Getting ready for Beyond!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MistyP

Getting ready for Beyond!!

Post by MistyP » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I'm trying to get organized for starting Beyond 1st & 2nd grade in a month. Mardel's is having a 20% off Education Sale next week. I was looking at getting one of these.... Edit: I have decided NOT to get the cart. Per Amazon reviews it can be very flimsy. SO now it is up to DH to find me some bookshelves he approves since he thinks all the ones I have found on Craigslist look too cheapy!
Image Here is what I got instead, 5 of these boxes in different colors and one magazine holder. See post further down.....

Image ImageHas anyone used one with HOD? Like or dislike it?? Are they fairly sturdy? We don't have much space in our Kitchen/Living Room/Dining area here. I was thinking I could use one drawer for science, Bible, etc then each of the girls could have a draw for reading and math, one for coloring stuff, another for art supplies, and one for the preschoolers..... One thing I liked it I could wheel it out of the way or even put it in the laundry room if needed. I am also really wanting to get a globe and maybe a hanging file like this one
Image I have a little space beside the frig that it would go and think it would be great for chore cards, mail, shopping list, menus, etc.

Also, does anyone have a supply list for Beyond? I don't have any paints, etc and would like to stock up at Hobby Lobby and Michaels when they are having a sale. I can go through the book and write everything down but thought I might save some time if I ask! :lol:

I have the Beyond guide since we used the Emerging Readers last year but need to order the rest of my stuff! :D
Last edited by MistyP on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Misty
Mommy to 6!

momof4girls

Re: Getting ready for Beyond!!

Post by momof4girls » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Wow! Misty, I've never used one of these items before, but they look like it would suit your purpose perfectly! This weekend is my time to start getting organized and I truly love the colored cart on wheels! Super idea! Happy organizing!
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks! Mom of 4 girls here too =) My second is Karissa. Her name is rare enough but haven't seen your DD's version before....very pretty!
Misty
Mommy to 6!

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:29 pm

I haven't used one of these for HoD (we're just about to start) but I'm a bit of an organization junkie :) I've used my fair share of wheelie trolleys and plastic drawers in my time and I have 4 boys who make very solid demands on storage, both of stuff and the way everything is treated, including the storage receptacle. If you want my honest opinion, don't be swayed by the pretty practicality of the trolley - colour plays such tricks on us girls! I would go along to the store with some of the stuff you want to put in the drawers and put them to the test. Just find out how much those drawers can take. Fill 'em up and pull the drawers in and out and in and out a dozen times. In my experience those plastic drawers don't stand up very well to heavy items, over-filling, rough handling and excessive movement. They're fine for an office of careful adults who work with lots of paper, but kids place such different demands on furniture! My boys like seeing how they themselves can fit into the storage items I provide for their stuff :x And if it had wheels... well, the sky's the limit, isn't it?

Good luck!

You might find you have a very good second-hand store around that has something a bit more solid that can revamped a bit. We had an old children's wardrobe in our garage that copped a lick of paint, got fitted with MDF shelves and is still waiting a peg-board and a few more storage knick-knacks. It does very well for storing our everyday school and craft stuff. Which reminds me... I've got to get to and clean out that cupboard!

Just my 2c worth.

Annette

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks Annette.....I haven't found anything at the thrift stores yet =( I was questioning the sturdiness of the cart. Unfortunately they didn't have one set up in the store...that's why I asked! :lol: I figured maybe I could get someone else's opinion that had tried it out!

I'll keep looking :D
Misty
Mommy to 6!

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 am

MistyP wrote:Thanks Annette.....I haven't found anything at the thrift stores yet =( I was questioning the sturdiness of the cart. Unfortunately they didn't have one set up in the store...that's why I asked! :lol: I figured maybe I could get someone else's opinion that had tried it out!

I'll keep looking :D
Have you tried garage sales?

If you're questioning the sturdiness of the cart chances are it's more likely not be sturdy. I honestly think you'll be better off in the long run with something you know will handle the job. Even if you think outside the square and do a bit of shifting around of cupboard space, existing shelving, not to mention decluttering, you might find you don't have to buy anything :D My husband's always reminding me of that whenever I mention buying storage :wink:

I hope you work it out. It makes it so much easier when things are organized!

HTH Annette

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi! :)

That is a neat storage cart, but I haven't used it, so can't offer input on it. BUT, we do use a workbox system and are starting CTC in a few weeks. We started workboxes (several plastic letter boxes on shelving) last year, and they worked great! I've also heard that they work really well with the "boxes" in the HOD planners, and I have ours all set up and ready to go for our new school year! :mrgreen:
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Heather4Him wrote:Hi! :)

That is a neat storage cart, but I haven't used it, so can't offer input on it. BUT, we do use a workbox system and are starting CTC in a few weeks. We started workboxes (several plastic letter boxes on shelving) last year, and they worked great! I've also heard that they work really well with the "boxes" in the HOD planners, and I have ours all set up and ready to go for our new school year! :mrgreen:
I like to workbox idea... since we are using one guide for 2 different grades with add-on's for the oldest and then the preschoolers; it may help us keep more put together. Do you set them up the day before or what??/
Misty
Mommy to 6!

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:39 pm

After looking at the workbox systems I definitely don't have the space for 12 boxes each! :lol: However, I am thinking I could maybe narrow it down a bit and combine most of the stuff from the left side in one box except the science and then a box for each of the girls for the right side of the day: math, reading, language. I could also use a box (or several) for our "extras": home ec, art, and Spanish that we are doing once a week.
Misty
Mommy to 6!

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 pm

MistyP wrote: Do you set them up the day before or what??/
Yes! As she does each box, she sets them aside. Then, I go through them at the end, check everything, and re-pack for the next day. The best feeling is at the end of the week packing them up and knowing we are ready to jump right back into school on Monday morning! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 am

We're also using the workbox system. :wink: We actually started it last year when we were using "another" curriculum. Since then, we have now switched gears and are going to begin HOD this August. I was initially worried that the workbox system wouldn't work with our new curriculum, but the workbox system is VERY adaptable! :D And HOD is awesome no matter how you set it up! :D

One thing I've found is that everyone has their own way of implementing this system. There are literally hundreds of ways to do it. Really, whatever works for your family. We use a plastic drawer system that we picked up pretty inexpensively. It has nine drawers in it. (If you don't think you'll need all of them, get a smaller unit or just use less drawers and keep the rest empty or for storage for your school supplies.) I just went through my son's schedule and put all the needed materials (books, pencil, notebook, paper, etc..)in that workbox drawer. Then we took the next subject/box/activity for the day and put the needed materials in the next drawer. I had made some little numbered tags that I laminated and put velcro on the back for each drawer. As he finishes each workbox he takes the tag off of the drawer and puts in on a small chart with a square (and velcro dot) for each numbered tag. After a few workboxes get done, he's earned a break or snacktime or computer time, whatever your child likes for a little break. It really seems to help them to see how much is left and how much progress they've made so far that day. It is basicly just an incentive to keep on working and motivates them to learn to use their time wisely!

At the end of each school day, I'll check all their work, that needs checking, and load up their workboxes for the next day. It takes me about 5 minutes! :wink: Then we're all set for the next day! :D

You wouldn't have to do it anything like we do, but this setup works great for my five children. Everyone has a little different take on this method and it can be adapted to work with almost any homeschool curriculum. I just thought I would share a little about how it looks in our home and maybe it could be of some help to someone!

In Christ,

Lisa

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks Lisa! I ended up buying some plastic boxes at Mardels today (Education sale 20% off!)

Here is my new plan! LOL
I bought 5 boxes and one magazine file holder, very sturdy, won't tip over. These all fit in the small space in the bottom of my china cabinet. Important in my very small space! :? (Pictures in original post)

The file folder is going to hold Beyond guide, Lesson planner, Devotional book, Music CD (most everything from the left side of the page.)
Box #1-Geography and History (will have to alt. days)
Box #2-Science and Art (will have to alt. days per guide)
Box #3-LHTH and preschool stuff
Box #4-DD #1's copybook, math, spelling, white board, reading
Box #5-DD #2's (same as DD #1)

DH said he is still going to try and find me a small bookcase that will fit between the china hutch and kitchen cabinet. But hopefully this will keep us organized from day to day......
Misty
Mommy to 6!

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Looks great! :D

Blessings as you begin your new year with great resources! :D

In Christ,

Lisa