Charlotte Mason

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stephaniesherie

Charlotte Mason

Post by stephaniesherie » Tue May 18, 2010 7:51 am

Is HOD based on Charlotte Mason?

Allison TX

Re: Charlotte Mason

Post by Allison TX » Tue May 18, 2010 8:02 am

http://www.heartofdakota.com/educational-philosophy.php

Yes. It is based on the Charlotte Mason philosophy. The link above does a wonderful job of explaining the HOD educational philosophy. Hope this helps. :)

Allison

stephaniesherie

Post by stephaniesherie » Tue May 18, 2010 8:37 am

Awesome, thanks.
It doesn't really come out and say Charlotte Mason, but I love the philosophy. I'm still learning about it all.
I really LOVE the focus on Christ and music. I'm a music teacher so anything involving music is right up my alley!

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Tue May 18, 2010 11:00 am

google (Simply Charlotte Mason ) it gives a great wealth of information about her approach, the reasoning behind and many great resources! Thanks for asking this ? as I had a little information about CM style learning but the website gives information in great detail!! Have a great day!! Stacey
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

This post should be of help in answering your question: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2453

Blessings,
Carrie

momof4girls

Post by momof4girls » Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 pm

oops! I just realized that when I chimed in earlier, it wasn't even pertaining to what you were asking! My apologies! Stacey
Stacey
Married to my sweet DH (Kelly) for 15 yrs!
Blessed with 4 beautiful girls!
Klaryssa 11 (CTC & DITHOR fall 2010)
Savannah 8 (BHFHG & DITHOR fall 2010)
Victoria 5 (TRL and LHFHG fall 2010)
Isabella 3 (trying to keep up!)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Hello from one CM fan to another! :D The fact that HOD is based on CM is a big part of why I love it. :wink: These visions I have of CM doing school that I so longed to recreate in my own home like... savoring living books, having lively dialogue about them, learning things from authors who were passionate about just one thing their entire lives, copying important memorable passages, having a day steeped in learning that is Christ-centered, doing hands-on learning that is not twaddle, having my children share through narrations what they know and hold dear to their hearts personally about what we're learning - ahhhhh... all of those CM visions I so desired are now a daily part of my homeschooling by using HOD. :D I love it!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue May 18, 2010 9:32 pm

The formation of a child's character and his/her habits is an overlooked topic in Classical education, as the pursuit of wisdom, knowledge, and education is supreme. :D

This quote by Carrie on the post that she mentioned (HOD-CM and/or Classical) sums it all up. I truly believe that the character of our youth (or lack of it) is the reason society is in the state it is. I've told many people that the Christian character of my kids is more important to me than how far they go academically. Sure, I want them to succeed in the things that they do. But, it is like what was said by a special speaker we had in church Sunday. Our 'people skills' is more important than how much we know.

I never really did a CM education with my kids, but HOD is exciting me even more, now that I know that the philosophy behind it is exactly what I have desired for my dc all along. I encourage all of you moms with young children also to take this to heart when using HOD.

I am thankful for the Christian character my older 3 dc have, but I know they would have benefited more with an approach like Carrie has used. I'm grateful that I have an opportunity to implement this with my youngest dd :D God bless you, Carrie :D
Last edited by psreit on Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

stephaniesherie

Post by stephaniesherie » Wed May 19, 2010 6:39 am

THank you so much for the link with Carrie's explanation! THAT WAS FANTASTIC!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 19, 2010 11:17 am

Ladies,

Thanks for your responses! :D They blessed my heart today as I'm busily writing! :D

Blessings,
Carrie