guide and it actually is going to count for his Physical Science with Lab requirement for highschool. He is allowed, through our cover school, to take high school courses for credit in 9th grade and count it towards his total credits next year in the first semester of high school!

ETA: The Exploration Education website actually states that their Advanced kit is high school credit worthy as Physical Science with a Lab. Just wanted you to know I didn't just pull that out of thin air! haha
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I've got a question about alternative science options for this guide.

If you choose to use the physical science in Rev to Rev for high school credit, the science in the World Geo. guide wouldn't be needed, right? That is unless you wanted 2 physical science credits for high school.

Is there an alternate science recommend for this guide if that is your case? Or would it be that you opt not to do this guide and select the one coming next. Read eta below with our state's requirements for social stuides...given that I think doing this guide no matter what science options are is a must.

I might have totally missed something as I've tried to wrap my brain around making the sciences in both Rev to Rev and MtMM high school credit worthy, and figuring out what comes next. I might not make both of these guides have credit worthy science, but if I do I wanted to know what would be in the plans for the next science in line.

We're in the decision process of chosing what we'll use next, and info on this guide's science would prolly affect those decisions.

Thanks! I hope I haven't confused anything. :)

eta: our state governments last update for graduation requirements was in 2006. On that sheet, science requirements are:
1 Biology
1 Physics or Chemistry
1 additional science (several sciences listed; physical science would go here)

And the social studies requirements are:
Our history needs are
.5 civics
.5 economics
1 US History and Geography
1 US History and Geography
We do have to have Geography with both of these histories according to the state gov site. However, my city's public school site lists it this way: 3 Credits – Social Studies, including .5 credit in US civics/US government, .5 credit in US economics; 1.0 credit US history, 1.0 credit world history/geography.

Once I have my options laid out better, I'll certainly need to call before finalizing my upcoming order.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Tabitha,

I'm going to link another thread that is running on the board right now that will more fully answer your questions. Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12998

You are right that typically you would do either physical science or integrated physics and chemistry, but not both for high school science credit. If you did do both, one would likely be an elective. :D It also would be possible to just borrow the science from the next HOD guide ahead of the guide you are doing each year to make the science fit your child's needed sequence. The HOD guide that comes after world geography will include biology for the science. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Carrie,
I spent some time this afternoon reading as much of Tiner's IPC text as I could find. I. love. it! What a fantastic text.

However, the IPC lab makes me a llittle nervous. Although my 14 yo is currently in pre-algebra and will be beginning Algebra 1 when he begins his Freshman science it is not his strong suit.

I'm wondering would it be possible to use the Exporation Education Advanced lab with the Tiner text for the IPC science credit or ....?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Florence,

If he is beginning Algebra I doing it concurrently with the MicroPhySci Kit, he will be fine. :D The answers are provided for the labs (in the accompanying answer key) and worked through, and the formulas are written out (which really helps).

The Advanced Physical Science for EE is a whole course in itself, so you couldn't pull just the lab portion out and add it to the IPC course. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get to the World Geography guide how well the science in the previous HOD guides of Rev2Rev and MTMM will prepare your child for the IPC science/labs in World Geography. :D One guide does truly prepare a child well for the next guide in line. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

alongsideali

Post by alongsideali » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:35 pm

I know this is a much later year than all the other posts on this thread, but I have a question regarding one subject area in the World Geography guide. My daughter will be starting 9th grade, but will be using a beefed up version of MTMM. I would like her to use Essentials in Writing 10 during her freshman year, and I am wondering if there is any way I could get/purchase the HOD plans for JUST that subject, without purchasing the entire teacher's guide?

Secondly, if that is not possible, and I go ahead and purchase the teacher's guide for WG (in addition to MTMM), when I am ready to begin the whole WG curriculum the following year, what do I do about the guide already being bought?

I would appreciate a reply when you can!

Loving HOD every year! :lol:
Alison

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:19 am

I don't know much about WG, but I do know this about HOD: There are no files of single subjects available, but if you buy a guide a year early they will honor the package pricing when you go to purchase the remainder of that package! Just remind them when you place your order that you previously bought the guide from them and you will then pay the package price, less the price of the guide already bought. :D
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Rice wrote:I don't know much about WG, but I do know this about HOD: There are no files of single subjects available, but if you buy a guide a year early they will honor the package pricing when you go to purchase the remainder of that package! Just remind them when you place your order that you previously bought the guide from them and you will then pay the package price, less the price of the guide already bought. :D
Rice is correct in her answer here - thanks, Rice! We don't take apart the guide's plans, but if you purchase a guide earlier from HOD and then later purchase the rest of that guide's economy package, HOD applies the package savings at that time. Just let HOD know, we'll look up your previous purchase, and apply the savings. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

alongsideali

Post by alongsideali » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Thank you so much!! Whew! A weight off my mind!

Blessings,
Alison :D

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Are the quizzes and tests scheduled in Integrated Physics & Chemistry?
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am

Murph wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Are the quizzes and tests scheduled in Integrated Physics & Chemistry?
No. Which is part of the reason they are only awarded 1 credit of science with the completion of that course.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Thank you, Rice, for answering my question. :)

Now I have a question about World Religions & Cultures. I'm confused about these two instructions in the preface of WG (see pic). They seem to say nearly the same thing but have are graded with different weights.
Attachments
20200714_123727_resized.jpg
20200714_123727_resized.jpg (223.73 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling