Help me make up my mind...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mskogen

Help me make up my mind...

Post by mskogen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:21 am

I have been homeschooling for 6 years. I found HOD a few years ago but I haven't used it yet. One of my best friends uses it and loves it. I want to use HOD so here lies the problem... I can't figure out how and if it is the right fit. My oldest ds 8, going into 3rd grade, second ds is 7, going into 2nd grade, next ds is a 4 year old and finally dd is a 2 year old. We use Abeka for phonics, reading, grammar, and my oldest does the history. For math we use math u see and then history we read books (around what oldest is studying), science we are using apologia with added books. They prefer notebooking over lapbooking. We like intense science. My oldest has been driving most of our choices until last year when I tried to make some changes from Abeka to accomadate second ds, He wasn't ready for Abeka. He is successfully doing Abeka now though. I do like to combine them as much as possible. Oldest is working a year and half above his grade and second is on level. I know this is long but I am really making myself crazy here. I love picking out curriuculm, too. I will take any help u ladies have to offer, thanks....
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

MamaMary

Re: Help me make up my mind...

Post by MamaMary » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Mskogen, (((Waving)))

Here is a big question....,

I know there are many veterans out there that I have talked to who are hesitant to make the change to HOD because what they are using for their math and language arts is working. So my question is this? Would you want to switch over to HODS suggestions or do you want to stay with your math/language arts and use HOD for Science, History, Bible, Projects, Music, Read a loud?

I have tried both ways and for us we need to keep using what works for us in language arts and math and we're using HOD for the other subjects. I absolutely LOVE HOD. If your not worrying about combining for the language and math portions it's much easier to combine. You could use the same program for your two oldest and another for the younger.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 pm

That is a great question...one I haven't completely decided on yet either. I could do either. I tried to switch my oldest out of abeka grammar and he did NOT like it. We tried easy grammar and FLL's. I have considered rod and staff in the past so I could do that. I already have DITHOR (I really like it) but just haven't used it yet. As for math I think oldest ds would be ok with Singapore just not sure of the second ds. He is a very hands on learner.
Thanks for your response and help...Have a blessed day!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 11 years old, RTR
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:28 pm

Not sure if this helps you or not but I know that for the earlier math schedules in Singapore, Carrie adds plenty of hands on activities to really cement the math concepts in Singapore. I believe she does this through the bigger guide. Once you get to Preparing and the history cycle- it is more of a straightforward math workbook only approach. But I know Little Hearts through Bigger does have activities that might engage your hands on son so long as you use Singapore. :-)

Are you concerned that HOD might not be science intensive enough? I think that is what I got from your post. I am personally just starting out homeschooling and beginning with HOD too but from what i have read from other posts, the science is just right. If you like a lot more science I suppose you could add more to your studies or get the extension package for your eldest to read. One of the nice things about HOD is that it doesn't take all day to teach which frees up more time for anything else you want to study. I am sure ladies more qualified than I can help you with this.

Welcome!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm

mskogen wrote:I have been homeschooling for 6 years. I found HOD a few years ago but I haven't used it yet. One of my best friends uses it and loves it. I want to use HOD so here lies the problem... I can't figure out how and if it is the right fit. My oldest ds 8, going into 3rd grade, second ds is 7, going into 2nd grade, next ds is a 4 year old and finally dd is a 2 year old. We use Abeka for phonics, reading, grammar, and my oldest does the history. For math we use math u see and then history we read books (around what oldest is studying), science we are using apologia with added books. They prefer notebooking over lapbooking. We like intense science. My oldest has been driving most of our choices until last year when I tried to make some changes from Abeka to accomadate second ds, He wasn't ready for Abeka. He is successfully doing Abeka now though. I do like to combine them as much as possible. Oldest is working a year and half above his grade and second is on level. I know this is long but I am really making myself crazy here. I love picking out curriuculm, too. I will take any help u ladies have to offer, thanks....
Welcome to the HOD Board! Everyone is great about helping with placement. Here at HOD we believe that correct placement is key, and worth chatting it over, so keep posting away until we've nailed it together. Looking solely at ages, your 7 yo and 8 you could be combined in either Beyond or Bigger. Your 4 yo (and 2 yo if you wanted) could be combined in LHTH, though you could easily just do the 4 yo. I'd love for you to take a look at the placement chart (especially the reading/writing/math), and share a bit about your 7 yo and 8 yo with that in mind. Since the amount of writing varies between Beyond and Bigger, I'd especially love to hear how much your dc are writing (i.e. can copy a few sentences, writing a short paragraph, etc.), and also if they are ready for cursive yet. Also, can they sit and listen to chapter books with few pictures? Have they done any narrating? I so agree with Mary - whether you choose to do the LA and math in HOD is totally up to you, so either way, that will work. Since the writing and reading skills run throughout the assignments though (notebooking in science and history, etc.), it's just helpful to know where they are skillwise in those areas anyway. So here's a link to the placement chart:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Welcome to the board!

In reading your post you may want to do the placement test for your older dc for Singapore as well.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

May God guide you as you search for the best program for your children.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

stellar

Post by stellar » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello :-)

I love hod too. I have used Little Hands, Beyond and Bigger. I have 5 children 8 and under. I use different math and language arts than what is scheduled. I believe Carrie's choices are excellent but we already had programs that were working for us. It is absolutely no problem to substitute. You can add more if you so desire because you will have time due to the layout of the lessons.

Kari

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks Kari for your insight
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 11 years old, RTR

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:33 am

I have no experience with combining and I'm new to HOD. But I just wanted to share one observation I have?

Part of the beauty of HOD is the fact that your child can be working at a higher level in math and grammar, yet sill be combined into one program with a brother or sister of a slightly different level. Not years and years difference, but within a grade or two. Because the history, science, poetry, and Bible are based on using amazing literature selections, they have flex. This is working out in my home even though I don't need to combine anymore. My son is on a higher math and grammar level than Preparing and using different materials than HOD recoomends. Not a problem. His actual physical writing, cursive ability, spelling level, reading level, and need to have an overview of world history click with Preparing. And best of all, the material in Preparing so far is touching his heart and soul. I can see it already. (we need a weeping for joy smiley icon here!)

I bet you could combine successfully!
~ Jennifer
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/JennyMaine

Catherine, 14, Where Brook and River Meet
Samuel, 12, Preparing Hearts

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:09 am

Julie somehow I missed answering your questions. Sorry I know it will help if I share more about my dc. My oldest ds is just finishing Abeka 3rd grade for Grammar, History, and Health. He is in Abeka 4 for reading. Almost done with MUS Gamma. He can write small paragraphs and in cursive (much nicer than his print). We use Spelling Power. We do narration for history, science and bible. We have not been very consistent with dictation :oops: My ds 7 years old is finishing Abeka 1st grade for grammar, phonics, spelling and reading. He is finishing Alpha in MUS. He does not like to write, the physical act. But I have him dictate sentences to me (which he does a very nice job) and sometimes he has to copy them. He is capable of copying the sentences just doesn't like it. I haven't really done any dictation with him as far as sentences go. I have done words. We are getting ready to start cursive. They love for me to read to them and the books usually do not have pictures. I have been reading to them for history and science for two years, which we follow up with narrartion or notebooking. When I look at the placement chart Bigger seems best for the 8 year old. The 7 year old may be stretched a wee bit but I think he would be ok.
I think I covered everything. Let me know if I missed anything....Thanks again
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 11 years old, RTR

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:59 am

mskogen,

Thanks for taking the time to give us more details about your sweet kiddos! That really helps us advise you better with placement options. :D

I agree with the ladies that since your kiddos are so close in age it is a good idea to try combining them within a program if at all possible. I do think that it sounds like Bigger is the best overall placement for both kiddos for the left side of the plans each day (which would be the history side) and for the science and the storytime boxes on the right side of the daily plans. :D

For your 8 year old, you would either need to continue with the spelling/grammar/reading from ABeka, or could take a look at our recommendations in any area in which you're not pleased with your current plan. Reading may be one area that you'd eventually like to look into doing differently by using our literature program Drawn into the Heart of Reading. It uses real books and covers all of the literary elements that are currently being covered with the ABeka reading. As far as the rest of the language arts, from what it's sounding like to me right now, if you did make a switch to our language arts, you may need the right side of the Preparing Hearts guide for Rod and Staff English 3 schedule and the upped dictation passages.

For your 7 year old, you could also continue with ABeka for language arts, or if you prefer you could use the spelling included within Bigger Hearts, doing List 2 in our Appendix and use the Rod and Staff English 2 scheduled in Bigger. You could also use the Emerging Reader's Set scheduled in the Appendix of Bigger Hearts, along with finishing up your ABeka phonics if you choose to do so. The Emerging Reader's Set is a 14-book set of real books scheduled with bite-sized readings for the child each day and 3 follow-up questions or a narration to do. :D

It sounds like you'll need to plan on modifying the writing in Bigger Hearts for your 7 year old, requiring less written work and more done orally. As long as you're covering your 7 year old with the correct level of the 3R's that child should be fine doing what he can in the rest of Bigger Hearts. Your 8 year old would do all of the assignments as written. :D

If you have other questions, you'll find that the ladies on the board are wonderful about helping!They truly glorify the Lord with their heart to serve others! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks Carrie for your suggestions. I did the emergent reader program with my 8 year old last year when he was in 1st grade. For some reason he did not want to do the Abeka readers that year. It was blessing to do the emergent reader program b/c it showed him he could read chapter books. Now I can't get him to stop. We school year round so my plan is to do some Abeka readers and DITHOR, b/c ds (8 year old) now likes doing the Abeka readers..As far as grammar goes I am going to have to decide about staying with Abeka or switching to R&S. Pray, Pray, Pray :!: My ds (7 year old) is going to start with R&S 2 for grammar. I did not like Abeka grade 2 grammar. (hence the reason I tried others this year before my ds (8 year old) asked Please can I do Abeka grammar :D ) I am planning to use for ds 7 year old Abeka readers and the emergent reader program. I have the books and liked it when older ds did it.
I will defintely modify the writing for my ds 7 year old. He will be thankful :D I will probably do the extension package for my ds 8 year old too...Thanks again
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 11 years old, RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 pm

mskogen - Well, I've come back, and you've got it all figured out - hooray for you!!! :D I like your plan. I think that doing Bigger Hearts, with the customizing you have come up with, will be a very nice fit for your 2 dc. We did Bigger Hearts for 2nd. grade with my oldest ds, and after about 4-6 weeks of units he had grown into it nicely and had settled into a good rhythm with it. It is my prayer that you and your dc will enjoy Bigger Hearts as much as we did last year! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie