Singapore question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mansmom

Singapore question

Post by mansmom » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:22 am

So we are almost total HOD converts :lol: ...but I'm still a hold out on math...we use Horizons and I love it...that said...I'm being pulled to try Singapore sort of "on the side"....I am enticed by the mental math side of it...so here's my questions for those of you that use it...do I HAVE to have the textbooks...we will use Singapore as a supplement right now...can i get buy with just the workbooks??

Any thoughts are welcome!!
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

Kathleen

Re: Singapore question

Post by Kathleen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:36 pm

We're new to using Singapore this year and are really enjoying it. For us, we were switching because the math we were using was taking too much time during our day. Up through level 2B, HOD reccommends using just the workbooks along with the hands-on activities in the guides. Then starting in level 3A, Carrie has it scheduled to use the workbook and the textbook.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

3ringcircus

Post by 3ringcircus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 pm

We use the Horizons math also, but just the workbooks, not the teacher's manual. We also use Singapore math, but just the textbook. I like the way Singapore teaches the concepts and my dd doesn't need a lot of review using the textbook since she has plenty of practice in her Horizons workbook. The singapore textbooks have some practice and review. I would encourage you to check them out. Oh, I used to work out an elaborate schedule integrating different programs, but now we just grab and go.

Kathy
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

Mandy in TN

Post by Mandy in TN » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:33 am

mansmom wrote:So we are almost total HOD converts :lol: ...but I'm still a hold out on math...we use Horizons and I love it...that said...I'm being pulled to try Singapore sort of "on the side"....I am enticed by the mental math side of it...so here's my questions for those of you that use it...do I HAVE to have the textbooks...we will use Singapore as a supplement right now...can i get buy with just the workbooks??

Any thoughts are welcome!!
If I were going to use Singapore as a supplement primarily for mental math, I would just purchase the textbooks and play with Singapore and my child mostly in a visual/ oral fashion. I say this because the concepts are introduced in the textbook.

Even if you just wanted a little Singapore, I would suggest sticking with their concrete>pictorial>abstract methodology in order to explore the mental math aspect that is enticing you. So, for example, you could use Carrie's concrete activity, then look at the picture introduction to the concept in the textbook, and then discuss the few problems that are in the textbook. This would be a light exploration of/ introduction to Singapore without being overwhelming. In this scenario, you would look at Singapore as a supplement and Horizons as your main text.

If you jump in trying to do the HOD math activities and all the Singapore workbook pages and all of Horizons, your child will essentially be doing two math programs. This isn't necessarily bad. Many children love math and thrive with more than one program. However, at first you still may want to ramp up to two programs instead of diving in immediately with more written work.

JMHO-
Mandy

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Thanks ladies for all the great ideas...and for not thinking I had completely lost my mind!! I can't wait to give it a try!!
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....