One more question (R&S English)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sheila in OK

One more question (R&S English)

Post by Sheila in OK » Mon May 11, 2009 9:25 am

I want to thank everyone who took the time here to walk me the through the process of finding the correct placement for my dc next year. You ladies are awesome!!! Just to let you know, I placed my order over the weekend for Bigger Hearts and DITHOR Levels 2/3 and 4/5. I can't wait to get it!! It feels good to have a plan in place for next year.

I plan on putting my ds (3rd grade next year) in R&S English 2. I'm still debating about where to place dd. She just turned 11 and will 'technically' be 6th grade next year. She is finishing up Easy Grammar 5 this year which covers basic parts of speech/punctuation but no diagramming. Should I put her in English 4 or 5? She is pretty strong in LA but does get overwhelmed easily. If I go with 5 will diagramming be covered sufficiently, or is the student expected to already have the basics down? I've looked at the sample pages of both levels and am still undecided. I do plan on adding in some writing for her also, probably Igniting Your Writing or something like that.

TIA! :D

Sheila
09/10 School year:
DD 11 Bigger w/Extensions
DS 8 Bigger as written

Susan

Re: One more question (R&S English)

Post by Susan » Mon May 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Sheila,
Hi! I'm an Okie also!! I live in Tulsa. I have been using HOD for 2 years now and love it. I've been trying to find other HOD users in Oklahoma. I don't think there are many. Welcome to the board!!
Susan

Sheila in OK

Post by Sheila in OK » Mon May 11, 2009 5:50 pm

HI Susan! Nice to 'meet' you. :) We live in the Tulsa area too. How old are your kids, and which program are you using this year? You can PM me if you want.

Sheila
09/10 School year:
DS 8 Bigger as written

Susan

Post by Susan » Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Sheila,
I tried to PM but it didn't work. I'll try again later. Not so good at the computer.
Susan

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 am

I dont know aobut the older daughter, but we just finished Rod and Staff 2 and LOVED IT! It was perfect for my son!

Sheila in OK

Post by Sheila in OK » Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks joyfulheart! How old is your son who was using the English 2?

Sheila
09/10 School year:
DS 8 Bigger as written

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue May 12, 2009 2:28 pm

we are doing 2 with our 8yo. He could easily do 3, but he has some gaps that are being filled in nicely by usely 2. They start diagramming short sentences in 3 so I am not sure how much they are expected to know in 5 or 6.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com