The NEXT guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DHT1999

The NEXT guide

Post by DHT1999 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:42 am

Can anyone point me to any threads that give us a glimpse into what may be in the guide that Carrie is writing for after RtR? I have tried to do a search but couldn't come up with anything. I really need to know if this program will be something that I could do with a 9th grader. I know some areas will need alot of adjusting, but I am hoping it may work. I read on another board that Carrie had shared what a couple of the spine books may be, so I thought it may have come up here recently.

Thanks for any help!!
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

basesloaded

Re: The NEXT guide

Post by basesloaded » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 pm

There is a little info on the HOD homepage if you click on the scope & sequence link. Here it is for you http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php . Hope that helps some :D .
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Actually :D , I think this is what you are looking for. Carrie posted this response to an earlier question ....

Re: Maybe this is a secret... ;-)
by Carrie on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Ah, Ladies! You don't miss a thing do you! We do have a plan now to add a Geography guide after we complete the four year history cycle, so this will be the third guide in line after RTR. The guide will bridge the threshold into high school for grade 9 and will count for gegraphy credit. We are thinking at this point in time that it will be set up in a similar way to our current guides (CTC/RTR). It will be suitable for those who finish the history cycle early and need to use it with an 8th grader and also be suitable for those who need to use it for 9th grade high school credit in geography.

We are looking to schedule a Bible study as well that will likely count for Bible credit. We will add additional reading material in the geography area to Ellen McHenry's truly excellent Mapping the World with Art. On a sidenote, this decision comes upon the wings of the fact that in its completed stage Ellen's guide is even better than we had originally hoped and will be the main spine for projects and mapping activities.

For additional geography content reading, we are thrilled to have found Synge's Book of Discovery that matches very well with Ellen's Mapping the World with Art. It is linked for you to preview here: http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf

Here is its description: A Book of Discovery by M. B. Synge
A fascinating account of the world's famous explorers, including the early travelers in ancient times, the discovery of the New World, explorations in Africa and Australia, and the expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic. Many of the explorers tell part of their story in their own words. Amply illustrated with reproductions of early maps and charts, as well as old woodcuts, drawings, paintings, and miniatures. Emphasis is placed on the explorers' 'record of splendid endurance, of hardships bravely borne, of silent toil, of courage and resolution unequalled in the annals of mankind, of self-sacrifice unrivalled and faithful lives laid ungrudgingly down.' Ages 12-18
527 pages $17.95

One other book that is under consideration as part of the geography reading spines is Great Adventures of the Twentieth Century by Ron Tagliapietra (published by BJU). It is linked here: http://www.bjupress.com/product/114116

We will also likely schedule grammar, a writing program, options for literature study, a science option, poetry (either within the lit. study or on its own), and additional readings of biographies and historical fiction to enhance the study. There will be some form of an extension package, and we will make recommendations for math.

We would be looking for the areas of language arts, geography, Bible, science, and math to be high school credit worthy recommendations, depending on your state's requirements of course. As always, you would be able to substitute your own favorites easily in the language arts, math, and science areas.

Blessings,
Carrie
Suzy in Eastern NC

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:34 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=640&hilit=poor+richard

Donna, the above linked thread is a older discussion of beefing up Bigger for a student older than the extensions. If you scroll down to Carrie's post, she has added an update about some of the resources to be used in the next guide so that people will know to avoid using those.

Hope that helps.
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

jg_puppy

Post by jg_puppy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:45 am

I didn't start this thread, but I have been wondering about the next guides. I am planning on starting CTC next year and can't wait.

Janet

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 am

:D Even more Info from another area on the message board viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1655
Suzy in Eastern NC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:58 am

The new guide is a work in progress, and I know Carrie is going to be revealing first here on the board as different parts of it come together. I am excited as well! :D By being on the HOD Board, you are definitely the best place for being the first to learn about what is to come. :wink:
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone! I knew Carrie was still writing and there wouldn't be alot revealed at this point but I had read on another board that two of the spine books had been mentioned here, so I thought there may be a few more tidbits floating around! I'll check back as time progresses! I am anxious to find out if this guide will be appropriate for a 9th grader as I'd really love for that to be the case!!

Blessings,
Donna T.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:06 pm

My older son will be doing RTR in 7th grade, the next guide in 8th grade, and the final 4-year history cycle guide in 9th grade. Should he do the geography one in 10th grade or will it not be written for kids that old?
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

jg_puppy

Post by jg_puppy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Tree House Academy wrote:My older son will be doing RTR in 7th grade, the next guide in 8th grade, and the final 4-year history cycle guide in 9th grade. Should he do the geography one in 10th grade or will it not be written for kids that old?
I am curious about this as well. I plan on using CTC with my 6th grader next year. I would really like to use the geography program in 9th grade, but I will probably have to move it 10th grade so we don't miss or rush through any of the other programs.

Janet

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Ladies,

You have been so patient in asking about the new guide, and I am thrilled to be able to start giving you some wonderful sneak peaks into it! We are still pondering its exact title, so for now we'll just call it the guide after RTR. :wink:

We have the spines for history almost completely in place at this point and are excited about the line-up. I say "almost completely" as sometimes as the writing progresses further we run across a needed change that we didn't foresee at first. So, here goes... for the history spines: 8)

George Washington's World by Genevieve Foster (My hands-down favorite of the Foster books! :D)
History Lives: Hearts and Hands by Mindy and Brandon Withrow (with several chapters omitted for content) (Link: http://www.historylivesseries.com/?page_id=7 )
The Story of Napolean by H. E. Marshall (Link: http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf )
The Growth of the British Empire by M.B. Synge (Link: http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/previ ... review.pdf )
The Story of the Great Republic by H.A. Guerber (Link: http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber/ ... tents.html )

Description of George Washington's World from the publisher: :D
The period measured by the life of George Washington—1732 to 1799 —was one of revolution and change in many parts of the world as Enlightenment thinking took hold in the minds of men. When George was a young man, Benjamin Franklin was the most well-known American, Louis XV was on the throne of France, and George II was king of England. Father Junipero Serra had just arrived in Mexico to work with the Panes Indians. Mozart and Bach were writing their immortal music and Voltaire warred with his pen against Ignorance, Injustice and Superstition. The young nobleman Lafayette watched the feisty American colonies with fascinated interest as they stood up to Mother England when she sought to tax them unfairly. James Cook was sent by the Royal Society of London to Tahiti where their team of astronomers might observe a total eclipse of the sun and thereby accurately measure the distance between the earth and the sun. These are just a few of the wonderful narratives explored by Foster in her Newbery Honor Book of 1940. Prolifically illustrated with intriguing line drawings and detailed timelines, Foster's telling of the life story of George Washington does justice to the man it celebrates.

Both George Washington's World by Foster and The Story of the Great Republic were series selected for inclusion in Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Curriculum Picks. :D

If you haven't already seen the discussion on the signers of the Declaration of Independence, I'll link it here as another sneak peek into the new guide to come after RTR! :wink: Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7573

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank you Carrie for quenching our thirst! :D It's always good to know "what's cooking?!" And it sure looks good...
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 pm

We are on week 7 of RTR and loving it.
Now you just made me excited for next year. :D :D

Thank you!
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 pm

That sounds wonderful, Carrie. The Age of Reason/Enlightenment - is that the correct time period? If so, my son will absolutely LOVE this. He has told me he wants to be an "inventor" someday. We shall see! LOL
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

michmom2

Post by michmom2 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:22 pm

So great to have a "preview"! Can't wait for the rest of the story!