Excited about placement...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Excited about placement...

Post by deltagal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi all,

I was musing quite a few weeks back on possibly changing the placement of some of my children. And I did.

I kept my 13 yo in CTC with Extensions. Moved my 11 yo up into all of Preparing with Extensions. And I kept my 9 yo in Bigger, but I've been having him do the readings independently and I added the Extensions. This was such a good decision. We've been back at things since the first week of August - SLOWLY training everyone to use the guides and get their notebooks and composition books set-up. I feel like I'm already seeing a huge leap forward in my 9 yo and 11 yo's abilities. My 11 is so excited to have graduated into his own program :wink: I also decided to keep my soon to be 6 yo completely in LHFHG. Although I felt she was ready for much of the work in Beyond, I felt I needed to keep her work load as light as possible for the good of the family. And I'm really glad I did. There will be time enough to ramp up her work load in the years to come.

I'm also really excited about our schedule. The children seem to have the hang of it and are taking a great deal of initiative. If all goes well next week when we're at full throttle I'll share the grid.

My oldest was a bit lethargic about getting the school year going, but I encouraged him to simply get to work and assured him that once he got everything in motion he would enjoy it more. And he is!

Thanks HOD!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Excited about placement...

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 am

Florence,

I am amazed at you! You must be getting a bit of your energy back after the new baby! I agree that it is a good decision to keep your soon to be 6 year old in LHFHG. :D I pray your year will go well. I'm so proud of your oldest for graduating into his own program. I agree it is wonderful to see our older ones spread their wings and fly. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:45 am

Actually, God is very much in control of this. After having the baby in February and moving in June, I had to have surgery in early August. It was 2 unexpected nights in the hospital , but I'm feeling so much better and very joy-full and thankful that God has a plan... :D
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm praising the Lord with you today! :D I'm so glad you fine-tuned your placement and are reaping the rewards of some careful reflection on what's best for each our your dc. Please do share your schedule, as it will surely be helpful to many others! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:37 am

Good for you! I am hoping I'll be able to echo your post in a couple weeks. It took a lot of pondering and 2 or 3 threads to come up with our placement. RTR will stretch my oldest. Bigger seems perfect for my 8.5 yo. Like you my 7yo could probably hand Beyond, but it works better to combine her with her younger brother in LHFHG than to push her too far into Bigger or push my 5 yo (just turned 5) too hard into Beyond, etc.

Similar to yours, my oldest has also drug he feet about starting school. There are so many fun projects outside and he has a propensity to inhale books on his own, instead of slowing down to "taste" them.

And, I have a schedule, that I hope will help us...

So.... I hope to echo your positive report in a couple weeks, after everyone gets used to the routines. That is so great that you are keeping a good schedule going with a sweet baby in the house!

Blessings,
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3