Week in Review March 26-30

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week in Review March 26-30

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week in Review March 26-30

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Revival to Revolution:
Amidst book fairs and editing, it is so nice to be able to count on RevtoRev being so well planned. It is a constant in our day to day, and my ds enjoys it so much. My wonderful Dad filled in and taught a few days for me when I was at some book fairs, and he really enjoyed it. I was so thankful that I didn't have to prepare and plan for the days I was gone. Thanks HOD! :D

We are nearing the end of RevtoRev, and I am so thankful for the responsibility Wyatt has been able to take on and enjoy this year. He really loves being more in the driver's seat for some of his school work, and he likes to have more say in managing his day. Wyatt is an early morning riser, so he enjoys getting up and doing his science and Bible quiet time from RevtoRev before I even get up. My dh is also up at this time, so it has become a special time for the two of them as well. :D Wyatt also chooses the order to do things, which he adores. :D He hands in his work on our kitchen counter, open to the pages I am to correct. We then have a meeting time during which we go through his work, do the follow-ups together, and I teach my teacher-directed things. It works out so nicely! We both look forward to it, and he grabs his hot tea and lemon juice, and I grab my coffee. We really enjoy the ebb and flow of our homeschooling day with one another. Often times I am surprised by how much he has finished by the time we meet. He has learned to manage his time and his overall day well - PTL - which will only serve to help him as he grows into a young man! :D

I have a collection of pictures from the last few weeks that I took that are from various units, as I missed the end of several weeks when I was at book fairs. So, I guess this is a "several weeks" review. :D I really liked the way Wyatt's history project turned out - it is just so vibrant! Here you can see his project, and how the HOD Student Book helped him visualize his painting creation...
Image Image Image

Here is another picture of a different history project he did. It is a fan he painted and made, with cherry blossoms. I felt the urge to take over the project and insist upon tiny cherry blossoms made 'just so' (a.k.a the way I would have done it), but I held my tongue and let him do it the way he was picturing it. I am glad I have learned not to step in and take over his projects, as art is meant to be a creative outlet for the artist to express individuality. Of course I have figured this out because I did sometimes used to step in and take over. :oops: Anyway, he really enjoyed this project too...

In DITHOR, we have been thoroughly enjoying ourselves. We had some laughs this week! Wyatt had to portray his main character for our discussions, and his main character was a horse. He smiled from ear to ear and said, "Emmett, I NEED you!" (and of course Emmett loves to be needed :wink: ). He surprised me by having Emmett ride in on him like he was a horse, and they all loved hamming it up for the discussion. :D Riley's portrayal of his main character was also funny, as Miss Agnes was his main character. Miss Agnes dressed in a plaid jacket on the cover of the book though, so Riley didn't have to get to "girlied" up. :lol: He did have fun pretending to be Miss Agnes! I think he would be quite an animated teacher! :)
Image Image

One of my favorite parts of DITHOR this last week was the point of view/perspective lesson. Each of the boys took a turn at being the reporter asking questions about the other who was to be an expert on that particular character. They really got into it and sounded like pretty authentic reporters with their microphone. Emmett and I just watched, and laughed, and clapped a lot. :D
Image Image

What a good week of school - hope you had one too!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Preparing Hearts for His Glory:
Wow, are we having fun with PHFHG! :D The science especially has been such fun, and it has been neat to see Riley grow into the skills of notebooking, completing experiments more independently, and answering comprehension questions. :D I took about a kazillion pictures the past 2 weeks of Riley. I think I was so excited by the progress he has made! Here is Riley's coral polyp creation - you'll have to imagine the waves and the adding to of the polyps as they grew (that was such fun little brother had to watch too)...
Image Image Image Image

Here are a few of Riley's science notebooking pages. I have been stressing how to balance his work on his paper, choose bright colors, and make a neat page overall...
Image Image Image

Likewise, here are a few of Riley's timeline cards. I have trying to encourage him to draw what he is picturing in his mind from what he read in his history, and also on drawing/coloring neatly...
Image Image

The medieval feast we did with the trenchers was a blast! The whole family got in on it, and we had such a good time. We washed our hands in the bowl of water, ate food off our trenchers, and used only knives for our utensils...
Image Image Image Image Image

Riley provided ample entertainment (as was common) halfway through the meal. He read poetry (his own he's written from PHFHG's writing lessons), played the recorder, and played the "piano" in his book...
Image Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Little Hearts for His Glory:
One of the most special things I loved about this past few weeks is the time my dc spent with my Dad. They all love him so much, and Emmett couldn't wait to read to him. My Dad filled in for me when I was gone at a few book fairs for a few days, and the kids loved having him be their teacher. Here's a picture I snapped before walking out the door to hop on a plane to NC - Emmett was snuggled up next to my Dad on the couch to read to him...

One of our favorite activities this week was the sink and float activity, after we read about Jonah and the whale. Emmett found many interesting things to test if they would float or sink in water. He was most surprised that the plastic ziplock bag not only floated, but it could support his construction vehicle on top of it and still float, but the construction vehicle on its own just sank...
Image Image

Emmett tested and retested his objects in the sink for about an hour. :D He really loves activities with water! This happens often with LHFHG - Emmett keeps enjoying an activity we have done long after we "finished" it. I really enjoy this as he is having such a good time while I am able to teach my other sons things more tailored to their needs. :D

Scissor skills are eeking along for my little Emmett. I just realized I need to keep telling him to rotate the paper more as makes corners in cutting. That one little tip improved his cutting precision so much! Here he cut out little pictures and had to identify if the objects would best be used to build a birdhouse or to clean a house...

We are at the point in history when Jesus rises from the dead, is then seen by various people, and finally ascends to heaven. Emmett enjoyed making his chalk/sugar painting of heaven, and I again did my best not to take it over! :D

My littlest one is growing leaps and bounds right now. It is such a joy to do LHFHG with him and see his smiles each day as he gets me "all to himself" for awhile! Hope you had a good week too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Julie what a blessing that your Dad is able to help out with school and things go on as usual! I just have to comment on Riley his notebooking pages!!!!WOW :shock: They are amazing!!! :D :D His creativity has truly been able to come out even more this year.

Emmett has also matured and seems to be making progress by leaps and bounds with him being able to continue on with his activities like that :D

I love how Wyatt included his little brother in his creative way of showing the main character in his book...His picture turned out so vibrant and looks very professional.

And for you it's a blessing to read how the Lord has shown you to let the kids do the school work without you taking over and making it yours. I know how that feels :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

KristinNitz

Post by KristinNitz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Well, since I was sick still this week it was a slower week, but as always, HOD made it an easy and fun week of school. Here is my update for the 23rd week of Bigger.

http://nutbugs.com/heart-of-dakota-bigger-week-23/
Kristin (Mother of ds and dd using BIGGER)

It is not your reaction when people are looking that matters, but what your reactions are when no one is watching that shows your true heart!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:59 am

moedertje wrote:Julie what a blessing that your Dad is able to help out with school and things go on as usual! I just have to comment on Riley his notebooking pages!!!!WOW :shock: They are amazing!!! :D :D His creativity has truly been able to come out even more this year.

Emmett has also matured and seems to be making progress by leaps and bounds with him being able to continue on with his activities like that :D

I love how Wyatt included his little brother in his creative way of showing the main character in his book...His picture turned out so vibrant and looks very professional.

And for you it's a blessing to read how the Lord has shown you to let the kids do the school work without you taking over and making it yours. I know how that feels :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are such an encouragement to me, Sandra! I really needed this today. Thank you so much, and I am equally amazed at your dc's love for one another, growth in so many areas, and lovely creativity!

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:58 am

We are on week 18 of Beyond.Nathan has been listening to stories about Robert Fulton.One of the tasts was to make a water wheel.I gave Nathan no help on this-other than he had to make a water wheel because I knew he could build one out of something-he is that way inclined.One morning this week I came downstairs at 7 am to find he had taken apart his old[and broken] bike.There were parts all over the floor.So he loved the stories about quicksilver Bob.H sounded just like Nathan!
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:14 am

Stanley has been working through week 11? of LHFHG.We only are doing half speed over Easter.We finished Peter Cottontail and we started Danny Meadow mouse.I got a nice suprise when I found some post it notes from when I read through this with Nathan still tucked inside the book.He loved weighing things with the balance scale although he found measuring a little trickier-making sure that the 'counters' touched / didn't overlap.He really enjoyed the making sounds with glasses of water.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Julie---I love reading your updates! I giggled at your boys and their antics! I especially love the picture of them in the middle holding their knives during your feast! Wyatt's painting is wonderful! You are just a little bit away from us in LHFHG. We are wrapping up Unit 16.

spidermansmum---Nathan's water wheel is so creative! *I* wouldn't think to do that! lol My DD loved the water glass sounds too!

Here is the link to our week:
http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... eview.html
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

simplejoys

Post by simplejoys » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:19 am

Here is our week in LHTH, unit 5
http://meandmy3treasures.blogspot.com/2 ... ew.html?m=

Can't believe it's been over a month. Time flies when your having fun

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 am

Ladies,

I really enjoyed reading about your weeks! :D Thanks so much for taking time to share a glimpse into your school days with HOD! :D We are a little less than a month away from finishing Rev2Rev with our second son. He is really flying through his work these days and feeling very good about Rev2Rev. We just made the fan with cherry blossoms this week too, so we must be in about the same place as Wyatt. :D

My third little guy just finished Bigger Hearts yesterday! So, yesterday afternoon I got everything out of storage to begin Preparing Hearts with him today. His first day in Preparing went so well. :D My little Greyson was so excited to have a couple of boxes in the plans marked 'I', meaning independent. He felt like such a big boy today and really enjoyed himself. He got up early today in his excitement to start and is already finished with school by 11:30. Bigger has truly helped prepare him well for Preparing Hearts! :D

My third little guy is plugging away in LHFHG at half-speed and having a great time in the process. He is really moving along in the Reading Lesson too. :D LHFHG is just so much fun to teach, even on my third go round. :D

My oldest son is about a month away from finishing his sophomore year of high school. It is hard to believe! :D

We pray that each of you will feel God's hand upon you as you seek to fulfill His call upon your life to homeschool. It is not an easy task, but it is SUCH a rewarding one! :D I'm so glad that we can share the journey together.

Blessings,
Carrie

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi friends! Carrie and Julie, glad you got to weigh in! It is so cool that your dad got to do school with Emmett. What a blessing!

We are just starting Unit 16 of LHFHG, just in time for Easter. Jesus just told His disciples about mansions in heaven, and served them the Lord's Supper. Next week, next week, we'll cover the resurrection, but we have already discussed it and are doing resurrection bread tomorrow as a yummy exposure to the empty tomb.

I digress; we're still going half-speed in LHFHG with Shana and loving it!
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 am

Dustybug wrote:Julie---I love reading your updates! I giggled at your boys and their antics! I especially love the picture of them in the middle holding their knives during your feast! Wyatt's painting is wonderful! You are just a little bit away from us in LHFHG. We are wrapping up Unit 16...
Here is the link to our week:
http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.c ... eview.html
Dustybug- thank you so much! They do make the funniest faces, don't they? And my oldest is definitely my most reserved of the three, but he sure did get into the feast! :D Thanks for sharing your week as well here. I just have to say I'd love to have a room in my house decorated the way your "To the Moon and Back" blog is decked out - those are lovely florals. Gabby is doing so well with LHFHG. Her cleaning her pennies with gusto and wanting to clean them ALL from her piggy bank was adorable. :D Your other 2 little pumpkins look precious as well. I loved reading about how LHFHG is teaching your little ones about Jesus - that always makes my heart filled with joy, as this is why we do what we do. May God continue to bless your homeschooling, Dustybug, and keep up the good work as a hard-working homeschooling mama - your dc's faces say it all; they love you as their teacher! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie