OT: Went to the doctor...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

OT: Went to the doctor...

Post by Marsha » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm

I have had a positive test for Lyme for a year now.
I found a doctor. He is an Osteopath. He really seems to know what he is talking about.
I am going to have blood drawn tomorrow. It will take about 4 weeks to get the tests back and to formulate a treatment plan.
I am suppose to be on an Anti-Inflammatory diet and taking my Basal temperature.

He is positive I have Borrelia(positive test) and he thinks I might have Bartonella, thyroid, and possibly Chronic Strep(which was a shock because I have never had Strep). I am actually excited because I have found someone who can help.

Has anyone here tested positive for Lyme? Also, I suspect that I have probably had this since I was about 6 (I am 32 now); he thinks so too.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

psreit

Re: OT: Went to the doctor...

Post by psreit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. I have never had Lyme, but the sooner it is treated the better. I question whether you have had Lyme since age six, because, going that long untreated, would certainly have caused nerve damage by now. I have an aunt who was treated for Multiple Sclerosis for around 20 years. She progressively got worse. Finally after consulting another doctor, she was told that she had Lyme all that time. A little too late. My aunt and uncle have tame deer on their farm. She has been using a wheel chair for quite a while now. Her legs are really bad. I don't mean to sound negative, but if you have tested positive, the sooner you begin treatment the better. I understand that they treat it with antibiotics. What kind will depend on the stage it is in. I will pray that the doctor finds a treatment that takes care of it.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm

I do have nerve damage. I had Optic Neuritis and it damaged my nerve.
I was given a "probable MS" and started doing my own research and I was tested by Igenex and got a positive.
I have had headaches and leg pain for as long as I can remember.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Marsha--so sorry for all you're going through. I will pray for you!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Marsha, I didn't know to what extent it had affected you. I'm sorry you've suffered so long with all this. Praying the Lord, through His Holy Spirit, will guide the doctor(s) to give you the best care possible.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm sorry you're struggling with this, but praise God for finding a care provider who is able to help you! I've struggled (separately) with chronic fatigue syndrome and hyperthyroidism, so I know how draining it can be.

Amy Tan, in her book The Opposite of Fate, talks about how she was diagnosed with and treated for a long-lasting bout of lyme disease.
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 am

I am sorry to hear of your struggles, too. I have a good friend who has been diagnosed with Lyme and has had some successful treatment in the past years. If you PM me I will be glad to e-mail her your e-mail. I am sure she would be a big encouragement and probably helpful, too. :D
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 am

Marsha - I am praying for you! I am glad your are seeking treatment right away. May the Lord be your source of strength now, as I know health concerns can be draining not only physically but also emotionally and spiritually. I have a prayer list I've compiled for ladies on the board that I pray through every day. If you would like me to pray anything specifically for you, please let me know, and I will be sure to do so. Right now, I am praying for treatment to be successful, and for the Lord to restore your health fully. I am also praying for this to be a time where you draw close to the Lord, as in my life I know with health concerns I've either drawn closer or further from the Lord - closer is so much better. Praying!

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Julie--how wonderful that you have a prayer list for ladies on the board!!

Would that be a possible forum we could have, like a "Prayer Place" type of a message board here, so we could share prayer requests and praises? (If it's too much to add, I would totally understand.) :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 am

Heather4Him wrote:Would that be a possible forum we could have, like a "Prayer Place" type of a message board here, so we could share prayer requests and praises? (If it's too much to add, I would totally understand.) :)
Oh, that's so nice Heather! :D I know Mike and Carrie had talked about this at one point, as prayer is extremely important to them. I believe they decided to allow the occasional OT Prayer Requests instead on the main board, because it pertains directly to ladies on this board and ladies usually do follow up with letting others know how things are going at some point. I believe the choice to keep prayer requests on the main board is due to the primary focus of this board being to help and encourage each other as we use HOD in our homes. There are many other boards, church groups, etc. designed specifically with the goal of sharing prayer requests, but this board is unique in that its primary focus is to help families use HOD. I believe a secondary reason is it's just pretty difficult to monitor prayer requests on a board. I have started keeping a prayer list in my Bible, and that has been a neat way to remember to pray for my HOD ladies as well. Our family also has a prayer journal I jot requests in, and that has been a special way to remember to pray for specific people or give specific praise to the Lord as well! HTH - and thanks for that kind thought! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Sounds good, Julie! Thanks for the great idea about keeping a prayer list in your Bible! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks everyone. I will keep you updated.I go back in 5 weeks and will find out about the tests(co-infections ) We will formulate a treatment plan then.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.