Vocabulary- which do you prefer- notebook or box?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Vocabulary- which do you prefer- notebook or box?

Post by sharonb » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Before I buy the cards and box for vocabulary, I figured I'd think this over some more. Which do you prefer? A notebook with pages for each letter, or a box with cards? The main pro I can see with the box is that the cards can be completely alphabetized. With the notebook the words can be written on the right page, but won't be in alphabetical order within the letter. But the box is more bulky (and more likely to be bothered by the baby since it's obviously more fun than a notebook :P ; we'd have to make sure to keep them out of reach).

Opinions?

Great2kids

Re: Vocabulary- which do you prefer- notebook or box?

Post by Great2kids » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:32 pm

I used the notebook when we did BHFHG and like you mentioned it's under the right "letter" but not in alphabetical order. This year with PHFHG I chose the index cards because I felt my ds would benefit from more practice alphabetizing and it has worked great. I would say if he doesn't need the extra alphabetizing skills to just go with the notebook so it's easier to pull out and keep together.
2015-2016
We are looking forward to our eighth year with HOD!

DS14 WH (Completed BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM & WG)
DD10 RTR (Completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG & CTC)

brenm37

Post by brenm37 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:14 pm

We use a notebook in Preparing this year, not alphabetized either, we just add to it weekly. I like the idea of the index cards and alphabetizing though!
Brenda

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:31 pm

We started HOD with Preparing this year and we are using a 8 x 10 1/2 photo album with pages that you can just insert 4x6 photos. We simply put the cards in the pages and we have ABC tabs that I cut down to fit the album. We put the words in behind the appropriate letter tab but we don't alphabetize within the tabs. I wanted them to be able to look up their words easily when they needed to and they really like them, too.
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:44 pm

We do index cards in an index card binder with little tab dividers. I like that you can add to it but if you drop them they do not spill. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3good&perfectgifts

Post by my3good&perfectgifts » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Basesloaded, great idea! We use a notebook, but I have been thinking of changing to the box. I like your idea even better. It's the best of both worlds. Thanks.
James 1:17

Beth,
wife to Doug 20 years
mom to 4 boys,
Ds 17,14,9,3
Have enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Rev to Rev, World Geography
Starting MTMM, BLHFHG in fall 2016

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 pm

We use index cards and boxes for our vocabulary work in Bigger. I have my boys write the word, the part of speech and the definition on the lined side. Then on the blank side they draw a picture and write a sentence using that word under the picture. My younger son doesn't have to add the sentence for his picture. I also picked up a set of A-Z cards to use in the box to organize the cards. That way they're getting alphabetizing practice and within each letter they have to alphabetize, too!

Heather

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 am

We use a 3 ring binder. It allows us to put the words in abc order. I made a notebook page for them... place for unit, vocab word, defintion, sentence and picture. When they are finished they put it in order. The 3 ring binder is were we keep our science pages too. We have tabs for science, science experiments, history activities, art. etc This works great for us.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Hmmmm....we use a notebook and did for Bigger as well. I had not thought much about the alphabetical order, just in passing, but it would definitely be a big help for my dd and my second son when he gets to it. We won't change now, but maybe with the next guide we'll have to consider the index cards and file box. Thanks for the ideas, ladies! :wink:

Benelli

Post by Benelli » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:01 pm

We use two hole punched index cards in an index card binder with alphabet tabs. I found them at Office Depot, I think. We love them because the cards can just be inserted into the right spot.
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Hello All,

We use a bound notebook. Half of it is for some other aspect of Language Arts and the other is for the vocabulary words. What we did about the ABC thing was to go through and make an A page, B page, C page, etc. so that they put all the "C" vocab words on the "C" pages. It's kind of like how a dictionary is set up.

I sure do like to hear how others are doing it. I've gotten some great ideas for some fun ways to organize it. Thanks for sharing everyone!

In His love,
RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:43 pm

We like the box, mainly because it is a defined area. :lol: Also, because it is easy to alphabetize, but either the notebook or the box work well. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 pm

I like all the variations of how to do this! I really like being able to completely alphabetize, so we'll either do a box or a small index card binder. I'm leaning towards the binder so we don't have to worry about all the cards getting spilled! Does Wal-Mart sell index card binders? Or do I need to go to an Office Depot (or similar) store? We live in a very rural area so Wal-Mart is the only option locally. I can plan on going to Office Depot next time we travel to visit family though.

stellar

Post by stellar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm

I punch a hole in the upper left hand corner and put them on a ring.