OK, I need suggestions....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

OK, I need suggestions....

Post by Marsha » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 pm

I have combined a 7, 9, and 11 year old in Beyond.
I have added PLL, ILL, and their own math. I also added Queen A Living History of Our World with Journal, Elemental Biology, and Zoology 1 with journal.

I don't feel like either of them are challenged. I need a simple and challenging plan.
What would you do?
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

water2wine

Re: OK, I need suggestions....

Post by water2wine » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 pm

I am wondering where they actually placed on the placement chart. You have quite a stretch in age for Beyond. I am wondering if the older children are actually in the program they placed best in using the placement chart. http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:43 pm

I think they placed in Bigger, Preparing, and CTC.
I cannot do 3 guides this year. I also have a child doing high school and a child learning to read, plus a 3 and 1 year old.

I really need to 1 guide. I really would like to keep them together.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

Tabrett

Post by Tabrett » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm going to agree about placement. Beyond is for 6-8 year olds. You only have one that falls in that age range. Bigger is for 7-9 year olds plus it has extensions for your 11 year old. It seems Bigger would solve your delima.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm

I agree also. The abilities of children in such a wide age range can vary so much! This is why HOD guides were written with a narrow range, to target the abilities in the given range, for the best balance of challenge and success. You may find it easier than you think to use Beyond for your 7 year old and put the older two in Bigger, with Extensions for the 11-year old. For example, you can get the older two started with something they can do semi-independently, such as grammar or math or reading, while you focus on teaching the 7 year old. There are others on the board successfully using multiple guides with large families (and toddlers), and I hope some will pop in and post their encouragement.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:18 pm

I agree w/ the others. I wouldn't use Beyond. If you really only want one guide, I'd use Bigger. I know it is intimidating to think of using 3 guides. The older guides, though, include independent work. You could maybe try two guides? You may find you were working harder to keep them all together in Beyond than you would using two guides. just a thought...

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:09 pm

I used Beyond with my 8 and 10 yo last year and it worked fine. However, I did use grammar, dictation, and math that was on each child's individual level and I used the Science assignments from Bigger with my 10 yo. So, with that in mind I think if you've got the Beyond guide and all the books you need for that level then I would make sure each one has math, grammar and dictation that is specific for them and the Science assignments from Bigger with the 9 and 11 yo. If you use Rod and Staff grammar on their individual levels then that will get in advanced writing assignments and still keep it "simple." I would also begin the 9 and 11 yo with cursive instruction. If they've completed it then I would have them do their copywork in cursive. Just some thoughts.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm

I have very few worthy suggestions :lol: ...but I can tell you what worked for us. Last year we used Preparing Hearts for His Glory for my 10 yos. The older child used extensions (oldest 10 yo - was 11 when we finished it), and the younger child (youngest 10 yo - who is no longer with us - was 9 when we started) completed the program as written. Of course, each child did appropriate math and l.a. That is what worked best for my two boys. But, then, of course, I don't have a 7 yo...so...who am I to offer anything?? :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 pm

An 11 year old in Beyond? I don't think you would even be able to make Beyond challenging enough for an 11 year old (I am doing it with a 6, almost 7 year old right now and I have an 11 year old doing CTC) without making the guide unrecognizable (and the most wonderful way to use HOD is "as written")!

I would keep your youngest in Beyond and move your older two to Preparing. For the 11 year old, I would add the Preparing Extension package.

ETA: I notice that others suggested "Bigger" for the older two. I disagree for two reasons... 1. You would be doing back to back guides (Beyond and then Bigger) and that would be really annoying next year when you have to repeat Bigger with the younger child. 2. Bigger, even with extensions, would be a stretch for an 11 year old. Neither of your older two placed in Bigger at all. I would have to do two guides if I were you - Bigger is a stretch for some 7 year olds (especially those who were not started on HOD from the beginning) and still wouldn't really challenge your 11 year old. She/he needs independence, as does the 9 year old, and Preparing offers that.
Your older two children should be able to do a good majority of it independently and it is also a 4 day a week schedule - so you have that 5th day for catching up, co-op, working more one on one with the others, etc.

I also wanted to add that Elemental Science is meant to be a grammar age Science for younger kids - unless they have put out something since I last looked at their site. It will likely not challenge the older kids either (although it is fun).
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:03 am

I can see you wanting to keep them together. You have a lot on your plate, and I know from pp that your health is a concern right now. (I'm praying for you still, Marsha, and I hope you are finding some answers and feeling some better). So, does one of these options sound better than the other?
1) put all 3 in Bigger Hearts, and have oldest do extensions
2) keep 7 and 9 yo in Beyond, and have oldest do CTC half-speed (if oldest is up to it, CTC is very independent, and half-speed I'd guess your teaching time to be around 45 minutes)
3) keep 7 in Beyond, and have oldest 2 do PHFHG, extensions for the oldest, and have them independently do the Reading about History and Storytime, with you just doing the 2-5 minute follow-ups

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie