DITHOR- how long for book

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

DITHOR- how long for book

Post by Gwenny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:25 am

How do you decide how many days to spread out the reading to fill in that chart? You are supposed to make a choice of 3 books for 5 days, etc., is there something that helps you determine that?
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

2littleblessings

Re: DITHOR- how long for book

Post by 2littleblessings » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm definitely not an expert, but I try to judge from my dd's capabilities. Most of the time, if I use the books from the DITHOR book packs, I pretty much follow Carrie's suggestions. If there are two books for a genre, I decide whether to use our 15 days of reading evenly for both books or take an eaiser one in 5 days or a longer one for 10. Sometimes it just comes down to dividing the number of pages over 15 days. For instance, we are doing Level 2/3 Historical Fiction right now, and my dd will be reading Sarah, Plain and Tall and Matchlock Gun. I checked both out from the library before-hand to make my schedule (budget doesn't allow us to buy as many books as we'd like!) The two books were relatively of the same length and same level, so I split our reading days almost in half. A few times so far, we've chosen other books besides the book pack list, and then I have to look much more closely at the difficulty level and length to make sure it is appropriate for her independent reading level. Reading levels are assigned in so many different ways, so I really appreciate Carrie's suggestions and lists!
Loving our third year of HOD
DD - 7, doing BHFHG, DITHOR 3
DS - 3.75, making trouble

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:35 pm

That helps! I missed that she had given days for the book packs. I'm sure I saw it before, but I've looked at so many things I get lost! :)

Blessings,
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Just to give you a guideline, you can look at the books and the number of days HOD has planned for them to be read on this chart here:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

If you are using HOD's DITHOR Book Packs, you can just follow HOD's plan for the noted # of days of reading for each book (which is what I personally am quite relieved and happy to be doing :wink: ). But even if you are putting together your own books, looking at how HOD paces books will be helpful to use as a guide. HOD does this planning for all DITHOR Book Packs, and they are amazing books to boot! This is why I take advantage of them, but for those that love to choose their own books and do their own pacing, that is a nice option too. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Julie, I have missed that. Does a list come with the DITHOR pack, or is the pacing somewhere in the guide that I overlooked?
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 am

8arrows - The pacing is on the HOD website behind each listing of each book, as well as in the HOD catalog. The pacing is planned out for all HOD book packs, but not for the multitude of books in the Suggested Book Ideas List, as often the combination of 1, 2, or 3 books makes a difference in the pacing. Here is a link to each of the lists that note the pacing:
Level 2 and Level 3 Book Packs:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

Level 4/5 Book Packs:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional4-5.php

Level 5/6 Book Packs:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional5-6.php

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years