Combine/Separate Verdict is in!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

Combine/Separate Verdict is in!

Post by Patience » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:06 am

Well, with our homeschool curriculum fair coming up, I have been really trying to lock in on a decision for next year. I've been going around in circles in my mind about whether to combine using BIGGER or separate the two kids into PREPARING & BEYOND/LITTLE HEARTS COMBO. I was going nowhere fast with this decision on my own, so I brought in my great decision making husband. We hashed out the different scenerios together and he let me talk myself silly. Clearly there are great reasons to do both options and also, it is clear that there is no wrong decision. But in the end, we decided to go with the decision that I felt would be easiest for me to execute well, and that is to combine in BIGGER, making some adjustments to the way I run things, to give them a bit more independence and ownership where possible. Because it is so much like what we are already doing this year, it allows me to have some continuity with school, and having us on the same plan helps me because there is less to think about. As I looked at the books online last night, I got really excited about the material in BIGGER. I will be adding a few days of Little Hands to Heaven too. Just thought I'd let you know!
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

yayadaisy

Re: Combine/Separate Verdict is in!

Post by yayadaisy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:29 pm

That sounds like a great plan. I ended up putting my two kids together also for Beyond. You can always slow down or speed up for one or another. Add or take away if needed. HOD is so nice it works in just so many ways! Good luck!

Sheila

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Glag you got it figured out! It brings peace of mind.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Carly

Post by Carly » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:47 pm

What a blessing to have the input from your husband! It's priceless and
you'll feel better knowing the decision was a joint venture. Hubby and I have
poured over books and materials and talked in the wee hours about stuff.
I'm so thankful that he will take the time to help make tough choices
with me. We're not in this alone!
Congrats on your choice and may God bless your schooling!
Carly

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Patience,

I know that you're going to love Bigger! :D I have really enjoyed Bigger this year with my oldest. (And we've still got until the end of May...and would be so sad to see it go if we didn't have so much more to look forward to.) I'm sure that Grant will always remember this year though, as his 1st really "fun" year of school. :wink:

I think my husband is glad that I'm not making any school decisions this year. ( :D Thank you HOD! :D ) He was also VERY willing to listen to me go on and on about this and that. :roll: But, I know I got that glazed over look from him more than once. :shock:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Patience

Post by Patience » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Oh, yes...I know the glazed look very well (understandably so, the way I can go on) I've had to learn to serve my husband better by saying, "Darling...would you mind if we had a discussion about homeschooling sometime in the next week or so?" This helps him so much! LOL! This is why we all need girlfriends!
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Patience,

I'm so glad you've come to a decision. It helps so much to have your hubby's input too. My poor husband puts up with TOO MUCH curriculum talk, especially when we're previewing books for a new guide! :D Sometimes he says, "Can't you talk to your sisters about this?" (only when he's been patient with me long enough)! :lol:

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Patience wrote: But in the end, we decided to go with the decision that I felt would be easiest for me to execute well, and that is to combine in BIGGER, making some adjustments to the way I run things, to give them a bit more independence and ownership where possible.
Oh Patience, I think this sounds like a GREAT decision! Congratulations :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/