Do You Use Any Singapore Supplements?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Do You Use Any Singapore Supplements?

Post by mrsrandolph » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:54 pm

I was wondering if any of you use or have used any of the Singapre Math supplemental books (words problems or test books) for 1st graders.

Thanks!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Leslie in TN

Re: Do You Use Any Singapore Supplements?

Post by Leslie in TN » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:09 am

Hi Shannon!

Let me preface by saying that you do not NEED to use any of the supplemental books for Singapore.. Carrie has done a magnificent job of scheduling the workbooks in consistent, bite-sized portions. :)

However, our family is on the "mathy" side, so what we do is..

Beginning in Level 2, we add in the Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice books, but at either a full- or half-level behind. For example, my son in 2A would begin the CWP1 book (1 pg daily Mon-Thurs) and IP1B book (2 pg daily Fri-Sun -- sometimes they do it all at once, since they really like these!). This has never been overwhelming and has provided built-in review of previous concepts. We are currently using an Extra Practice book for the first time.. my dd has needed a quick review of Level 3 before she moves on to 4A in the middle of this year.

If you decided you wanted to use only one supplemental book, I would choose the Challenging Word Problems, but hold off on beginning it until your dc begins 2A. At a page per day, you can easily incorporate it and finish within the year.

Just my .02! 8)
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:42 am

Leslie,

Thanks for the idea's about when to use the CWP and IP. I still have the CWP 1 that I bought from you waiting to use :lol:

Just to make sure I understand you. My son is doing 1A pretty quickly. I think he really only tested into 1A because he wasn't familiar with the way Singapore presented topics. He had been doing BJU math. Anyway do you recommend that I wait until he begins 2A to start the CWP 1 that I have? I might also look into the IP books too. So far we have been doing both BJU and Singapore but I really want to stick with one math and I am pretty sure it's Singapore I want.

Thanks,
Paige in TN
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Mandy in TN

Post by Mandy in TN » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:39 am

I did not use anything with Singapore PM1. With PM1 we just used dice, cards, dominoes, etc.

With PM2 ds used the Intensive Practice book. It definitely moves the child beyond the workbook.

HTH-
Mandy

Leslie in TN

Post by Leslie in TN » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Paige! I was so happy to "see" you when you first arrived at these boards.. it's funny how many of us have tried similar things and have ended up here!
anointedhsmom wrote:Anyway do you recommend that I wait until he begins 2A to start the CWP 1 that I have?
I hesitate to make a blanket recommendation on when to start CWP1; I just know that from everything I've read, most dc's have the most success when it is used slightly behind the level of workbook they are in. Some of my other friends are using it a half-level behind, which is another option (in other words, start CWP1 when you begin 1B). The bottom line is that the CWP books get very challenging once you reach even Level 3, so I personally see no reason to rush.

Also, the BEST reason for using CWP (in my humble opinion) is to get very comfortable with using the bar diagrams to help solve problems. I always have my kiddos do the example questions at the beginning of each topic on a whiteboard with me so that they at least know how to use the diagrams to help solve the questions. When they do the exercises, the diagrams are not needed often, but at least they are familiar with them when required. These have been invaluable to my dd that is now doing 4A.. she is tackling harder word questions than I had in 7th/8th grades.

My girls were never very fond of math (one used to cry over it daily), but with using only Singapore as I described in my previous post, they now both say it's their favorite subject. :D
Leslie in TN

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:50 pm

As far as what Carrie has for the kids to do in LHFHG, do those activities work with both Earlybird as well as Math 1A/1B? Are Carrie's activities correlated with what they are going in Earlybird or 1A/1B, or are those activities just a bonus?

Also, do any of the suppplements help you provide a cyclical or spiral review for Singapore?
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Leslie in TN

Post by Leslie in TN » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:12 pm

To my understanding, the activities go along with the assigned portions of Earlybird. The activites that go with 1A/1B are in the Beyond manual.

As to your second question, that's why we decided to use the supplemental books the way we do. Many dcs do not need as much review as mine do, though! I find that using the supp. books behind the current level provide built-in review; that way, they are not TOO challenging, but the kiddos still have to think since the problems are presented differently than in the workbooks.
Leslie in TN

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Leslie,

I was born in Jefferson City, TN, went to college there, and was raised in Greeneville,TN. My dad coached football in Dayton, and my brother is a Dr. there. :lol:

Go Tennessee!

Now I am a GA girl : )

So, can you tell me which supplements are appropriate for my 1st grader doing LHFHG and starting Singapore 1A/1B? Also, where is a good place to purchase supplements?

Also, is it possible to get a print off of activities for 1A/1B since I am using LHFHG and don't have access to those activities in Beyond?
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 am

If you want the activities, a lot of people will go ahead and buy the Beyond manual and use it just for the math activities. That's what I'm planning to do in a few weeks since my dd just finished the math we were doing (we're using LHFHG as well). I plan to use Beyond next so I just see it as a bonus-I won't have to buy it when we get to it since I'll already have it for math! :lol: As for buying the other books, I think you can get them directly from Singapore Math or you can get them, I believe, from Rainbow Resource.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG