Finished LHFHG

If you have used "Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
moedertje

Finished LHFHG

Post by moedertje » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49 pm

We completed LHFHG in September 2008 and we had a blast learning this year. I enjoyed the history lessons beginning with Creation and I loved "History for Little Pilgrims" and being that I am from a foreign land it was great to read how "The Star Spangled Banner" came about. It gave me chills!
We had a great time with the science experiments and the one that stood out most was the steam and vapor, my children still talk about it.
I love using the household articles for science and art.
Of course the Rhymes in motions were such a wonderful addition to the program and we still do many of them. The kids and even the baby was so excited to participate. We incorporated a little worship time and bible reading as well.
When I first saw the rod and staff books I was skeptical, but quickly I noticed how my ds of 5 enjoyed it and picked up on it and always wanted to do another page!
I could personally do without the Thornton Burgess stories, but the kids enjoyed them very much and since we have foxes around our home they are constantly looking for "Reddy Fox" and they named all the areas after the ones in the books. Like the "Lone Little Path", The "Laughing Brook" etc.
Carrie did a great job in teaching me how to ask questions after reading stories and I must say she did great reminding us to omit certain words in the stories or certain facets.

My ds of 5 is reading very well and I am so excited to start BLHFHG after our little break this November. I have decided to do another year of phonics and start the emergent reader program the year after. We have kept up with most of Carries great math activities, but we use the Math-U-See textbooks. , we only had a short detour to MUS, but returned to Singapore!!

All in all I am planning to use it again in 2 years with my ds of 3, perhaps tweak it by using some other read a louds, we'll see.
Last edited by moedertje on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Finished LHFHG

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Hurrah! You're finished! I'm so glad you got a chance to use and enjoy LHFHG! We're enjoying using it for the second time right now, doing it with a third son! :D

Thanks for taking time to share! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Dear Moedertje,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

You deserve a huge pat on the back. Can you treat yourself to a Dairy Queen Blizzard ???

Thank you so much for sharing your LHFHG experience. I really enjoyed it.

We are only on Unit 6 so we have a long way to go, but your post made me so excited to keep on keepin on. We had to take a break due to travel and then we all got sick and then I had a very minor surgery and the next thing I know, nearly three weeks has passed. We had a great rhythm going until then, so we have got to get it back.... Aaaahh!

Anyway, thanks.

Lori
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on finishing LHFHG!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:21 am

moedertje wrote:Carrie did a great job in teaching me how to ask questions after reading stories and I must say she did great reminding us to omit certain words in the stories or certain facets.
I'm looking ahead at our next program and after reading this post, I'm wondering what she meant by the above quote in regards to the Burgess books. Especially "reminding us to omit certain words in the stories."

What does this mean?

Thanks.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:00 am

Julie,

A couple of times, we give you a head's up to skip the word "stupid" when referring to another character's behavior in the Thornton Burgess stories. This is not something that comes up often and does not reflect the overall higher quality of writing that the stories usually utilize.

Also, in the history section, if there is anything that may be on the slightly graphic side, we will note it and say you may wish to omit it or rephrase it. We err very much on the side of caution, keeping the impressionable ages of the students in mind!

Blessings,
Carrie

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi Carrie, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm glad you make that distinction for us in the guide book. That is one word I don't want my little ones to use carelessly. Also appreciate the heads up for graphic detail. Always wise to preview that kind of material. Very thoughtful.

Merry Christmas, Blessings Returned, Julie
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!