What does "Masterly Inactivity" look like in your home?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

Re: What does "Masterly Inactivity" look like in your home?

Post by mamas4bugs » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:50 pm

water2wine wrote: -Hot wheels are big even for the girls they name them things like Emma Sue and they have car families like most kids do with dolls
Oh my gosh! I can so see my toddler doing this in a few years! She already has to be everywhere her brothers are and prefers Transformers to dolls. :D

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:52 pm

Oh my girls love the cars. They even stole the cars from the life game to use them as babies for their hotwheels. :lol: We only have one boy so they are all about what he is about.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Well, I realized that I needed to cut back on the computer time. I was only allowing each child to play for 30 minutes, but with three of them playing it ended up being 1 and a half hours. During that time, they were either playing or waiting their turn, and did not really start doing anything else.

This week, I decided one person plays per day. Wow! What a difference! They have been building forts and playing together in the school room. The are much less focused on getting to their turn on the computer, and it has freed them up to use their imaginations. My house has been more of a wreck, but that's the price you pay for getting your kids to engage in "masterly activity".

The funny thing is, my reason for cutting back on the computer time mainly was for my ds7 who has attention issues. I am really trying to limit his time on the computer and tv, but I wanted to do it in a way that didn't seem like I was punishing him. And, now I have an added blessing of seeing my kids have more free time (just knowing today was not their day on the computer freed them up to "GO PLAY") to really play.

Thanks for all of you who have posted. I, too, was afraid I was not preparing something for them to do during their free time. Silly Me! But, being a former school teacher, being prepared was what it was all about. I know what you're going through, Julie. :-) I am learning that preparation is part of it, but not everything. And everybody needs a little unscheduled time in their day.

In His Love,
RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:26 pm

ncmomof5 wrote:Well, I realized that I needed to cut back on the computer time. I was only allowing each child to play for 30 minutes, but with three of them playing it ended up being 1 and a half hours. During that time, they were either playing or waiting their turn, and did not really start doing anything else.

RuthAnn

I have found that my kids will do this very thing! They will sit and watch each other, and then it makes me wish they would do something else with their time...having 1 person per day is a good idea. We just kind of do it haphazardly, but then they all want their turn. I can see how having it be one person's turn each day would eliminate that...and they would each still get 2 times per week on the computer. I would have to tell them they can't sit and watch, though. :? We may try this....it would help them to know exactly what day they get to use the computer, and they don't have to wonder when their next chance will be.

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:33 pm

inhistiming,

They are very good about keeping up with whose turn it is (they obviously have ulterior motives, here). And I have also made a "no watching" rule. They lose some of their computer time if they are watching someone else when it's not their turn. I don't always catch them when they do it, but they know that that is the rule. :-)
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

Amey

Post by Amey » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Hmmm...I'm still not sure I completely understand, but I'll chime in anyway :D

Right now, this is how my boys fill their free time:

Yesterday I handed them a box of sidewalk chalk and suggested they make a town on the driveway. Off they went to collect their Hotwheels and they were out there for a good hour, drawing roads and trees and buildings and driving around. 8)

They have been using their Lincoln Logs in much the same way on their bedroom floor, turning them into roads and neighborhoods.

Looking at books during our quiet time.

Lots of their games include 'sword-fighting' with drumsticks or other things they find. This is usually done while wearing a cape or one of their other costumes from their costume box. :D

Riding their bikes is always a favorite

Right now my six year old has a little journal his Dad bought him that he draws pictures in of our family, the cats, and spells words that we are working on for school, attempts to sound out and spell words etc.

Play board-games like Sequence for Kids or Sillyfaces.

Draw comic strips (6 yr old)

Hmm..that's all I can think of for now :D
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:02 pm

water2wine - I liked how you grouped your post. That makes sense to me. I can see how different ideas come from different areas, and how that changes what kind of thing they are doing. Our boys have a lot of free time, and have no trouble filling it. Sometimes I just find myself wanting there to be more of a product from their free time. I'm hoping this comes more with age for them. I started handicrafts this year, and that has been great. They get to do it on Fridays, and they love it. It is also helping me remember to teach a skill and then let them go with it on their own (i.e. how to latch-hook, how to do perler beads, how to cross-stitch, etc.). I am thinking hard about what you said about turning your living room into a craft room. That in itself would really encourage "creative" time. Our playdough, art supplies, etc. are all in our homeschool cabinet, which may for them make it seem like they are just for school time. Hmmmmmm... now where would a craft room work in our home? (Where the toddler can't destroy it... :lol: ). I think I've got some ideas. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts - I really took a lot from it.

Everyone - thank you for your ideas about masterly inactivity! I have thoroughly enjoyed being " a fly on the wall" vicariously as I read your posts. My worries are put to rest (for the most part :wink: ). I think enough masterly inactivity is going on here, but now I've got some new ideas to provide the opportunity for masterly inactivity to branch out more here. Thanks!!!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Julie,

I really do not know too much about all this CM stuff. I am reading more and more about it all the time but I have to admit the term Masterly Inactivity is a new one for me. :oops: But you mentioned life skill training and things that will help them go on their way. I sometimes find a lot of inspiration from Bigger on this. All the things that people knew how to do way back when that were very valuable skills and the things sometimes they did not know and was part of the problem. I try to take all those moments and teach deeper on things that relate to what is being studied but apply to today. I am really wanting to train them well on life skills. If that is not off topic it would be a good thread. I think it applies. I'll give you a short list of things we do for that as well.

Some life skills things we have done.
-Training them how to do chores and tasks around the house well. (I even have a book we read you would laugh if I told you what it was but you get the idea. We actually look up how to clean whatever it is we are cleaning and then decide what we will include in our actual cleaning.)
-We have included them in things like tiling a floor.
-I am faux painting so I am teaching them a little about that.
-I need to reseal some grout in the bathrooms they will seem and help me with that. Pretty much any home project they are included in or a few at time whatever works best for the task, eventually they all get it.
- I include them in list making especially if we are making a list of tasks that need to be done around the house and how we will fix what. Or how we will do a project and all the preplanning.
- We sometimes include them in finance talks and I explain to them how I pay bills etc and gauge how much money we have to spend on what. Later I will go into all that in detail. I really think all kids would benefit from an accounting class before they graduate.
- I make cards and they have seen that skill so they are now learning how to make their own fancy cards.
- We have a soux chef program and in that they help me put things together for dinner the night of but also they are learning to cook in bulk.
- I am teaching them all the skills I have in baking and cake decorating, and we start out general then get specific with one topic at a time.
- I take questions they have in science and teach them from what I know in biotech. (If I had a different profession I would teach them that. I was a dental assistant so sometimes I even teach them things that come from that, oddly what comes from that a lot is just organizing all the tools and items you need for a task and picturing in your mind what you will need ahead of time. That is a great skill to have, who would have thought ti would come from dental assisting. Eventually dh will teach computer programing)
-Dog training is one we are working on but desperately failing. But they also help me care for the pets as well and some day we will have success.
-Eventually I am going to teach them to sew. Right now Knitting is the thing even my son. I would love to learn more about quilt making and make a big quilt with all their sewing.
-Most of them know how to make a shopping list and check for what we need. I have them make a list and then I check it and add to it. Dh does the shopping usually.
- Last but most important is we are teaching them how to really study the Bible and when they have questions how to search for the answer.

Those are just a few life skill things that I can think of at the moment. I think in the end if you transfer to them the loves and passions you have along the way they might not pick the same passions but they will learn to find their own and that sadly is a skill many people lack in life. I guess basically I like to have a lot of hobbies and I do a lot of the stuff around the house that I can so dh can work. I have found I can have my cake and eat it too if I include them in my hobbies a little and the things I do here and there. Hope something there gives you ideas. We all have special things we can give to our children and knowledge that is unique to share with them. I like letting living our life bring things and also thinking about what I wish I knew back then and then mix that in with the things I enjoy in life. My husband does the same and they end up getting a good mix.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:17 pm

I too have to admit that I haven't heard the term "masterly inactivity" before this thread. :oops: Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm not sure if this all falls into that catagory or not, but this is the stuff that my children do in their free time.

Evelyn loves (obsessed might be a better word :D ) horses and anything to do with them, so she spends lots of her time either playing with her little (realistic looking...and anatomically correct :shock: ) horses and the barn she has for them. Often times even while playing outside she pretends she is on a farm and is feeding her horses, mucking stalls and such. Sometimes she also feeds her chickens (that is SOOOO cute btw!)

She also loves to color (hahahah....mostly horses! :D ). Actually Joshua is starting to love to color as well.
Julie wrote:Our playdough, art supplies, etc. are all in our homeschool cabinet, which may for them make it seem like they are just for school time
Our coloring books/crayons are on our homeschool shelf as well, but the kids just help themselves....although they do ask first. I've been meaning to post pictures of our shelf/desk on the organizing HOD thread....I'll get to that soon I hope!

Joshua loves anything with wheels..."diggers", cars, trucks, 18-wheelers, trains, etc. He plays with those often. He (Evelyn can now too for the most part), tell you which cars are American made and which are foreign. He loves to take out his train tracks and set them up into different configurations.

When they ride bikes outside, the bikes are either horses that they have taken out for a ride or they make a giant chalk oval in the driveway and it is the race track and they play NASCAR......depends on who starts the play I guess. :lol:

Evelyn also likes to play with her Little House on the Prairie paper dolls.

Of course Play-doh.

Painting.

I would love to teach her how to sew, knit, crotchet or something along those lines but sadly, I don't know how. :(

Puzzles.

That is just some of the stuff they do/play. Is that remotely close to Masterly Inactivity???? :lol:
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:53 pm

holyhart wrote:I would love to teach her how to sew, knit, crotchet or something along those lines but sadly, I don't know how. :(
You know what is great about kids? they are great company for learning all the things you really wanted to learn but never got around to trying. :D I know a little knitting but I now that my kids are into it I may learn a little more. And what I really want to learn is crotchet. So we may learn that together. Isn't it great to have this time when we can do fun stuff like this again and actually have it benefit our kids. :D

So let me know when you start the crotchet club. I want to learn too! :lol:

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:12 pm

water2wine wrote:
holyhart wrote:I would love to teach her how to sew, knit, crotchet or something along those lines but sadly, I don't know how. :(
You know what is great about kids? they are great company for learning all the things you really wanted to learn but never got around to trying. :D I know a little knitting but I now that my kids are into it I may learn a little more. And what I really want to learn is crotchet. So we may learn that together. Isn't it great to have this time when we can do fun stuff like this again and actually have it benefit our kids. :D

So let me know when you start the crotchet club. I want to learn too! :lol:
Amen!! I am learning piano and French currently. Things I always wanted to know, but never started until my kids started to learn them. I think crotchet sounds fabulous. :) I can cross stitch, but that's about it.

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I'm going to a mom's group at a local church. The focus is Titus 2, the older women teaching and encouraging the younger women how to love their husbands and to love and train their children. I LOVE it!! Anyway, they are going to be starting a "skills" class as well to teach all those sort of "lost art" type things that women used to do together. The pastor's wife says that there is a whole generation of women that never really were taught these things because they were all raised up to go into the work field. Things like cooking/baking (I don't need help there as that is one of my favorite hobbies, but fun to do with others none the less!), canning, jamming, sewing, knitting, crotcheting, possibly quilting....that type of stuff! I am so excited I can't stand it! :mrgreen: Especially so I can then do them with my children!

I did recently buy Crocheting for Dummies so that I could start learning and then doing it with Evelyn. I was thinking as a Christmas present getting her some of those pot holder making things....would that count towards 'masterly inactivity'?
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:22 am

water2wine - THANK you for your life skills list! For once, I am feeling like I'm getting that covered pretty well. I hadn't thought about how many things we're doing that fit that list, so I am celebrating a moment here. :lol: I think that life skills will be needed to be taught for a very long time. (I believe my parents are still be teaching me some life skills! :wink: ) I also have taken from your posts, as well as others, how important it is that I keep learning new things, so that I have new things to show them. In the last few years, I have really begun to love to cook, and try new recipes, and I also enjoy scrapbooking (though I don't get to it nearly as often as I'd like.) I bought a drawing book as well, and need to enjoy that again. I am always reading this or that - my truly favorite thing to do! :D And, I actually bought a bike (definitely a "granny bike" :lol: ) and a baby bike trailer to ride with my boys. But, there are many more things I'd enjoy doing, and I realize from what you said how important it is to pick things that can be done at home because I have a much better shot of getting them done. 8) Good food for thought!

In Christ,
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:26 am

Kelly - It looks like you've got a bunch of neat things going on at home! Cross-stitch is a good start, and I used to crochet a LONG time ago for 4-H. Maybe Evelyn and you and I can learn it together? :lol: Anyway, thanks for sharing!

In Christ,
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie