Using Queen Language Lessons?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Blessed with seven

Using Queen Language Lessons?

Post by Blessed with seven » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi,

Does anyone use Queen Homeschool Langauge Lessons w/ these guides? I am trying to decide which guide to use but our Language skills don't match up, we take a much more relaxed approach to Language ARts and focus mainly on the basics for several years.

I want to use these guides but worry about lining everything up. Do Math and LA line up w/ everything else or could you still use the guides even if I can't get the LA and Math to line up?

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Kim

deltagal

Re: Using Queen Language Lessons?

Post by deltagal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi Kim,

The way HOD uses Rod and Staff is pretty relaxed IMHO. The best advice is to select the guide where your children place best using the HOD prioritizing chart. You can then tweak the levels of Math and Grammar to fit your child. But proper placement will make or break your HOD experience. :wink: Tell us more about your children and where you believe they place and we can go from there.

On a separate note, I "thought" HOD used Queen LL way back when, although I could be mistaken, but switched to Rod and Staff along the way. You could do some seraching on the board to find our for sure.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 pm

All the skills that are in Queen's Language Lessons are also incorporated in the guides. I would recommend to do the placement test for you kiddo's and take it from there. HOD definately did a great job at using the Charlotte Mason method of teaching. The kiddo's learn so much fromt he short rotating lessons, the narration etc. that Carrie has included. Here is the link for the placement charts. http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
I would also suggest peeking around the reason's behind the HOD choices to see why Carrie made the suggested choices in the guides. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6248
Succes! :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Blessed with seven

Post by Blessed with seven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, I had started a post and can't find where it saves too..ha! Ok, one of my biggest problems is when I started homeschooling...well..a few years into it, my son through me for a loop, he was very active and I read about "unschooling" or whatever you want to call it, my older two girls were pretty easy, they both started in public school and were pretty much reading when I took them out in 1st and 2nd grade, what they didn't know they just seemed to learn. One thing I did right was making sure they had good quality literature to read and read they did. They are both at High School level, I did Notgrass History with them, which they really liked.

My son, who I started VERY late, has struggled w/ learning to read and w/ math. His reading took off but he is still not "up to grade level". I have not done formal grammar w/ him, who is 13 or with my 9 year old, almost 10. I am very overwhelmed. I jump around from curriculum to curriculum and I want it to stop. I try doing all the kids in the same thing and that doesn't work. I have a 2 1/2 year old, a 5 year old (both of my youngest boys), my 6 year old and 9 year old daughters will be 7 and 10 in a few months. My 13 year old is sort of "by himself"... So...I have my 9 year old that is still working on her fluency in reading, she is doing well in Math, my 6 year old doing ETC online for phonics and Alpha Phonics, I am working w/ my 5 year old on letter sounds. My 9 year old still needs help, both her and my 13 year old son, reading has NOT COME EASY. My 6 year old is taking off and I think my 5 year old son will do well. So...I feel like we are all over the place in skill levels etc...and I know I would not get 3 different programs done.

I had decided a few months ago to just do Robinson Curriculum, keep it nice and simple, they read and write. But...my kids, right or wrong, are not going to do well, sitting for 5 hours a day or whatever. I really want my son, who is 13, to LOVE reading and he just doesn't. He doesn't like doing school at all. He really struggles w/ being obedient. He will do his school work but the times he is not kept busy well...it makes it hard for me to get things done w/ the other kids. So...in my search for the PERFECT curriculum to help him WANT to do school I have realized he really just needs to learn to obey ...it is not going to be the curriculum that changes him around, it is going to be the Lord and I want Bible, memory verses etc...to be apart of what we do, to be the most important part of what we do. I think God should be apart of everything.

So...Sorry for the long post. I have struggles so much w/ curriculum and have realized I have been trying to find the perfect thing for him and it doesn't matter what I get. He is at an age where he needs to really start putting forth effort. I feel responsible because of how I started, or didn't start that I am not changing the way I do things w/ the younger ones so ...feel like I have a LOT on my plate and am just not real sure how to get everyone going and keep it going, without completely overwhelming myself.

Thanks for "listening"!

Kim (homeschooling mom of 7)

Blessed with seven

Post by Blessed with seven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:52 pm

P.S. Don't worry, this will be short :shock:

One of the main reasons I wanted to do Queen Language Lessons was because of the picture study and poetry copy work etc...I just love the idea of them looking at the beautiful pictures and telling me about them but have tried to put together something on my own and well...isn't working.

Kim

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Poetry and copywork is included in Heart of Dakota. If you still want picture study, then yes you need to look for that elsewhere. Although there is art appreciation using Looking at Pictures in the Resurrection to the Reformation guide. Not sure if that is picture study?

I feel sad for your situation. Would your husband make your son accountable to him? I really think at that age they need to be answering to a man, but that is just my personal opinion.

I'm not going to even try to help you with placement in the HOD programs as I just don't feel that I am experienced enough to do so. I'm sure Julie or Carrie will jump in and help you out as much as they can.

south5

Post by south5 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi, I just read all your posts and I wanted to comment about what you said about your son learning to obey and incorporating the Bible. I just switched to HOD this year and I too have tried many different curriculums. My oldest son, 10, cannot spell or do creative writing. I just failed him on that. I also have issues with him and obedience and pride. A lot of times I feel he believes he is smarter than me and knows better than me. I love that HOD incorporates the Bible into everything! I love that we are reading several different verses together everyday! We are discussing the Bible and it feels so right to do this. This is what I have been looking for, a real curriculum that really puts God first. I wanted to reassure you about Math and LA too. I am using Preparing with my 5th grade son, but it is very easy to use whatever level of math and LA that you want. My son actually fits into the LA because that is one area we struggled in. I have used Queen before and I think you could easily pencil it in instead of R&S and the dictation. Instead of staying with Queen I decided to try R&S English 3, and I am pleasantly surprised. It is quick and easy, we are liking it.

What levels are you looking at trying?
Alexis- Firefighter wife and mom to 3
Blake 11
Ashton 7
Brynna 4

Blessed with seven

Post by Blessed with seven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your post. I was thinking about Preparing, even though he would not fit in the age group. I thought about LHFHG for my 5 and 6 (soon to be 7) year old. Boy does my head hurt. I printed out the placement chart and started circling and we are all over the place. I want to get on track w/ my younger 4 so I don't do this again. I am not concerned with formal grammar until they are older...I really am not. That is not an area that I have regretted at all, one of FEW areas I have not regretted :cry: . My older children did not have formal grammar and I just am not that concerned w/ it, although I did read Carrie's info on why she chose R&S and that makes sense to me, especially when they start writing and I am not good in grammar at all. But..my head hurts, did I say that yet?

I am not trying to change Carrie's guides, I truly am not, just having a really hard time figuring this out. I don't want my son to start off in a very low level or R&S Grammar and have several years to go through, if that makes sense. So...I am not going to place him where he would fit for grammar or math. I am not even going to do Queen's w/ him, would do that w/ the younger ones. I really want my son to understand the plan of God, from beginning forward, I want him to get in a good chronological view of History. I thought about Preparing first though...I like the book choices a lot!

Oh boy...just do not know....he can read the books in Preparing....

Kim

south5

Post by south5 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:36 pm

If you wanted to use R&S I think I have heard the goal is to try to finish Level 6 by High School. So, you could try starting him in level 5, according to R&S levels 3-5 are reviews of one another. I think you can easily use Queen if it is just a better fit.
There is an older thread on using Preparing with a 7th grader : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7044
Alexis- Firefighter wife and mom to 3
Blake 11
Ashton 7
Brynna 4

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:45 pm

We had been using the Queen's Language Lesson book for my 9 year old son, but he didn't enjoy it. It was a struggle, although I thought it was so gentle and great. We ordered the Rod and Staff 2 and he is really enjoying it! :D He just needs a more structured approach, as he is a very black and white kind of child. So for my two cents, I would go for the R and S, although my youngest who is 7 likes the Queen's workbook he has, so I am sticking with that for him this year.
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Kim,

The ladies are doing a great job of talking through your options with you! If you get a chance to share the ages of the kiddos that you are currently considering HOD for than we can help so much better. Age is only one indicator as you'll want to pay attention to where the kiddos fit on mainly the first page of the placement chart to find the overall best fit for your children in the guides. :D

Even if you use a different language arts or math than what we schedule, the HOD guide will require the level of writing, listening, comprehension, and skills that you see on the placement chart. So, it's still important to weigh the first page of the chart the most heavily no matter which language arts and math you choose to use. To help with this task, maybe you could print out the first page of the chart 7 times, so you have a copy for each child. Then, do only one child each day just thinking about that child on that day. By the end of the week, you'll have a fuller picture of where each child should be placed individually and of who could best be combined where. Just a thought for focusing on one child each day, rather than all of them all at once for placement. :D

Anyway, we'd love to help more! Just let us know! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Blessed with seven

Post by Blessed with seven » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Thank you for that info Carrie. I have been looking at the placement chart...wow! It is going to be quite a challenge for my son because for his age, 13, he is not in the Creation to Christ for reading and writing. He has had a very difficult time learning to read, he is doing better, I have him in an intensive OG program BUT...he is not ready for Creation to Christ or R to R. Some of it has been lacking motivation to read, some of it is that it has just not come easy at all. I would say he falls more in the range of Preparing. He is reading independently but not at "grade level".

I have a 9 year old that falls into the Bigger Hearts. Now...I am considering Age, Reading and Writing, nothing more or it gets REALLY complicated.

I have a 5 and 6 year old that would fit nicely into Little Hearts and a 2 1/2 year old...well..obviously Little Hands. I don't think I will worry about him right now :shock:

Okay so....anyone feel like tackling this? I will say this...I can't do 3 programs, financially or otherwise. I really want to focus on my two older children, 13 and 9 (she will be 10 soon), but...I don't want to jump into a program in the middle of American History, maybe that is not a big deal. I would "like" to do Preparing and then get into Creation to Christ but don't want to put them in a level that would not work.

Kim (homeschooling mom of 7)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi Kim,

Welcome to HOD! I'll take a stab at this though I think there are a lot more knowledgeable ladies out there. :)

I'm thinking for your two little ones, LHFHG would be great. I would use the kindergarten options with the younger and the first grade options for the older one. The only exception there is I would probably just choose one of the science books and use it for both. I don't think there would be a need to have different ones there.

Since you can't do 3 guides, I think for the older two dc, I would choose Bigger. I know you were thinking about Preparing and that might be an option, but since they are both still struggling somewhat with reading and haven't had any formal grammar, Bigger might be a better place to start. It really isn't jumping into the middle of American History. It actually starts with Columbus and does an overview of early American History. The difference in history between Beyond and Bigger is the approach to American History. In Beyond a story approach is taken and in Bigger more of a biographical approach is taken. They cover similar time periods. So you wouldn't be jumping in half-way by starting with Bigger.

Bigger also has great character development. It is looking at some of the strong characters in history and studying their character as well as what they did. I am loving the Bible study component of Bigger this year. Each week we are studying a character trait and have a Bible verse that exemplifies it. So far we have studied persistence, humility, boldness, and trustworthiness. I'm loving the in depth discussions that we are having on these. I think the character studies might be just the thing for which you are searching for your ds.

I think Bigger might be a better choice also since it schedules R&S 2. It would be a simple and very gentle introduction to grammar for your dc. You could use the Bigger extensions for your oldest to beef up the program. It is easier to beef up the program than water it down. So that is another reason why I would choose Bigger instead of Preparing. Putting your daughter into Preparing might be stretching her too much. You would probably have to tweak it for her which means more work for you. If you use Bigger, you can just use the extensions for your ds which are already scheduled for you. I'm thinking too since you are just starting to get into something more formal, that it would be better to start easier rather than harder. Choosing something that would be easy enough for your ds might help with his compliance as well.

Those are just thoughts I had when reading over your posts. I hope it helps a little. :)
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Blessed with seven

Post by Blessed with seven » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:44 pm

You know...one more thing. I really, really want to get my son reading some really good books and developing his "love of learning", which he does not have. I don't want to hold him back or start w/ R&S 2 and then be "behind" for years trying to use their books. Does this make sense? My main focus is to have a regular Bible Study time w/ him, scheduled readers and reading times, History timelines, hands on map work, reading about Science etc..

Please do not "scream". I absolutely love the HOD books but the reason I have not done them w/ him is he is different in different areas, his "skill" areas are not on one neat little package all on the same grade level.

I am really wanting this to work for him, I want him reading good books, telling me about them, memorizing stuff...

I need a schedule clearly layed out of what he will be doing each day and what we will be doing together. I don't mind using Rod and Staff, I am having second thoughts about Queen LL because well...been reading lots of reviews....I am not good in grammar etc..so I need something pretty clearly layed out for me w/ answers etc..

Anyway....I appreciate very much help working through this and I will NOT be offended if you do not think this program would work for me.

Thanks again!

Kim

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 pm

I understand, at least somewhat. I don't think any child's skills fit neatly in a package and some have skills that are all over the place. God has gifted us all differently and that's wonderful! :D Since your ds doesn't have a love of learning right now that you want to ignite, I would really try to choose a program that is not overwhelming to him and has material that interests him. Which skills of your ds do you feel don't fit well in the HOD programs? That might really help figure out which program would be more appropriate. For instance, if hand writing is really a problem, then it would probably be better to go with Bigger since it requires less writing overall or at least know that you would have to tweak some of the assignments to minimize the writing in Preparing.

Both Preparing and Bigger will have wonderful books to read. Scroll down this link and check out the extension pack for Bigger: http://www.heartofdakota.com/bigger-hearts-packages.php. All of those are scheduled in the back of Bigger for him to read independently and then discuss with you in some way. I have read several of these books and they are wonderful. Preparing also has lovely books to read and scheduled extensions that you can get. We haven't done Preparing yet and I don't have the guide yet. I am chomping at the bit though to get it! :wink:

One of the main reasons I was thinking of Bigger for you instead of Preparing for you is because of your dd. I was afraid it might be a bit of a stretch for her. Age wise though, your dc would fit really well in Preparing. If you feel the need to gear your program more to your son, then Preparing might be a better way to go. Either program will have the Bible study, map skills, timelines, reading about history, science, etc. Preparing will take a bit more time and have more writing. I have read such wonderful things about it here that I can hardly wait until we get to it! :D

As far as the R&S goes, you could possibly start at 3 instead of 2 even if you go with Bigger. We're doing R&S3 this year with Bigger since we did 2 last year. We're just doing a lesson a day. It is still pretty gentle though the jump into diagramming could be a bit overwhelming for someone who hasn't studied grammar before. R&S2 was a very gentle introduction to grammar. It might be light enough that you could consider doing 2 lessons a day though I would be careful not to burn out on it. At this point, it might not be possible to do all of the recommended R&S books with your ds as HOD recommends them. I wouldn't worry about it. Just start where it seems appropriate and continue plodding along. Just get as far along as you can. It's such a solid grammar program, that he'll get a solid foundation and that will go a long way.

I think you will love the wonderful books that HOD chooses no matter which program you choose. The activities are fun and many wonderful discussions come from them and the readings. I pray that as you consider your choices that God will give you a peace about which way to go. :)
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1