Scripture memory?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mrs. Lilac

Scripture memory?

Post by Mrs. Lilac » Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Just wondering if memorizing Bible verses is a part of any of the programs.....?
Wife (2000)
DD "Opal" (5)..finishing K, making crafts
DS "Teddy" (3)..battling autism, loves everything Maisy
DS "River" (3)..puppies, lots of giggles

A blog about great books for kids.....http://lilaclibrary.wordpress.com

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Scripture memory?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri May 15, 2009 1:04 pm

It's part of all of them! And it's wonderfully thoughtful and ties in to other parts of the lesson (in the lessons we've done so far anyway). As the kids get older, the verses get longer, until they are remembering whole books (I think CTC they remember Phil. 2???)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 16, 2009 8:11 am

Yes - every single program has Scripture memory work as a part of it! It is even linked to the history theme. I personally like to read the key idea out loud after we do the memory work. Many times dc are singing their Bible verses with a CD, discussing them, writing them, sharing them with others (my younger ds LOVES to choose to call my dh at work to share his verse with him), and always applying them to their own lives. Each year more is memorized, and I can see my ds is already extremely good at memorizing because of it. He also remembers WHERE the verses he memorizes are from in the Bible - this is harder for me to remember; I'm always typing in the verses in Bible Gateway's search engine to find where they are found. :oops: This HOD method of focusing on certain groupings of verses and larger amounts as they grow older has really made my ds know not only Bible verses but also the Scripture references. :D It's a great part of HOD!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat May 16, 2009 8:21 am

It's part of the program but not REQUIRED.

Honestly, (please dont bash me for this) this year (Bigger) we didn't do it. However, now that I have some experience, and know more, we do plan on doing it with all my children for the next year.

I had it in my head that since my son has problems with memorization, it would be too hard. And at the time, I think it's true. But, now I've realized we can review, do the activities and if it "sticks" then great. If not, I dont have to stress about it. Make sense??? He's still learning about the Bible and developing a relationship with Christ, which is really the important part to me.