Our year bombed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
6timeboymom

Our year bombed

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:00 pm

:lol: we had a rather un-schooling (as in, no school, not the true unschooling definition) year this year. My oldest turned 18, and I tried to focus on him as much as possible. So...we are only on like unit 5 in all our HOD guides. Doh! Plus we added a niece to the family (yeah for a girl, finally! LOL! I get to buy ruffled things!!) so I've spent as much time as possible going to Chicago to visit my sister. <3
anyway, I have been lousy at posting, but I try and pop in for a weekly dose of lurking. <3 After we have a graduation open house for my oldest, we are going to resume our "school" (the boys say that HOD doesn't feel like school, so I put it into quotation marks) and work at a leisurely pace.
:) That's one of the million reasons I love HOD: you can pick up where you left off without starting over!
So I'm here to say hello! Hello to old friends (as in long time, not age wise. nono!! :wink: ) and hello to the folks I don't know yet!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

8arrows

Re: Our year bombed

Post by 8arrows » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:35 pm

It is good to see you, Darci. I have always enjoyed your posts. I am graduating one this year too. His party is Saturday. I do understand. I often thought the school year had to revolve around him this year. I would just pick up where you are at and enjoy!! I will be doing REV2REV and Beyond next year. I have another senior who has not used HOD, so he will continue with an eclectic selection, and then there is the three year old (We will wait on LHTH another year). Will you be using either of the programs I am next year?
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:24 pm

6timeboymom wrote::lol: we had a rather un-schooling (as in, no school, not the true unschooling definition) year this year. My oldest turned 18, and I tried to focus on him as much as possible. So...we are only on like unit 5 in all our HOD guides. Doh! Plus we added a niece to the family (yeah for a girl, finally! LOL! I get to buy ruffled things!!) so I've spent as much time as possible going to Chicago to visit my sister. <3
anyway, I have been lousy at posting, but I try and pop in for a weekly dose of lurking. <3 After we have a graduation open house for my oldest, we are going to resume our "school" (the boys say that HOD doesn't feel like school, so I put it into quotation marks) and work at a leisurely pace.
:) That's one of the million reasons I love HOD: you can pick up where you left off without starting over!
So I'm here to say hello! Hello to old friends (as in long time, not age wise. nono!! :wink: ) and hello to the folks I don't know yet!
I had a year like that and wasn't graduating anyone! :D We were NOSchoolers. Hehe It all worked out and it was even a first year to take required testing which also went wonderfully even without school being done! HOD makes learners out of our kids...the kind of learner that really learns and doesn't need a textbook and teacher to do so.

Enjoy getting started back up, congrats on the graduation and the new addition in pink!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes! I'm using little hearts for the 6 year old, beyond for the 8 year old, preparing for the 11 year old and I'm thinking of skipping the 13 yr old ahead to Resurrection to reformation. He's been doing (or not doing :lol:) Preparing with the 11 year old. I was using r to r with the 16 year old, but this next year he wants to do a year study of greek mythology, so we are going in that direction. :)
thanks for the commiseration! I often felt that I had so much to teach the 18 year old about life yet and only this last year to do it! Of course that's not entirely true, but it was the way my school year went! He will still live at home when he goes to college; he will go to the local community college. He always wanted to be a firefighter, but now he's not sure. I told him to explore his options, and figure out who God made him to be, and go from there!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: