2 in one program-narration

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

2 in one program-narration

Post by Gwenny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:11 pm

So, how do you do the narration when you have 2 listening in at the same time. Do you just alternate who goes first? Do you do it separately? I haven't really done the narration.

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

aprilmd

Re: 2 in one program-narration

Post by aprilmd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I have three children doing narrations. I take the child who has read the book first into their room. After the first one is finished and goes back to their work I bring in the next child. I always have my oldest child go last and in front of her sisters. I love for her sisters to hear her narration. She does a beautiful job. My youngest always gleans some information from her older sister.
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I usually have one narrate on one day and the other on the next day. If it is a longer reading, I'll read part of it, have one narrate, then read the last part and have the other narrate.

Here are a couple of links from the past that will give you more ideas of how others handle this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7770&p=56667
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5061&p=37100

Blessings,
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks! Those links are great and the ideas really help. I'm new to this whole narration and dictation thing. Makes me sad for my older children who never got a chance to to HOD. Can I have a do-over and have my old teens (and my 20s) children go back to being little??? :)

Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm

I hear you Nancy about a do-over. I wish I could have one with my own education! I guess I just have to be happy that I'm getting that education now. I wish I could go back to preschool and do LHTH with my dc. I hate we missed out on that. I guess the great thing is we have HOD now! I'm learning a lot about dictation and narration now and enjoying learning more about the CM methods and all the wonderful material that HOD has. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

I'd love a do-over on many things in life, but not our schooling! I have used HOD from the start and loved it - BUT I bet your kids will really know how much they should appreciate HOD because of the other things they have done. Sometimes I want to shout out to my dc - "Do you know how blessed you are to be doing school this way?!? My school was sooooooo inferior to this in sooooooo many ways - it was not as fun, it was twice as long, it had me reading dry textbooks, it had me doing a kazillion worksheets, taking a hundred meaningless quizzes and tests, never doing hands-on projects or experiments because 30 kids were sharing one balloon or balance scale, I never got to 'talk' to the teacher and just enjoy my learning talking-wise like oral narrations let you do, I had no lovely portfolio of what I'd done from the year and even if I had it would have been filled with black and white worksheet after worksheet, I never got to see my sisters during the day or have a snack or even use the bathroom when I needed to, and yada, yada, yada." :shock: Anyway, I think my dc just don't know how thankful they should be sometimes, though they are happy with their schooling and they love so much of what we are doing - I guess maybe they just will never be able to love it enough for me - maybe because I wish I could look back fondly on an HOD style education of my own when I think back through my schooling, but that's just not how it went. :? Soooooo, all this to say in a roundabout way - I bet your dc are going to really appreciate so many things about HOD that maybe mine take for granted! A blessing in disguise to coming to HOD later. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie