Wow, I am so impressed!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Cindie2dds

Wow, I am so impressed!

Post by Cindie2dds » Fri May 21, 2010 3:38 pm

I've been pouring over my guide book for Beyond! I had no idea it is so complete. I was not expecting detailed spelling lists, book lists for each genre, poetry, rhymes, an emerging reader's schedule with comprehension, narration, application, etc., questions; all of this is in the back! On the surface this seems like a sweet, Christ-centered program, which it is. I had planned to use this to supplement another program for the fall. However, I never expected to find this rigor, flexibility and completeness for my rising 1st grader. I'm going to familiarize myself even more so I can start off with a bang in August, but I have never felt so comfortable with an all-in-one. I truly feel like I can sit back and enjoy it. :D
Last edited by Cindie2dds on Fri May 21, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wife of 17 years to Gary, mom to girls:
Starting our journey with HOD in August!
Juliette (Jan/04) BLHFHG
Jordan (Jul/06) LHTH

RecumbentHeart

Re: Wow, I am so impressed!

Post by RecumbentHeart » Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm

This is really encouraging to read! Just from all I've been able to glean online I have settled on HoD being where we start next year (I'm having a baby at the start of the school year so we're postponing until the new year). I haven't been able to get the book we'll be starting with in my hands yet (LHTH) - I can't wait to do so. :mrgreen:
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

Cindie2dds

Post by Cindie2dds » Fri May 21, 2010 5:10 pm

It's a lot more full than I expected. I am not sure where people get that HOD is a "lite" program; it's not. In fact, if I use all the books I have on my shelf that Carrie recommends, it would be easy to stretch this out for a year and a half. I think I might even try to do Beyond and Bigger for 1st - 3rd grades; doing a year and a half for each one. I am not sure. I am just a little stunned right now because I honestly just chose HoD originally to supplement literature and some fun, hands-on, that's it. I was definitely misinformed about what these programs are and can be. :)
Wife of 17 years to Gary, mom to girls:
Starting our journey with HOD in August!
Juliette (Jan/04) BLHFHG
Jordan (Jul/06) LHTH

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm

I agree! I was floored when I received my first HOD guide. There was so much more to it than I realized. I think the folks who think it's "light" just haven't placed their child in the proper guide or maybe they aren't completely "sold out" to the Charlotte Mason-flavor of the program.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 pm

I agree. :) I was so impressed the first time I looked through a HOD guide. So complete! And God honoring. We have now used Little Hearts, Bigger, Preparing, and are 1/2 way through CTC, and the guides just keep getting better. :D

Allison

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

So very encouraging to read! Will be ordering Beyond and Little hands to heaven for our family and just can't WAIT!! Thank you for sharing!

Alecia
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

Benelli

Post by Benelli » Fri May 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Beyond is what my 2nd graders are using this year, and it is very full and rich! It has been a wonderfully complete year for us, and we are using the left side at half speed! It has been such a joy to teach. I've used Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, and Preparing so far, and I think it just doesn't get any better than HOD. I'm a "researcher", and I've looked and looked. I go to the curriculum fair every year - and all I do is LOOK. I've never been tempted to buy! (HOD hasn't been to VA yet :) ) There's just nothing else that compares! Hope you enjoy your year with Beyond!
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Cindie2dss,

I am so glad that you have your guide in hand and that it is beyond your expectations! :D Your post blessed my heart today as we're busily writing our latest guide. All glory and honor goes to our heavenly Father who makes all things possible! :D We pray that you will have a blessed year with HOD! :D

Blessings,
Carrie