Singapore's website (placement testing) and a question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulheart

Singapore's website (placement testing) and a question

Post by joyfulheart » Sun May 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Has anyone else been frustrated with singapores placement testing?

So far, it's been inaccurate with 3 out of 3 kids. grrrrrrrrrrr

Also, am I the only person who feels singapore just assumes you will memorize multiplication before doing their sheets? It goes (in 2A and 2B) from teaching you how to multiply. 8 x 3 or 8 + 8 + 8... (so far, so good). Then, suddenly, they're doing hard multiplication, and even division. BAM! But they don't have the facts memorized yet?? I havent noticed anyting in the Bigger manual telling us to, maybe I missed it?? (it's possible. I do that kind of thing from time to time)

Is it just assumed that the kids are doing a separate multiplication program for that? (we are but is that assumed???)

Maybe I'm missing something????

Matt'sMom

Re: Singapore's website (placement testing) and a question

Post by Matt'sMom » Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Wow. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with placement. I was planning on having my ds take the placemwnt test tommorrow. Has any one else had a problem getting a correct placement? I'll be waiting to hear about the multiplication thing too because that's what we are ready to start.

Durea

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 10, 2009 8:42 pm

joyfulheart,

It was wonderful to meet you at the convention this past weekend. Julie and I are sitting in the hotel lobby after a day of driving to get caught up with all of you sweet ladies on the board! :D

I'll just chime in to your thread with a few things that we've discovered through our years of using Singapore (and from visiting with many moms like you).

If you do Singapore math from the beginning, we've found that it actually has enough practice through the lessons to allow kiddos to have most of their facts down by the time you get to the two digit multiplication problems. We've found that our kiddos learn most of the facts through the practice problems and only each had a few facts left that we needed to really practice through flashcard drill. :D

We've also found that the 'A' book in each series is very challenging right from the beginning. So, while most U.S. based programs spend the first 9 weeks reviewing, Singapore jumps right in with new, difficult concepts right from the get-go in the 'A' book. However, after you get past the initial section, which is always very difficult (and can require slowing down), the next section is a breath of fresh air. Then, you'll notice a steady ebb and flow in Singapore as you go through each book, with difficult sections being followed by much less difficult sections. :wink:

We've found Singapore's placement tests to be really accurate. It's actually something that Singapore is well-known by the companies that carry Singapore (including us)! There are several factors that will make a big difference in how accurate the placement tests are for each family. One factor is whether the parent helps their kiddos at all by reading or explaining parts of the placement test or by helping their kiddos talk through the problems to find the correct answer. While as parents we love to do that, it doesn't aid in seeing what the child can actualy do on his/her own. This can really change the test results. Another factor is whether or not the parents just look over the test to assume or guess where their kiddos would place without actually formally giving their kiddos the test. The last factor we've come across that hinders correct placement is whether the parent looks at the Singapore scoring chart and moves a child up because he/she was "close" to the passing the score. With Singapore, it's always better to err on the side of being too easy than being too hard. :wink:

Hopefully, this will help your transition to Singapore go more smoothly. We'd always be glad to help with other questions. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Ok... that makes ALOT of sense!

I handed them the paper and said "do your best!" LOL I thought that's what I'm supposed to do. OOPS

And, yes-- they are coming into singapore, not from the beginning-- which also explains alot.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it all to me.

Now, get off that computer and go soak those sore feet! You deserve it!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D