Math Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
butterflymom

Math Question

Post by butterflymom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:54 am

HI everyone,
We are using BHFHG in the fall. I got all of my books and I am very excited. The only thing I did not order is the Singapore math. This past year we were using Abeka math. I like it but Im wondering if Singapore would be a better program. I love the hands on activities for math in the BHFHG guide. I would love to hear some thoughts on this.
Blessings
Celeste
Ryan 9 BHFHG, Abeka math,motocross, RC car racing
Allison 13 Local co-op classes, Saxon math, volunteer at local Science Center & Library, Piano

WigglesMom

Re: Math Question

Post by WigglesMom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:53 am

I was nervous about trying Singapore math especially when my kids tested in at only 2a and 2b for 3rd and 4th grade respectively. Since ds6 was starting out with Singapore math in K, I had an idea of the way it is taught. I really thought it gave a good grasp of math without having to memorize and drill. So we have been using it for 6 weeks. I like it. It does take a little getting used to not trying to do it the way I was taught and a lot of getting used to for dd8 not to say but we did it this way in school. DD7 who was horrible at timed drills and math facts is doing great with math now!! DD8 who never had any problems with math anyway is loving it now that she realizes it is faster and easier to think this way. The first few transition weeks were always met with but I know how to do it this way until she realized Singapore was fast and easy and she understood the why of math instead of just going through the motions.
I did have R&S 3 on hand just in case we wouldn 't have like Singapore. DD8 knew that it was always an options and had agreed to give Singapore a go. She had said the first few weeks that she liked R&S better, but just yesterday when I asked her how Singapore was going and what she wanted to do next Singapore or R&S she said she liked Singapore better now and it was going fast. Math doesn't take us as long and I think she is really learning it and understanding it more. I think it helped that she felt she was trying it out and she had a say in whether she liked it for math and what we were going to do next. I didn't need to have that option for dd7 b/c she wasn't doing well in math before.
I did talk to dd8 about what she liked about R&S and what she likes about Singapore and she really felt part of the decision to continue with Singapore. Keeping her in the decision and having the option to opt out if it wasn't working for her was the best thing I could have done. It gave her some sense of having control in what she was learning. We did agree to a set time period to try Singapore (6 weeks) to give it a fair trial.
Something likethat might work for your child.
Val

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:22 pm

WigglesMom wrote: I did talk to dd8 about what she liked about R&S and what she likes about Singapore
So what was her answer? Don't leave us hanging like that. :shock: :lol:
Was it mainly just the time involved?
Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:48 pm

Celeste,

This past year was my son's 1st year with HOD. We did Bigger also, and switched to Singapore math. He came from using Saxon (in a small Christian school first, then at home). We felt that math was taking too much of our school day and getting it out of balance. We have LOVED Singapore. It is challenging him more to think mathematically, it's fun :D , and we complete each day's lesson in a timely manner. It has been a total breath of fresh air!! :D

You'll want to check out the placement test on the Singapore site if you decide to switch. We had completed Saxon 2, and my son placed in 2A. I don't think the levels are necessarily grade levels...and a 3rd grader doing 2A and 2B won't finish the year "behind" a bit. :wink:

Here is a post where Carrie shares why she chose Singapore math to include in the guides. It showed me that Singapore was exactly what I was looking for in a math program! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

butterflymom

Post by butterflymom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 am

Thank you ladies for your great replies. I think we will go with the Singapore and see how it goes. :)
Blessings
Celeste
:D
Ryan 9 BHFHG, Abeka math,motocross, RC car racing
Allison 13 Local co-op classes, Saxon math, volunteer at local Science Center & Library, Piano

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm late to the thread, but I just wanted to share this link because we have also loved Singapore math!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3152&p=23291

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie