Writing Output in HOD and progression over the years

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
abrightmom

Writing Output in HOD and progression over the years

Post by abrightmom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:02 am

Ladies,

I'm looking for any relevant threads discussing HOD's writing progression. I am trying to put a writing scope & sequence on paper so that I can confirm that it fits our family's goals for writing. I'm working with the guides I have along with the week samples provided on the website :D . But, if there are any discussions, threads, posts, etc. that would help me to pull this together I'd REALLY appreciate that. Thanks!!
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Writing Output in HOD and progression over the years

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Katrina,

This is a good question, but one that takes a bit to answer as at HOD we hit writing all across the curriculum. So, we have a very multi-faceted approach to writing. In LHFHG, we begin with handwriting practice through a workbook until we are sure the kiddos have letter formation down well enough to move on to copywork in Beyond. In LHFHG, we also work on cloze passages, having kiddos practice finishing a sentence by adding a word in the blank that goes along with their read-alouds. They either trace or write the word, depending on their skill level. The Do It Carefully/Finding the Answers or Thinking Skills also provide fine motor skills practice at this age. Some of our art projects in LHFHG also require some writing, as well as the daily math lessons which require written responses as well. I mention the writing in math at the LHFHG level, as that is also a part of strengthening fine motor skills at this age. :D

In Beyond, we begin daily copywork of poetry and 4 times weekly written spelling word practice. We also practice writing sentences with the spelling words. We add an entry to the timeline almost weekly and do some written work within the gentle grammar lessons once weekly. Oral narration skills and a mini-Drawn into the Heart of Reading in the Storytime Box are practiced daily in Beyond in preparation for the written work that will come in these areas as students progress into Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts. Once each genre, students are asked to orally narrate while the parent writes down the narration to keep. We also continue writing in some of our project work and daily in math. Once kiddos begin Drawn into the Heart of Reading, there is also written work within that. :D

Our focus in LHFHG and Beyond is to allow kiddos to mature and strengthen their fine motor skills a bit at a time, gently build up their spelling and grammar skills, and begin forming the habit of correctly written copywork, before we ask the kiddos to do much formal writing. :D

In Bigger Hearts, we begin to head into more written work. We have kiddos begin cursive handwriting with the aid of a cursive workbook to practice correct letter formation. We work on 1-3 vocabulary cards each week with words from their history stories. Students use the context of the word to guess its meaning in the story, choose and copy the word's definition in the dictionary, use the word in a sentence, and draw a picture that shows the word's meaning. Students add to a timeline entry each week, and create a history notebook page with guided copywork and sketching from their history stories. They begin daily grammar lessons through Rod and Staff English 2 and should write one small portion on paper each lesson to practice learning to write smaller on wide-lined paper. The last chapter of Rod and Staff English 2 includes some writing lessons, after students have a better grasp of English overall. :D

In Bigger Hearts, students also copy the Bible verse they memorize each week. In addition they do a science notebook sheet each week with copywork of a Bible verse that matches their science reading. Along with the copywork, they are instructed to sketch and label specific diagrams or illustrations from their science readings. A formal lab sheet with question, guess, procedure, and conclusion is also completed each week, with the question and the steps to the procedure provided in the plans. Experiments match the science readings, giving students some foundation on which to base their guess. Typically, Drawn into the Heart of Reading is begun here too, meaning some writing in that area as well. :D

In Preparing Hearts, there is daily copywork scheduled to be done in cursive. The copywork rotates by day through history, science, and Bible. Students also do copywork through Draw and Write Through History. Formal written narration instruction begins at this level once weekly. Guiding questions are provided to help students think about what they read before they begin to write. Students begin writing a 3-5 sentence narration and move to writing a 5 sentence narration. As the year progresses, students are asked to highlight or underline the main idea sentence in their narration. Students also begin to keep a Common Place Book, in which they are directed to copy their Bible verses from the week (which they add to as the year progresses because they are memorizing entire Psalms at a time), as well as quotes, and passages from their literature. The students choose a poem to memorize each 9 weeks and this chosen poem is also copied in the Common Place Book. :D

In Preparing Hearts in science the lab sheet is continued, as well as the copywork and sketching within the notebook, but students also begin answering questions about the readings each week. Vocabulary cards are continued and move up to 3-5 words each week. A timeline is done, in a stairstep fashion or an accordian fashion and added to each week. Rod and Staff English 3 or 4 is used and both levels include formal writing instruction. Studied dictation is underway at this age, training the students in capturing correct spelling in their minds and reproducing it correctly on paper (including punctuation, usage, and grammar too). Students also practice and begin forming the habit of proofreading through comparing their passage to the correctly written one. In Preparing Hearts, we also begin teaching the writing process through once weekly writing lessons that stem from the poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson. Drawn into the Heart of Reading continues to firm up the skills of expressing what was read in written form and in gathering a student's thoughts and getting them down on paper. :D

In CTC, a formal full-color notebook begins in order to give student one large notebook by the end of the Modern Times guide that will cover all of world history in chronological order. A section is added each year until the notebook is complete. Within the notebook, students create a labeled timeline each week, choose a passage that they found significant from their history story to copy each week, add to a prophecy fulfillment chart that shows how Christ fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies within the New Testament and summarize the prophecy in their own words by comparing the O.T. and N.T. Scripture, write a 5-8 sentence narration (beginning with questions to prompt the student which gradually fade as the year progresses), and do written project work that is directly connected to the history readings. Students also complete postcards for their A Child's Geography: Explore the Holy Land for each country studied. Students continue adding to their Common Place Book by copying Scripture memorized each week and copying the poetry of Robert Frost that they have chosen to memorize each quarter. Weekly, a stanza of Robert Frost's poetry is copied to include on the painting project for the poem for that week. :D

In science for CTC, students continue with their lab sheets, science copywork/notebooking, and answering questions each week. Vocabulary words are now a part of the science questions at this level, as well as Biblical application questions for the science that require a written answer. Choice of Rod and Staff English 4 or 5 is part of CTC (along with writing lessons within those texts). Half of the chosen grammar is covered in CTC with half the following year, in order to allow time for the formal descriptive writing program Write with the Best that is scheduled twice weekly to alternate with grammar instruction. Write with the Best Vol. I includes units on writing descriptive paragraphs (by describing an object, by describing a place, and by describing a character). It also includes units on writing a dialogue, writing a fable, writing a friendly letter, and writing poetry in rhyming verse. Write with the Best uses classic works of literature for students to use as a model for their own writing. Studied dictation continues in CTC to hone spelling, grammar, writing, and proofreading skills. Drawn into the Heart of Reading begins to go more deeply in the writing area as well, as the study of literature deepens. :D

In RTR, students add a new section to their history notebook. The notebook includes keeping a timeline each week, writing down answers to research questions based on a place students have read about that day. Research was practiced in Preparing Hearts and CTC orally in preparation for the written answers now required at this level. Students also write an 8-12 sentence narration about their history stories each week without any extra prompts in the guide. This skill was introduced and practiced in Preparing Hearts and CTC. Students complete written information about a character from history each week and also label a different character's picture and mark his/her place of residence on a world map. Students also label corresponding history maps each week. With the Storytime sessions, students add to cards that denote vivid descriptions, new vocabulary, plot twists, strong moods, great lines, and life lessons (doing one topic a day). Students continue keeping their Common Place Book, adding the Bible passage memorized, the poetry of Emily Dickinson they've chosen to memorize, and Bible verses and quotes from their purity study done weekly through Boyhood and Beyond or Beautiful Girlhood. Copywork of Shakespeare quotes is also done weekly in the Shakespeare notebook along with the corresponding Shakespeare readings. Students must also put their own thoughts into words in the inductive study of Philippians and as they ponder their Drawn into the Heart of Reading assignments. :D

In science in RTR, students continue with the lab sheet and the copywork of verses plus notebooking. However, we add beginning written narration practice once weekly from the science readings with guided questions to help. Sentence starters are also provided to get students off on the correct foot. On alternating weeks, a choice of 3 narration topics is given for the student's science written narrations. There is also vocabulary work done on these same days. Postcard templates from A Child's Geography are used for part of the written narration practice. The last half of Rod and Staff English 4 or 5 provides more formal writing instruction. Medieval-History Based Writing Lessons are scheduled 3 times weekly with units on writing from key word outlines, summarizing references, research reports, formal essay and report writing, narrative stories, literary critiques, creative essay writing with thesis, and the super-essay. Outlining is taught formally through Rod and Staff and key word outlining is taught through Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons. Vocabulary cards are also included within Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons and vocabulary lessons are included in DITHR once weekly as well. :D

Anyway, I have only addressed the written work and the writing related assignments in each of our guides in this post, but you get the idea that at HOD nothing is random and everything has a purpose. This is why one guide prepares a child well for the next guide in line. We never ask kiddos to do something that we have not introduced and practiced first in previous guides. The new guide Revival to Revolution will continue to build on the skills from previous guides. We strive to strengthen student's skills step-by-step in writing as they grow so that they will be equipped to handle whatever the Lord may call them to do! We are in the writing age, where we are often measured by the words we write. Since God chose to convey Himself in writing to us through His word, we desire our children to be fully prepared to express themselves in that way too. But we want our children to always be mindful to honor the Lord in all that they write. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Carrie,

I am replying teary eyed.... :D The Lord knew that I needed to hear from you on this subject. What you have written is THE confirmation I need that HOD is the right path (& reminds me why we chose HOD to begin with). I'm beyond words right now. Thank-you for the sacrifice of time and for answering God's call on your life. It has been a very challenging couple of weeks for me as I've grappled with the pull between HOD and classical education. The writing component was one of my biggest areas of challenge, both to understand and to compare. I've spent hours researching and setting up a framework for writing over the years. HOD will help me meet the goals I have for my kids!! Praise the Lord for His peace. I am being flooded with it today and I pray that you will be as well. We are praying for your precious family during your busy season!
2019-2020 plans
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Carrie,

I also wanted to post and say thank you for this amazing outline you gave!! This also gives me a peace, seeing the big picture of how it all comes together. Thank you for your precious time. Your explanations of how everything works are so helpful and really concrete the path the Lord has set me on, following your wonderful example and leading. :wink:

Thank you for all you do!
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 pm

I just wanted to add...
I think it would be so helpful to see how each subect grows each year. I would love to have a chart of some kind for each subject. My brain does best with charts! Lol! The reason why I mention this is I was just looking at cbd's new catalog and saw an art curriculum. I know that is art studied all throughout HOD, but I haven't "seen" the progression laid out anywhere. This was a great post on writing. I think it would be helpful for people to really lock into HOD for the long term if they really saw how each subject grows each year and everything really is covered.

Just in case you don't have enough to do...
:mrgreen:
Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Mercy wrote:I just wanted to add...
I think it would be so helpful to see how each subect grows each year. I would love to have a chart of some kind for each subject. My brain does best with charts! Lol! The reason why I mention this is I was just looking at cbd's new catalog and saw an art curriculum. I know that is art studied all throughout HOD, but I haven't "seen" the progression laid out anywhere. This was a great post on writing. I think it would be helpful for people to really lock into HOD for the long term if they really saw how each subject grows each year and everything really is covered.

Just in case you don't have enough to do...
:mrgreen:
Mercy
The placement chart kind of does this. :)
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

Mercy

Post by Mercy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah, I guess so. I was thinking flipped around instead of it being catagorized by each manual the emphasis is on each subject...well, it makes sense in my brain. Maybe for most it would seem redundant. I am weird like that sometimes...

I have been on this board all day since i needed to stay put in one spot...it has been a long day.
Think it is past time for bed for me! Lol!
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:33 am

Katrina,

I'm so glad that it was helpful to see the progression of writing throughout our guides. :D We choose our writing programs each year, and how to assign written work within our guides, based on a progression of skills each year making sure each guide builds on the skills taught in the subsequent guide. :D This is why you'll see such variety in what we choose to use resource-wise each year, as we have certain skills we are looking for those resources to fulfill to give kiddos a well-rounded, God-honoring, academically challenging foundation. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you Carrie for this. Most times the scope & sequence of programs just don't do the programs justice. The why's behind the choices and REAL explanations such as this one and others you have in the "Sticky" on the Board Index are of invaluable help. S&S's never really give you the big picture and leave out so much information. I know for me that's why I've done some curriculum jumping, because the S&S left out so much information that I never really saw it being covered and then of course, :shock: panic!

Thank you for making the time to do this. I've never seen another program that will really explain their vision. You can truly see your heart in your product.
:D
Ann
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Ann,

You're welcome! :D I agree that it is tough to see the progression of skills in a scope and sequence, so it is wonderful to have the progression spelled out in detail. :D I'm so glad this was helpful! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

I think I may add this to the sticky at the top of the board about HOD's choices, if it is helpful. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Carrie wrote:I think I may add this to the sticky at the top of the board about HOD's choices, if it is helpful. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Yes!!!!! Thanks Carrie. This is very helpful. Adding some writing tidbits from Rev2Rev would be great too :mrgreen: .
2019-2020 plans
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

annaz

Post by annaz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:39 am

YES! :D
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Carrie,

At your convenience would you update this thread to contain info. regarding Rev to Rev, MTMM and the new Geography guide. It would be of great value to me and to many others as well, I imagine.

And I have a question regarding writing - it seems that HOD covers writing so well across the curriculum and format writing with the use of Rod and Staff that I find myself wondering why/if a "formal" writing curriculum component is needed. Your thoughts?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

sltress

Post by sltress » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 pm

I am bumping this post as I have the same question "delta gal" did awhile back.
Thx!
deltagal wrote:Carrie,

At your convenience would you update this thread to contain info. regarding Rev to Rev, MTMM and the new Geography guide. It would be of great value to me and to many others as well, I imagine.

And I have a question regarding writing - it seems that HOD covers writing so well across the curriculum and format writing with the use of Rod and Staff that I find myself wondering why/if a "formal" writing curriculum component is needed. Your thoughts?
Stacey