Calling all HOD Texans.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faith0428

Calling all HOD Texans.....

Post by faith0428 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering how many Texans are using HOD, where in TX are you from, and what HOD level(s) are you using? Curious minds want to know. :lol:
~ April Faith ~
http://www.desiremyheart.blogspot.com
Wife to Andy since 3/98
Mom to:
Savannah Hope 12 (11/01) and Amaris Love 10 (6/03) doing Res2Ref
Jadon Andrew 8 (1/06) and Bethany Joy 6 (4/07) doing BLHFHG

dale1088

Re: Calling all HOD Texans.....

Post by dale1088 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi April,

I'm in Cedar Park (suburb of Austin). :D We just got started this January when I pulled by dd from 3rd grade ps. We're using Bigger and DITHOR. I went Singapore 2A&B and R&S 2 (which is a little easy for her). We are also learning Spanish. My son is 4 1/2 and still not ready to sit still for school and since I wanted a chance to really focus on getting dd going with homeschooling, I am just working with him on letter/number recognition, bible stories, and playtime.

I already have LHTH which I plan to implement for ds in Fall for his Pre-K year. He'll be 5 then, but because he was 11 weeks premature, I am giving him some extra time to mature! :wink:

I am getting ready to order Preparing for dd although we won't finish completely with Bigger until the 1st 1/2 of Sept. I already own or have access to the science add-on books, so I only need to get the Economy set and more books from the basic and deluxe packages. I am going to wait to order Singapore 3A to see if math gets better for her (tears and drama every day with math).

We LOVE HoD! I am sooooooo pleased that God led me to it and I was saved the agony of trying different curriculums. I was just asking a local friend if she ever planned to attend the big convention in Arlington in May and we were both like "why?" When you are so happy with what you are using (she's using amblesideonline), why go look at different stuff - other than to hear some speakers I suppose! My only reason would be to meet Carrie!

So where are you? Florence? Where's that?
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

faith0428

Post by faith0428 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:09 pm

I am so pleased with HOD as well, and doesn't it give you such a feeling of peace! It is definitely an answer to my prayers. I've considered going to convention too, but mainly because I am a complete book lover. I haven't gone though because even though I am lovig HOD, I would probably see all kinds of things that look neat and then I would be stressing if I should try something else. :oops: I think I might go one year to see the speakers though.

Congratulations on your courage to homeschool. I imagine it can be a little intimidating when you haven't started from the beginning. I was homeschooled some as a child, so that helped me to not be too fearful of it. And since I'm starting at the beginning (although my oldest did go to private school last year for Kindergarten) I think that makes it easier too. Personally, I am TERRIFIED of public schools. And I absolutely love homeschooling, so it is working out very well for us.

I hope things get better for you with math. I struggled with what math curriculum to use because math is an area that I really didn't want to mess up. And every curriculum has so many mixed reviews! I went ahead and just dove in head first and am using everything Carrie recommends. Singapore is going well for us so far and we'll continue with it. We've also used BJU and I like it too. I've even considered doing both because my kids love math so much - at least at this age. :D

Florence is north of Austin. We are actually straight up HWY 183 towards Lampasas. Probably about 30 - 40 minutes from CP, depending on what part of CP you live. It was nice to meet you. Maybe we can meet in person one day. :)
~ April Faith ~
Wife to Andy since 3/98
Mom to:

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Hello!
I am not a Texan but have lived here for the last 20+ years!
We are south of the DFW area and half way through BEYOND with my 6 1/2 year old son and loving every moment of it!
Dorla

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:53 pm

April, I'm not a native to this area, so I was clueless to where Florence is. Do you have a support group where you are? PM me if you would like to know more about our group locally. It's a super sweet bunch of new friends for me and we are very casual, mostly park days on Friday and some field trips. We have a great Easter party coming up that if it's not too far you might want to consider it. Probably it's too far. I know the Georgetown Homeschool Group is very active as well (we crashed on them and saw the Austin Ballet version of the Nutcracker in Dec) but I haven't joined as they require dues and so forth.

Yeah, hs'ing was intimidating. I was one of those like "Oh, I could never do that" and honestly thought it was a little weird and radical. Well, fast forward 3 1/2 years in public school and BAM! God tells us what to do and waits for us to do it. We are seeing the fruits already, not so much in the academics, but in the daily incorporation of God into everything we do/think about. Praise God, HUH!?!?! That never happened when she was up at 6:30, gone by 7:30 and at the influence of someone else for 7.5 hours (not to mention exhausted and burnt out by the end of the day!) Then there is my precious boy. Born prematurely at 29 weeks, weighing only 2.3 lbs. He has NEVER (aside from church or the occasional babysitter) been in any kind of childcare, much less school. Not that we favor him...but...well. He is responsible for shifting our priorities to me working and making big money to the way it should be with me home and DH working. I praise God for him and his circumstances so much for bringing His Will into clear focus.

Math is just...well...math. I hate it too, and that probably comes across although I try so hard to be positive. I have done exhaustive searches about possible alternative curriculums and have decided to go with Carrie and Julie's advice to stick with one thing for at least a year. There is nothing inherently wrong with Singapore, I just don't know if it's working with her because EVERYTHING is a struggle. But maybe every Math I try would be that way. I did get a workbook as some extra practice and we will work slowly to make sure it all sinks in. Sometimes you gotta just "COWBOY UP!" and get it done.

Hope you hear from more Texans soon. I know of Christy who came to a park day and laid out all of her HoD stuff for me that completely sold me on this material, and another relative of a friend, Lori, who lives in Pflugerville I think but I've never met. Hopefully they will chime on in!

Blessings on a nice nite!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

Amey

Post by Amey » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi April! :D

Native Texan here, but we are now living in Mexico. I grew up in the DFW area and then lived in East Texas for 9 years (Lindale/Tyler area) before we relocated to Mexico last year. We are loving HOD as well, my first grader is doing Beyond and will be doing Bigger when we finish. My soon to be (very active) 5 year old will be doing either LHTH with math and Phonics added on or LHFHG for K in the fall, depending on what he is ready for. :D
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

faith0428

Post by faith0428 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks Dorla ,Amy, and Amey.

Amy- I'll probably PM you soon. I haven't joined any groups yet, although am seriously considering for next year.

Amey - Wow, what an awesome opportunity to be a missionary in Mexico. That must be so amazing. I briefly looked at your website (will look more when I have more time) and you have such a beautiful family. Congratulations on #4. Do you know if you are having a boy or girl?

Thanks, Ladies, for all your replies. It's fun getting to know you all a little more.
~ April Faith ~
Wife to Andy since 3/98
Mom to:

Amey

Post by Amey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:50 pm

No, no idea what we're having this time! We'll find out in June when baby comes! :D
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:42 pm

We live in Fort Worth and my 6 year old daughter is currently finishing up LHFHG and then we will be starting Beyond around June.

Shannon C

Post by Shannon C » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi! We are at Ft. Hood. We just started LHFHG and Beyond just a few weeks ago. I have a 6 1/2 year old dd and 5 year old son. Sounds like Florence might not be far from here?

Blessings,
Shannon C

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm

We're in West Texas. I think there are a lot of us from Texas, but then it's a huge state so that could be why! :lol:
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Currently using Bigger, soon to begin Preparing (and I can't wait!)

faith0428

Post by faith0428 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is enjoying HOD so much that they plan on continuing to use it. That makes me excited to move on to the next level! :D
~ April Faith ~
Wife to Andy since 3/98
Mom to:

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi ladies.
I live about 15 minutes north of Fort Worth in Saginaw. I am doing Preparing this year with my three ds and I would love to meet any of you who live in this area.

Diane
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

Carly

Post by Carly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:30 am

Fellow Texan here. Are any of you ladies going to the convention in May in Arlington?
We're planning on going. It would be neat to see other HOD folks there!
Carly