Pics of Getting Ready for RevtoRev

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Pics of Getting Ready for RevtoRev

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Ladies! :D I snapped pics of getting ready for Bigger Hearts last year, and it seemed like a few of you found it helpful, so I thought I'd snap pics of our getting ready for RevtoRev too. :D Before starting any HOD guide, it's a good idea to read through the entire "Introduction", as this helps us get ready for our year and understand the purpose of each box of the plans. While reading the "Introduction", I jot notes in the margins about the materials I want to choose to use. The pictures here reflect some of those choices, so your materials may be slightly different if you make different choices (i.e. you might use tabs and 1 very large 3 ring binder instead of having separate binders, etc.). :D I also look through the Appendix and read any sections I need to there, so that is always time well spent before starting too. Okay, here goes... :D (If you click on the pictures, they will be larger, and they will also be the right direction. :wink: )

Sticky notes in the RevtoRev Teacher's Guide for these sections:
Daily Plans, Oral Narration Tips, Written Narration Tips, Dictation, Math, Poetry

History Notebooking Pages in 1 1/2 inch 3 ring binder, slide cover in front, have clear plastic sleeves on hand to insert pages as dc finish them:

Inventor Notebooking Pages in 1/2 inch 3 ring binder, slide cover in front, have clear plastic sleeves on hand to insert pages as dc finish them:

Print Map Trek CD pages, place in 1 inch 3 ring binder, put in clear plastic sleeves back to back right away:
Image Image
*NOTE: You can print these one at a time as they come up in the plans too, if you'd rather not print them all now. I prefer to print them all at once as it saves time in the day to day.

Print Hands-on Composer Study PDF pages. As I have other dc who will eventually be using RevtoRev, I made a 1 inch 3 ring binder with clear plastic pages for the PDF's of the PROJECT DIRECTIONS and the ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS (as they aren't consumable and will be used again by my other dc). I made folders for the PDF's of the copies on white cardstock (as they are consumable, and will need to be copied again later for my other dc). I 3-hole punched the folders and put them in the binder too for easy storage.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here are the needed materials for the final assembly of the lapbook:
One colored file folder, packing tape, double-sided sticky tape, scissors, 1/4" piece of velcro, 2 pieces of 8 1/2" x 11" colored card stock, 1 piece of 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" colored card stock, 2 other pieces of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock that are different colors, and white card stock for the cover piece, optional: colored pencils

*NOTE: You can print these one at a time as they come up in the plans too, if you'd rather not print them all now. I prefer to print them all at once as it saves time in the day to day.

Plan for "Drawn into the Heart of Reading". Put sticky notes in the Teacher's Guide and the Student book for the first genre you'll do, and choose your books.

I like to choose my DITHOR books all at the start of the year. I pick the genres we didn't do last year (as we are now on 3 days a week for DITHOR within the guides, and we get through about 5 genres).
To pick books, I use HOD's book packs - I love HOD's book choices!!! :D I just look at the link on the web for the total number of days to spend on a book, divide the total number of pages of that book the number of days, and fill out the reading calendar in the Student Book.

Label composition books for R & S English and Dictation:

Choose a Common Place Book and choose a Journal for the Biblical Worldview. I took my dc to "Crossroads", a wonderful Christian bookstore, and they had many lovely selections that were inexpensively priced:

Choose a kind of paper for the "Creative Writing Lessons". She mentioned she writes on yellow legal pad, so that's what my ds chose:

Load the "Exploration Education" CD on the computer:
NOTE: This can be done on the first day otherwise too.

The last thing I do is go through the first month of plans in the guide, and put any books we'll be using during that month in a plastic tub that fits in our kitchen homeshcooling cupboard:

I put the rest of the books we'll need later in a different tub in our homeschooling cupboard, and we switch them out with the ones we finish as needed:

HOORAY - we are ready to start RevtoRev! :D I used to get ready for months to teach in ps. Getting completely ready for RevtoRev took me such a small amount of time. I like to get everything ready I possibly can, so if you'd rather do copies as they come up in the plans, that works just fine too! HTH, and I hope we all have a wonderful time sharing our year with our dc in RevtoRev together here with each other on the HOD Board! :D

In Christ,
Julie

ETA: Remember to remove the Answer Key from the Appendix of the State Study, as well as the Exploration Education Answer Key from its box. :D
Last edited by my3sons on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Re: Pics of Getting Ready for RevtoRev

Post by water2wine » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks Julie! You are the best! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Oh, Julie, thank you SO much! :D You are such a blessing to the ladies here on the board! I'm bookmarking this to save for later, as my son is only a guide and a half behind it! :D

Blessings as you start your year! :wink:

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 am

This would make a great link to post on the HOD facebook page! I LOVE looking at your scheduling and set up posts...my mind just works this way so I LOVE reading them , often more than a few times and I'm not even in the same guide!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:50 am

I just love this! Thank you for taking the time to share your excellent organizational ideas. I realized I could use a few more binders before our books get here :) I am also considering those plastic tubs, as getting the books neatly on and off the bookshelf can be a challenge :shock:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

andreamichele13

Post by andreamichele13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Julie!

This is wonderful! Do you happen to have a thread where you did this for RTR? I am starting that in the fall!

Thanks!
Andrea
ds, age 14
ds, age 8
dd, age 6
one on the way in September 2014!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:07 pm

I love this! :D What a great help! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 pm

I hope I can remember to search for this thread as we go through the guides :D

Thanks, Julie!!! :D
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Wow! You are amazing! I bookmarked this even though it'll be many years before we are in RevtoRev. :D Could you share share the link for your pics of getting ready for Bigger? Thanks for all your help!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:42 pm

I looooooove reading your prep posts and seeing your pictures! (including all your charts and schedules!) :D We all appreciate it so very much!
Is there one for CTC?? :)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:11 am

Thank you, very helpful. Does anyone have a link for the Bigger thread :wink:

Edited: found the thread for Bigger viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:59 am

Homeschooling6 wrote:Thank you, very helpful. Does anyone have a link for the Bigger thread :wink:

Edited: found the thread for Bigger viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531
Thanks a bunch! This will be very helpful for me next year :)
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:47 am

I just pinned this on pinterest so I can find it again.

Are there similar posts for any of the other guides?
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm getting excited. This is an awesome thread. I love the idea of pinning it also. Julie, do you have any previous pictures of getting ready for Beyond?

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

blessedmama

Post by blessedmama » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Love it! Just as the ladies previously requested... could you post any other threads for organizing your other guides as well?
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)