Abeka language or Rod and Staff?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofone

Abeka language or Rod and Staff?

Post by momofone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:46 am

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone here uses the Abeka Language with Bigger?
We have been using Abeka lang. for 1st and 2nd and it has gone well. Although, I'm not opposed to switching if the R&S works better for the Bigger guide.
I would just like a comparison of the two and try to decide if I need to switch for next year with Bigger???
Does the English affect the whole guide in any way?
Thanks in advance!

Tina :D

Carly

Re: Abeka language or Rod and Staff?

Post by Carly » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:02 am

You can use your own english and disregard the schedule that's in place in the guides.
It won't affect a thing!
Carly

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:33 am

I have used both and prefer the explanations in Rod and Staff. However, if you really like the Abeka language, you can stick with it and still easily use HOD. The third grade book does throw a lot out there at the end of the year, so if you choose Abeka, and then struggle at the end of the book, don't worry. It will get covered in the fourth grade book more thoroughly.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:21 pm

8arrows,
Thanks for your response. I have used Abeka language (my son will be finished with Language 3 this Friday) but am considering switching to R & S next year. He has been happy with the Abeka (has happy as grammar can be). I know for my younger son I am switching. He would be in Abeka 2, which I didn't love. My older son is the one I am not sure about. I hate to switch him and it be a struggle ( not liking it). I have really been encouraged by the feedback from everyone here about R & S though. My other issue is which level to start older son in. He understands the concepts he learned this year but my understanding is I would need to go down a level. He should be starting level 4 Abeka so he would need level 3 R & S. Thanks for the feedback, it is PRICELESS! :D

Michelle
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

momofone

Post by momofone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input. I will have several decisions to make before next year and currently as well.
I'm going to take it slow and keep praying for His guidance!
It's great to know that everything is so flexible!

Tina :D

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm

You can see samples and TOC at www.rodandstaffbooks.com to help with placement! You'll love R&S ! It's been awesome!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Michelle, With an Abeka background, your oldest would not necessarily need to go down a level. It has been several years since I used the Abeka (It was with my older two.). I remember that at that time Abeka did not do diagramming in 3rd. However, Rod and Staff will review that in fourth. I would check the placement sheet another mom posted. You will get a great overview of where to place your oldest. I have used those samples a lot in placement for my crew!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm

I used Abeka's 2nd grade language with my son. We switched to using R&S 2 this year, and we both really like it much better!! :D The expanations are simple and straight forward, and he's retaining what he's learning. I felt like Abeka's book was much more scattered...and I don't think Grant remembered much of anything from it. It was really feeling like busywork to me by the end of the year.

If Abeka's working for you though, and you like it, it won't mess up the plans at all. You're free to use whatever you want.

Michelle, just so you know, HOD reccommends that your child finish R&S 6 by the time they're finished with 8th grade. (Because of the more advanced scope and sequence of R&S, your child will be ready for high school level grammar at that point.) So, if your child hasn't done diagramming and you thought R&S 3 is where you should start, you really wouldn't have to feel behind. My 4th grader will be doing R&S 3 next year, and I feel like we're right on track. :wink:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH