Presidents

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
2girls2teach

Presidents

Post by 2girls2teach » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 pm

My 13 yo dd is currently doing CTC and is asking if we are going to study the Presidents at some time in HOD. I believe she is comparing what she is learning in her studies to what her friends are learning (or have learned). I told her I would ask this question on the board. I did see a recent post about the book after RTR that the studies will be on the states (yay!), which makes me think that it is the US History level for high school?

Thanks!
Tricia

In 4th year of hs'ing.
Started HOD in August 2010
dd #1: CTC, Math-U-See, Growing with Grammar
dd #2: BHFHG. Math-U-See, Growing with Grammar, All About Spelling
My blog: http://hiscrossforlife.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Presidents

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:19 am

Tricia,

At this point in time the plan is to study the signers of the Declaration of Independence within the guide after RTR. The signers will be included within the Student Notebook page assignments. Then, in the guide which comes after that, we will study the Presidents. Hope that helps! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

2girls2teach

Post by 2girls2teach » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks Carrie! That helps a bunch!

We also have a book called "The Lives of the Signers" from Wall Builders that would be an excellent supplement for the book after RTR (unless that is the book you are using). I just hope it won't be too much. We'll see.... :)
Tricia

In 4th year of hs'ing.
Started HOD in August 2010
dd #1: CTC, Math-U-See, Growing with Grammar
dd #2: BHFHG. Math-U-See, Growing with Grammar, All About Spelling
My blog: http://hiscrossforlife.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 am

Tricia,

The Lives of the Signers is truly a wonderful book, but it is quite difficult. It will be terrific for high school level students to use as a resource for completing the notebook entries on the signers. At this point in time, it looks like we will be providing the choice of using a book that is about the signers for younger students, along with the choice of several websites with wonderful information on the signers, and then allowing older students to use either of these resources or a book such as Lives of the Signers instead. The signers entries in the notebook will be the research portion of the new guide, allowing parents choice among which resource to use to complete the research portion based on the best fit for the age of their child, their child's reading level, and their family's budget. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Just to jump in on a topic I know soooo little about :lol: We have used For You They Signed by Marilyn Boyer. We have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a character studies from the Lives of Signers of the Declaration of Independence. Excellent, excellent!

:D Shelly
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:03 pm

You are right! This is another book that could be used as a resource for the research portion of the signers lives. :D There are quite a few resources available in this area and all will work. We have read and considered the Boyer book as well, and find it to be interesting and Christian and definitely a consideration worth pondering. I cannot say enough good about Marilyn Boyer (and Rick too). What wonderful people committed to American patriotism and a Godly upbringing for their children. :D

We will be weighing all choices as we select a book to recommend in this area. Yet, in this area a family could use a different resource from ours and still be fine. As we choose what to offer within our package, we will be keeping in mind that the child will likely be working through this area on his/her own, unless we can find teacher time to devote to this area (which is also a consideration that is not completely decided at this point). Since whether the child uses the resource on his/her own or with a parent makes a difference in the choice of resource, at this point we desire a resource that is presented in a narrative fashion and has a living quality that makes the signers memorable so that they come to life. Once we determine whether the teacher will be involved with this aspect, we will know more clearly which resource fits that need. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

I am so glad this was asked this. My kids have these president playing cards or I should say information cards and they really enjoy learning about them. So glad HOD has this covered. Another thing I can cross off my list. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:46 pm

We shoved in American History last year via R&S - now I really wish we had waited for the future guides. We could have done CTC last year and been a bit more on track. Drat! Oh well, we are so thoroughly enjoying CTC now and this must have been God's plan for us as He does not make mistakes. Perhaps my ds would not have been ready to tackle CTC last year. At any rate, thank you for the excellent information, Carrie!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.