Emerging Readers or DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

Emerging Readers or DITHOR

Post by daybreaking » Thu May 20, 2010 5:08 pm

I could use some seasoned advice from those who have been through the Emerging Readers set and are using DITHOR. I currently am using the ERS with DS, who is just finishing up 1st grade. DS is doing very well with the ERS and absolutely loves reading the books. I am starting to second guess myself, however, because DS recently took the CAT-E and received a perfect score and when I did some on-line reading assessments, he placed at a 4.8 equivalency on one and on another, placed 3rd grade for "independent" level and 4th grade for "instructional" level. Now I'm wondering if I should be using DITHOR, instead, or if I should go ahead and finish out the ERS. At first, I liked the idea of ERS, because it is so relaxing, just snuggling with DS and having him read and then answer questions, plus I liked the gentle introduction into narration. I also wasn't sure DS was ready for the work involved with DITHOR, because of his current work load. (I'm a little nervous to admit this, but I have been having DS do R&S Reading and Phonics, as well. Yes, it's probably an overkill, but since I'm relatively new to HOD, I've been hesitant to drop our current programs, which, though they are very time consuming, have been very effective and well-liked by DS.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Busymomma1

Re: Emerging Readers or DITHOR

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi,
I used the ERS with my dd when she was 6. It was gentle and easy for her at the time, but I thought it would be good for her to do. Then, when she was 7, we did a year of "just reading", with her reading aloud to me at times, and also providing some oral narrations and vocab work. She was in 1st grade, and I didn't want to jump into analysis just yet. I just wanted to her to read and have fun doing it! Then, when she turned 8, we jumped into DITHOR. Even though she can read anything - probably 4th -6th grade, at least - we did Level 2/3 workbook, with her reading books anywhere from the 2/3 and 4/5 book packs. I purposely did this, b/c even though our dc can read at a high level, it doesn't mean they can analyze and thoroughly understand the topics and vocabulary (ie: they can decode it, but can they understand more mature themes, vocabulary, etc.) So... it ended up being a good fit. Analyzing the literature is a totally different ballgame, and I'm glad we did it this way. It allowed for "maturing" in reading. And reading is STILL one of her favorite things to do! We will move into the Level 4/5 workbook this fall (she'll be 9), and I think she's well prepared for it.

So, I don't know if I'm correct in this or not, but I think you would be fine continuing the ERS and not jumping too quickly to advance into DITHOR. Plus, the books on the ERS are just good books you may not want to miss! :-) If your son is having a positive learning experience and is loving it, keep doing what you are doing! He's obviously thriving with it.Then, when you finish the ERS, you can just start DITHOR.

Be blessed!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri May 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Thank you for your helpful reply. I found your insight very valuable. :)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 23, 2010 9:36 pm

daybreaking,

I would likely have your child finish out the Emerging Reader's as well, just to make sure that you don't jump too quickly into the deeper analysis that is found within DITHR. I think that once you finish out this year of Rod and Staff reading I wouldn't go on any further with it, as you'll be moving into DITHR and have plenty of reading instruction through that. :D

My kiddos read well and early and quite a bit above grade level, but I enjoyed the pace of the Emerging Reader Set, the short lessons, the quick discussions, and the snuggling on the couch. :D I completely agree with Busymomma1. My third little guy is reading well beyond the Emerging Reader's Set right now, yet we're continuing on through the set and really enjoying ourselves!

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

Both of my sons read very young and very well early on, and we still did all of the ERS with them. :D I looked at that as their reading comprehension instruction and an excellent precursor to DITHOR. While dc who are early readers can often read almost anything you ask them to, their analytical abilities are just not equal to their oral reading abilities due to their immature age level. In fact, I attributed my dc scoring so high on their reading standardized testing to their doing the ERS! So, I would finish out the ERS in preparation for the more rigorous skills in DITHOR. Plus, we don't always have to choose the "challenging" level of instruction for our dc. I can read very well on a college level, but I sure don't enjoy doing it all of the time :shock: - KWIM? Sometimes, I even enjoy the chapter books my dc are reading. :wink: So enjoy this time with your sweetie - harder times will come soon enough. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 am

I had to laugh, Julie! I, too, don't always enjoy reading on the college level! ha! In fact, I recently read a book about Lafayette that was probably geared to 5th-6th graders or so, and I just loved it! :-) I've also been "trying" to read "Darwin's Black Box", which has lots of technical microbiology in it... and I doubt I understand the half of it! :? So... point well made!

Plus, you've said something I've come to realize... we don't have to have everything our kids do be a challenge. If everything in their day challenged them, they'd be wiped out! Plus, reading something or doing math... or whatever... that is easier leads to a feeling of success and an "I can do this!" attitude, I think. Then, hopefully, they'll be confident when they go to tackle a harder task.

Be blessed,
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Mon May 24, 2010 10:11 am

Thank you all so much!! This is just the kind of insight I wanted and needed. I actually feel relieved to continue with the ERS and your responses helped me to see how the extra time will definitely benefit my son. Carrie, I find it so amazing that you, as the author of the curriculum, take your personal time to answer our questions. Both times I've shared a concern - once with this thread and another time via e-mail - you quickly offered your insight and guided my decisions. Thank you for all of your hard work and your personal concern. I am so blessed to have discovered HOD. :D

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Oh! I'm so glad that we were able to give you the help you needed! :D

Blessings,
Carrie