Which would you do?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Which would you do?

Post by Marsha » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am

Beyond or Bigger?
I will have a 2nd, 4th, and 6th grader.
They will each have their own level of LA,Math, and Readers.
I will be adding A Living History of Our World by Queens Homeschool with notebooking pages and Apologia Zoology 1.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

inHistiming

Re: Which would you do?

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 pm

If it were me, and I was determined to combine, I think I would use Bigger.... Your 4th grader should fit right in there, your 2nd is also in the age range and you could omit things as needed if dc weren't ready or at least shorten assignments, etc., and the 6th grader should do fine with the extensions added in. Had we not already done Bigger... with my now 5th grader, I would be combining her with her 7 yo brother into Bigger....this year. Others will pop in with their suggestions soon too, I'm sure. HTH :wink:

my3sons

Re: Which would you do?

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:42 pm

You didn't give this option, so this may not work, but I'd do Beyond with the 2nd and 4th graders, and have the 6th grader do Bigger very independently. Here are a few past posts that may help:
Carrie explains how to beef up Bigger Hearts for seventh grader:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=640

Carrie explains how to up independence in Bigger Hearts:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6502&p=47428

Carrie explains how to beef up Beyond for a fourth grader:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3247&p=24196

Otherwise, I'd be inclined to do Bigger Hearts and adjust for the 2nd grader as needed. I am continuing to pray for your health, Marsha. You will know what would be best here, but sometimes it's actually way easier to separate than combine, especially if the oldest can work independently.

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie