1st Grade Math LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marcee

1st Grade Math LHFHG

Post by Marcee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Do you still do the Math Exploration activities? In the TM the activities correspond to the Kindergarten math. The appendix only list the workbook pages for 1st grade math. For example in the TM you do an activity for numbers 1-6. Being in the 1st grade math, my son already knows these numbers plus more.

tjswaine

Re: 1st Grade Math LHFHG

Post by tjswaine » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:00 pm

The Math Exploration activities for Singapore 1A & 1B are in the Beyond manual. :D
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:36 pm

tjswaine wrote:The Math Exploration activities for Singapore 1A & 1B are in the Beyond manual. :D
Hmmmmmmmmmm................I guess I won't have access to them then. We are dong LHFHG and BHFHG. I wish it came as a print out or something since 1A and 1B are a Little Hearts option.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 pm

If you plan to stick with HOD, getting the Beyond manual now to use the math activities for Singapore 1A and 1B wouldn't be bad. Then you could likewise buy the Bigger manual for the activities for Singapore 2A and 2B while using the rest of Beyond. Once you get to Singapore level 3, there are no more activities written into the guides, just a schedule for the textbook and workbook pages, intending to transition the child out of using hands-on activities. I like the idea of buying the next guide up, because the activities Carrie has written for the early grades of Singapore really seem easier to me and eliminate the need for the Singapore textbooks. You just need the workbooks and you're all set!
If buying the next manual now isn't an option for you, you would just keep using the schedule in the appendix of Little Hearts for 1A and 1B, but you need the both textbooks and workbooks in that case.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:25 pm

blessedmomof4 wrote:If you plan to stick with HOD, getting the Beyond manual now to use the math activities for Singapore 1A and 1B wouldn't be bad. Then you could likewise buy the Bigger manual for the activities for Singapore 2A and 2B while using the rest of Beyond. Once you get to Singapore level 3, there are no more activities written into the guides, just a schedule for the textbook and workbook pages, intending to transition the child out of using hands-on activities. I like the idea of buying the next guide up, because the activities Carrie has written for the early grades of Singapore really seem easier to me and eliminate the need for the Singapore textbooks. You just need the workbooks and you're all set!
If buying the next manual now isn't an option for you, you would just keep using the schedule in the appendix of Little Hearts for 1A and 1B, but you need the both textbooks and workbooks in that case.
Thanks Lourdes:) We would be using Beyond next year with DS so purchasing it now may not be a bad idea:) And since we are already doing Bigger this year with DD, we would be set!

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:02 pm

That's what I did-buy Beyond to have the activities while we did LHFHG. Then in Beyond I've used Bigger for the activities. By the time you get to Singapore 3A/3B it's great because you just use the schedule in the appendix because either way you're just using the workbooks and textbooks at that point. I really have found it easy to use two guides. I thought it would be a hassle, but like everything HOD, it has worked out really well.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:04 pm

I bought the Beyond maual for the math activities. Though I would be nice to have them as a print out somewhere in the LHFHG manual. Though I understand how that would take extra space and more paper to do so.

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:31 pm

I think it would be worth it to get the Beyond guide for the hands on math.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:14 pm

I meant to post more before, but my baby swung her hand and it posted without me knowing. :lol: Yes, it's worth it to get the next guide up. The activity suggestions are great! Way better than just talking through the textbook.

solagratia824

Post by solagratia824 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I am in the same situation, and hesitant because I was already working with 2 guides and wasn't sure if I wanted to purchase three in the same year.

But after posting here, and getting advice from the ladies on the board, I ended up buying Beyond. And I am so glad I did! The hands-on activities for Math are very useful. And, I'm not sure where your ds is in reading, but the Emerging Reader Schedule and comprehension questions are in the appendix of Beyond as well... handy for whenever your child starts taking off in reading.

The first couple of weeks I was driving myself a little batty with the different teacher's manuals, but now I think we've settled into a routine. And I use those post-it tabs as well!
Camden

Homeschooling mama to...
ds 1st (Beyond)
dd preschool (LHTH)

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:37 am

I'm one that also bought the Beyond manual just for the math activities and I'm so glad I did! I found the activities really helped cement the concept in my son's little mind and they're short and simple to do. Now this year we're doing Beyond as written and I have the Bigger guide for the math activities. I don't mind doing it this way at all. :)

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 am

I bought the Beyond manual for the math activities last year -- my DS was doing Bigger, but placed in Singapore 1B for math. Totally worth it, in my opinion! DS definitely enjoyed math more with the activities, especially the ones that involved food! :lol:
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!