Arlington TX Homeschool Fair-- Who went and met Carrie???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulheart

Arlington TX Homeschool Fair-- Who went and met Carrie???

Post by joyfulheart » Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Did anyone else go?

It was my first - ever Homeschool fiar, I had SOOOO MUCH FUN!

Carrie, we loved your booth, loved meeting you, and thanks for your help!

3musketeers

Re: Arlington TX Homeschool Fair-- Who went and met Carrie???

Post by 3musketeers » Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Joyfulheart,
I'm so glad you had a good time at your first H.S. bookfair. I look forward to the Arlington one every year.

I was at the HOD booth several times during the past two days. I have never seen two ladies work so hard! Carrie and Julie, I hope you had a chance to catch up on some rest today (and get a good lunch :lol: ). What a blessing!!! I am praising the Lord for these faithful sisters in Christ. I was so glad to see so many families as excited about HOD as I am!!!

Happy Mom's day,
3musketeers
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Matt'sMom

Post by Matt'sMom » Sun May 10, 2009 7:45 pm

I was there on Friday. It was wonderful to meet Carrie and Julie. They were so sweet, patient and kind. I know there must be no words to discribe how tired they are. There was constant activity at their booth. I pray they made many new converts to HOD. I know God is going to bless them for their faithfullness to follow his calling and help all of us.

I only got to see one other person from the board but I keep reading name tags to see if I recognized anyones name. I came with three friends and we had a great time riding home talking about all we had seen and purchesed. I had fun but I spent more money than I thought I would :shock: Anybody else in that same boat?

Durea

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sun May 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Yep, I spent wayyy too much money. Then came home, got online and spent MORE money! (evil giggle)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 10, 2009 8:00 pm

We met so many wonderful ladies in Arlington! :D Thank you for your kind and encouraging words here. We always pray for the Lord to choose who He wants to come to our HOD booth, and for Him to give us the words as we speak to fellow homeschool moms. We also pray for God to bless each of these moms' homeschool year, and for Him to be a part of their dc's homeschool days in a powerful way - you ladies are evidence that this prayer has been answered. Fellow believers, homeschooling their dc to know the Lord - a true answer to prayer and well worth the time spent at the book fair. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

patekake

Post by patekake » Sun May 10, 2009 8:36 pm

I, too, enjoyed the Arlington Homeschool Fair. Carrie was really busy in helping people at their booth and I was unable to meet her. However, I had the privilege of meeting and talking with Julie. She is such a warm bubbly Christian. I was able to purchase CTC for next year and have been enjoying reading throught the books. I am really looking forward to beginning my first year with HOD in August. I must say that my husband who was with me was able to see why I am excited about discovering HOD!

Patti
Wife of 27 years to Gene
25 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), working on Master's
23 year old dd (hs, ps, cs), Dental Assistant
13 year old dd, homeschooled, CTC (2009) and beginning RTR Aug, 2010

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 pm

I was there too! I took 5 of my friends and I we spent our money very well at the HOD booth.
The highlight, of course, is talking to Carrie and Julie...they worked so hard! I hope they will consider volunteers next year so they can at least get a long bathroom break and lunch!
We love you ladies. You and your families are in our prayers.
Dorla

3babiesmommy

Post by 3babiesmommy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:46 pm

My friend and I were there too and got a chance to meet Carrie and get some great advice about which programs to choose. Everyone at the booth was so sweet and we had a great time at the convention :D

jrjones1990

Post by jrjones1990 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:12 pm

I was there too!

We are finishing our first year of homeschooling (kinder and PreK) and I have not used HOD yet, but I have always been drawn to it. I actually own Bigger b/c I found it for a great price on another board - but I knew we were at least a year or two away from that level. And just recently, someone GIFTED me the entire set of Little Hearts (lucky me!!!) which would be perfect for my DS for next year, but after a brief review, seemed a bit too easy for my DD. So I went to the fair with an open mind and heart - I wanted to give everything a "fair shot" (MFW, Sonlight, and an ecclectic mix), but felt pulled to the HOD booth the whole time. However, Carrie and Julie were REALLY busy each time I went by on Friday so I never made it by that day.

Anyway, I didn't make any purchases on Friday (my pledge to myself to look at everything I could Fri and then sleep on it and buy Sat). I found myself thinking about HOD all night!! But when I got up Saturday morning, I was still not SURE what I would purchase. Then, as we were heading to the car from our hotel room, who did I find eating the continental breakfast at the hotel we were at??? Carrie and Julie!! Our hotel was very small, and I only saw 2 other homeschooling families there - so I was sure that was a sign! LOL

I went straight to HOD on Saturday and after asking them a few questions, I bought the entire set of Beyond without one single hesitation or regret!!! It was as if the clouds parted and I came home knowing what I needed to sell and what my plan for next year would be! And I enjoyed meeting both Carrie and Julie - such sweet spirits!

Yay HOD! I'm looking forward to starting! (and we may just begin "next year" a few months early!)

Ronda

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Oh, Ladies! What a joy it was to visit with those of you we were privileged to meet at the convention. It is such fun to see faces to go with the names that we know and love on the board. :D

We are home and catching up on everything (including getting stiches taken out of my son's ear and having one of son's diagnosed with strept throat). Blessedly, we got into the doctor right away with my little guy when I got home yesterday, and he's already on the mend. :wink:

Julie and I enjoyed the time spent in Arlington so much and thrive on the chance to meet Godly women such as yourselves. You are each doing such an important work for the Lord in your children's lives. We feel blessed to be able to share in your homeschool journeys. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue May 12, 2009 5:42 pm

OH NO I missed it !!! I knew it was soon whaaaaa.... that is what I get for being a hermit. Glad I didn't go tho I would have spent way to much $! On art supplies..
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Tue May 12, 2009 11:07 pm

I have never been to a homeschool convention. I have always felt like I could better research material online. Could someone share with me the benefits of actually going to one?

Carrie, I am in WA state. Our convention is next month. Will you have anyone representing HOD there?

Thanks!

Terri
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed May 13, 2009 5:48 am

Terri,
The book fair is great only after you have done your research!
However if you like shoppping, touching the books, and finding stuff you have not seen online, then the book fair is the place to be.
If you hate crowds and are undecided about how to spend your money, stay home! it will be overwhelming!! :)
If Carrie and Julie are going to be in your state, you HAVE TO GO! meeting them and talking to them is priceless!
That is really the #1 reason I go...well, I like shopping too...
Dorla

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 13, 2009 1:39 pm

We won't be in Washington this year, but it was a convention we were down to in our final choosing. Maybe someday! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Ladies,
I went to the Arlington fair on Friday. I got to meet Julie and Carrie. Carrie, I want to thank you for all the help that you gave me. You are so insightful I really felt encouraged after talking with you We are so privledged to have your input as we are training our children. The book fair was lots of fun and I'm glad that I went.

Diane
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History