I'm very excited and nervous! any thoughts?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof4girls

I'm very excited and nervous! any thoughts?

Post by momof4girls » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:39 am

Hi Ladies

I have all of our HOD materials here for the fall . I'm so excited and nervous about it (this is where my problem comes...)

I think my mind is playing tricks on me aka Satan!!! UGH! I'm worried that doing the actual "program" and being new to HS on our own, will be harder than I anticipated! I think I'm starting to doubt myself. I keep asking myself, will this really be as smooth as everyone says? Everything I've read and reviewed over is just the opposite of how I'm feeling! Are these normal feelings?? My heart is completely at piece with what we will be doing for our school, but then my mind takes over about what I need to do to get ready and how will it really work? The transition from PS to Virtual School, and now to be HS all on our own will be new for us! While I feel so blessed to have stumbled across this board and curriculum, I'm so frustrated about feeling worried!! I certainly want this year to be different than last year (a joy for learning along with happy girls and a happy mom) I'm eager to jump into this incredible curriculum right now, but my worry button will not turn off!!

Here's what I'm worried about... schedules/routine, doing 3 guides, 3 year old added to mix( keeping her happy), math (not my best subject), setting up notebooks/tools that the girls will need to be successful, (labeling everything just so etc..) how do I store it all, shelving etc... I'm a pretty organized person and believe I will get to a "place" to make this work, but right now I can't shake this feeling of being overwhelmed! We have a wonderful room in basement with dry erase boards, big desk/table that we can all be at together! Not sure where to start???

Has anyone ever felt like this when just starting off?? Thank you for letting me ramble and vent! LOL!

I will continue to pray for guidance!

Thank you all for any thoughts!
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

Alison in KY

Re: I'm very excited and nervous! any thoughts?

Post by Alison in KY » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am

Well, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably worry too :mrgreen: . I've been doing this for awhile and we went straight to homeschooling when my oldest was 5...and I still worry. All I can tell you is just pray, pray and pray some more, then jump in. You will not be able to do everything, so just do your best at what you can do. I know I used to feel guilty that I didn't spend enough time with the youngest when she was little, guilty that I didn't read enough aloud with all of them...just guilty, guilty, guilty. It is Satan, so just do your best to tune him out. Alot of your fears might be fearing the unknown, but God did not give us a spirit of fear.

One thing you could do is start off slowly and build up to full speed. And you have to be flexible. I can have the best laid plans all ready, then something will come up...kids didn't sleep well, someone is sick, etc and I tend to get so bent out of shape...which does no one well. One thing that helps me is seeing this as a job (well, which it is), so I try to get up before the kids to get ready for my job. Sometimes, when I get too relaxed and am sleeping late enjoying myself, that's when I get the most exasperated at homeschooling.

Best wishes to you, and may God bless you.

Alison

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:14 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that God has appointed YOU to be the perfect parent for these children. Yes, I said perfect! Meaning, no one else will bring to the table what you can. You are the one God wants to teach these little blessings. There are going to be worries and frustrations, but how we handle them is what really makes the difference. We can allow worries and fears to get in the way of letting God truly bless our home. My suggestion to you would be to give all of your fears and worries to the Lord. He's there for us and if you give it fully to Him, he will surely give you rest!!!! :D

I think I can speak for a lot of us ladies when I say that we've all felt like that at one point or another. As far as concerns over being ready. . . . .just one step at a time! We can only take care of one area at a time. Just start with putting all of your books in your school area. Then take the first program and make a list of what you need to get and what you need to do to prepare for it. All of the needed information is in the guides. Then, do the same for any other programs you have for your other children. You can even make up some lists of ideas you could get ready for the little ones (activities for school time). Now you have a stack of lists, right? So you just start with what's on top. Take your time and pray about the tasks that lie ahead. Allow the Lord to give you peace, and just start by doing the first thing on the list. If you don't have a lot of time, that's fine. One thing at a time! Eventually, you'll be ready for school, and your faith in what God can do, will have grown as well!! :D

Even if you're not comletely ready, it's okay. Some things that we think are a big deal, really can be worked through later without much problem. The most important task is already done. You've got the materials in hand, and you know that it's just Satan stirring up trouble. Don't let him have his way. You're a loving mom and teacher to your children and you rely on the Lord to give you strength and wisdom. He won't let you down!!! Blessings as you begin your new adventure with HOD!! :D

In Christ,
Lisa

P.s. Oh, and keep reading the boards. You'll learn so much here and there are always great ladies here who can help!

Tmisek

Post by Tmisek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Stacey!

Last year was our first year homeschooling (after pulling dd out of public school), and I was a little worried how I would do it, too. But, I also knew we were called to homeschool, so I trusted that GOD would prepare and equip us...and we had a great year! HOD made school sooooo doable, and for that I am thankful! There were some struggles, but I expected that, so we just worked through them and moved on. In fact, homeschooling was EASIER and MORE FUN than I thought it would be!

It really worked great to just start one program at a time. We started Beyond, got our routine figured out, and after a week or so I added the right side of LHFHG with ds, and worked half-speed with the littlest one in LHTH as time allowed. It did take a couple weeks to get into our groove, as I am sure it does with everyone (especially those totally new to homeschooling as I was), but we just kept moving forward.

I found that my 3 year old got used to playing by herself or with brother when I was working with dd8. I know there are a few threads on here somewhere about what to do with toddlers/preschoolers while working with the older kids. Things kind of just seemed to work themselves out.

Our "organizing" is using drawers. Each child has a drawer with their current books. The books we will use later are left in a large rubbermaid in the basement. I also have a drawer with paper and a cupboard for art supplies. We don't have a school room, but do have a certain areas where we like to work (read-alouds on the couch, math at the table, etc.)

I know you will do great! Take it from someone who just a couple years ago couldn't wait to send her kids off to school...and now is just so thankful for the opportunity to teach them, and learn with them, all the while keeping Christ at the center! HOD will be a blessing to you! Enjoy your year...
Tammy

Mommy of 3 treasures:
dd14
ds12
dd10

:) Enjoyed: LHFHG through MTMM!

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 pm

I would suggest that you take the summer to really figure out what are your goals for your dc. I don't really mean academic goals. I mean "life" goals. What things to do you want to impart to your children? Write those thoughts down as you will need to remind yourself of them on one of "those" kinds of days that we ALL experience! Don't get bogged down in trying to make every day a beautiful scene of perfection. That's a set up for failure. Think through a general schedule, organize your home and school items, and determine your goals. Realize NOW that you will have days that just didn't "work." Adjust when you need to but don't give in to dashed expectations and guilt. Start each day fresh with the Word as your guide and the Spirit your comfort. I strongly believe that with HOD you will be able to look back on a completed year of hsing and say, "That was a blessed experience."
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Homeschooling is a big responsibility and I guess I would be worried if I were not worried about it when first starting, if that makes any sense :) Here are some thoughts to help you as you think through everything, based my experience in our first year:
1. Be ready to go "non-traditional", especially in terms of scheduling. We are working with a schedule that doesn't seem "school-like", but is definitely the right schedule at this time in our HS journey.
2. Spend some time in the manuals before you start to get your thoughts organized and have a general idea of what will go on.
3. Since you don't really know until you do it, I would go 1/2 speed the first unit (or more if needed) so you can have some time to adjust as you actually do, without the time pressure.
4. Everyone has a system that works for them, but everything changed for me when I went to a plastic bin (6 drawer on wheels) system. I label the drawers for the subjects and put everything I need in the drawer the night before (including all art supplies, everything). Then when we school everything is right there and I am not constantly going to get something. I still have a couple of book holders for the guides, Bible, and books not routinely used.

Don't worry, you will get into a routine and have a wonderful year. It may take a little time and a couple of plan B's and C's. :wink:
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Stacey! I think it is normal to worry about the unknown. :D You are starting with more guides than most people do. But it definitely can be done. :D Here is what I would suggest. Decide now to give it over to God and try not to second guess His call for you. Then beyond that, get your books and materials organized over the summer but do not over organize. Just have all the supplies you need, the books organized and look at the over all flow of the program for each program. You will notice there is a comforting pattern. :wink: Then start school a little early this year and let your first two weeks be half paced. Give yourself just a little time to work out a schedule and find your groove. Here is a link that may help you for scheduling your programs. I am more of a block person so I schedule more by blocks. I find it really helpful to start out with two schedules and see which one works best, keeping a blank one near by to write down what we really do. That makes it easier to see where the time goes. Once I get used to our plan I never look at the schedule again unless there is some issue I need to address.

You are going to be fine. Just allow yourself a little grace not to have to be perfect right out of the gate. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! All of you are truly beautiful women to stop and take the time to really share from your heart and give me some guidance! I can't tell you enough how helpful your words of wisdom and encouragement mean to me!! You all "hit" on everything I'm feeling! I need to give my worry over to God and not focus on being "perfect" and not worry about having all my "ducks" in a row the very first day we start! I need to start thinking outside the "box"! (as I'm sure you would have to in order to HS in general anyway) I'm going to pull out all the HOD materials and start with one thing at a time and just be simple and not over think it as I tend to do! Phew! I'm just going to breath and let God do his work through me and continue with my head up, stay positive and most of all really enjoy having my DC home! As I so cherish this precious time with them!! I"m thinking I will get one guide going half-pace and then another one at half-pace for a while until we do get our "groove"! You gals are really amazing! I'm telling you, my brain was running and my body just couldn't keep up with it. Thank you again, you really gave me some peace of mind and that feeling is great! I'm more than ever looking forward to jumping in and learning along side my little gals! I will keep you and your families in my prayers that you will have a great school year to come!! God is good!!! Thank you!! Thank you! Thank you!!
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Yes, I felt worried at the beginning of last year. I had a lot on my plate. It was our first year homeschooling, and I had a work schedule that required us to leave the house about 2:30 p.m. every day with me not getting home until after dinner time. I also worked a bunch on Saturday--basically full-time, but with a break for lunch. The toddler was 3 months old last August. My son was 2.5. Etc. Etc.

Yes, it was a hard year. I was right to be worried. But Heart of Dakota was one thing that I could rely on to make the year easier. :) One thing that helped me was that I made the different subjects in the book into magnets. It took some time, but I photocopied the little clip-art symbols from the guide, wrote the name of the subject on it, covered it with self-stick laminate, and then stuck it onto a magnet with a sticky backing. Then you just need a magnetic place to keep the magnets. We move them down after we do each subject. The best thing about it is that we can set an order for the day and "see it" getting done as we go, but we also have the flexibility to just say, "Let's do Fine Motor Skills now!" if that is the easiest thing.
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Stacey,

You sound just like me, except I have four boys!

Just take it one day at a time and pray, pray, pray! In fact, what I love about HoD is the way each day is organised in boxes. You can do one box at a time!

All you have to do is start otherwise you will hyper-organise yourself crazy and your family will be wondering what all the fuss is about!

We haven't been homeschooling for long, just over a year now. We have our ups and downs but overall, things go pretty well. And I can tell you that the way we're doing things now is so different from the way we started out. Be prepared to grow and change and learn. Things will work out. You and your family will find a rhythm.

As far as a schedule is concerned, I find it helps to break up the day into chunks punctuated by meals. I organise myself by the clock and keep my own personal diary for the purpose. Activities for the boys are slotted into about four timeslots: morning, mid-morning, early afternoon, mid-afternoon. Short lessons are magic, so don't over-complicate what you need to do.

I cannot believe what a difference there is to our family life and schoolwork when Christ is at the centre of it all.

Make the first day, whenever you choose to start, something special. I make 'school cookies' (very yummy chocolate chip cookies) for our beginning of school year and we have a really special morning tea to celebrate.

You might find Karen Andreaola's book, A Charlotte Mason Companion something lovely to dip into. I love the spirit of that book!

All the very best to you!

Annette

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Stacey!

Welcome to HOD and homeschooling. We are new to HOD this year (but not new to homeschooling).

Everyone here has already given you great advice, but I just wanted to add one thing. NONE of us can do this homeschooling task in our own strength, but through and in HIM, we can do all things! Remember, as Christians we have the Spirit of God living in us, and because of HIM we have the strength and ability to accomplish all that HE has called us to do. We're raising these young ones for HIS glory and according to HIS purpose, and if we just let Him use us, He will help us every step of the way. Hope this helps and blesses you! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Ladies,

I just had to pop-in very late to this thread, as your responses and encouragement to one another through Christ's love has me teary-eyed at the keyboard. :D Each of you are such a blessing for us to have as part of the HOD board, and I wanted to thank-you from the bottom of my heart for being the arms of Jesus to one another. I can see Him in each of you. :D

Blessings,
Carrie